Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

best modds to the 2002 grizzly?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2002, 12:15 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey,
the itp rims are wider than he is telling you. i have before and after pictures of them being installed, and you can easly see they are wider. the stock width is 46 1/2 i think, but with the new rims, i am 50 inchs wide. i have a trailer that is 51 inchs wide, and it barly fits in. the legal trail limits where i live are 50 1/2 inchs wide, and i barly cover it. if i ever get a flat, i could be ticketed, lmao!!!check them out in my pictures, i took good pics of before, during, and after!

my pictures

Old 03-27-2002, 12:30 PM
Pro Rider

Mich660~

Well, had some time on the grizz this last Sunday. WOW! Let me tell you, in low range, I stabbed the throttle, and almost went over backwords. I was darn near verticle before my sense kicked in and I let off. Left a fairly bad stain in my seat. <LOL> Anyways, spent the rest of the day bringing the front end off the ground but throttle alone. Simply, mind blowing amazing.

SilverBear

Old 03-27-2002, 12:53 PM
Pro Rider

Well . . . this morning I just found out the facts regarding the C-Series rims for the '02 Grizz. They do make two different offsets. The one to use to maintain almost stock offset is the 5+2, which would gain you about 1/2" each side. The same 4 rims should be used front and back to maintain this offset.

Now they also make a 2+5 which means you would gain 3-1/2" width outside on each side. They indicated that for some uses with 28" tires it's necessary to get the clearance without adding wheel spacers to prevent rubbing on certain atv's.

The tech support person I spoke with at ITP this morning indicated that some tire/rim dealers apparently don't know the difference between 5+2 or 2+5 (yup, boneheads) and are sending out whatever they can get their hands on because the rims are in short supply. They also indicated that their 27" ITP 589's with the 5+2's will clear just fine on the '02 Grizz to the best of their knowledge. You get 1/2" wider out and 1/2 more clearance inside with these rims.

I thought I was seeing things since many of you obviously have the 2+5's, not the 5+2 rims which is causing the tires to stick way out. I was at the Yamaha dealer yesterday and saw a set of 27" 589's on 5+2 rims on a Tan Grizz and they work fine without having to add the fender extenders's.

This is a sore spot with me since I've tired with wide offset on other atv's (Polaris) in the past and don't like it at all. They handle poorly and are very hard to turn/maneuver in tight spots. Also they make it difficult to load/unload in the back of my pickup since there is only 49" between the wheel wells (sold both trailers).

Does $6500 + sales tax (no freight or prep charges either) sound like a good deal on new '02 red Grizz 660? Sounds pretty good to me. I think I'll go buy it this afternoon.

Old 03-27-2002, 01:16 PM
Pro Rider

hey silverbear,
it is THAT easy to lift it now?? man, i know i am gunna get killed by the miss for doing it, but if you dont mind, i think i just might follow your lead and start modifying mine like you did. i cant emagine it to be that responcive with larger tires on it. the larger tires really slowed mine down, so i swap them for differant terrain, but with the upgrading i am gunna do, i wont have to. thanks alot silverbear!!!
hey jack,
i really dont know if the smaller offset tires will work! with my offset rims and 26 in titan 589, i can rum the top of the inner fender if i bottom out while turning hard! it rarly does it, and i have to be really tearing it up, but it has happened. with the same size tires and normal offsetting rims, i am sure i would be hitting the inside of the wheelwell on sharp turns.

my pictures

Old 03-30-2002, 10:52 AM
Weekend Warrior

hey just wondering were you got your fender flares at. the dealer here says they cant get them yet .was wondering if you could give me some more info on them and what brand they were. thanks grizster