Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Submerged Engine

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2002, 09:02 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Today my buddy and I tried to cross a stream. First he went in with his Polaris. Got about 3 feet out when he got stuck. I winched him out with my 02 Grizzly and then I went in. I made it out about 5 feet when I got stuck. While I waited for him to pull me out the water started to flow across the back of my seat. My machine eventually died. After pulling it out, I tried to start it and it would not. Pulled the plug and it was wet!
Drained the oil and there was water evident in the oil. So my question...What else should I do? I am letting it dry out in the garage over night. Is there anything I should do to flush the cylinder?

Old 03-17-2002, 10:10 PM
Pro Rider

mmm you whent over your snorkle if water was flowing over the seat just when you get it running keep changeing the oil ALOT!! it costs but that's the only way to do it without alot of work. few times run it for a few sec's and shut it run and keep pour alittle 2 stroke mix in it. do this like 4 or 5 time's and for the bottom end just run it for a sec sec's the frist 3 or 4 times and change the oil after that every few minute's when your oil just has a gery tint to it you can run your quad awhile "go rideing" then just keep changeing it fairly offen till theres no gery

Old 03-18-2002, 01:25 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Flushing it with oil does work well, but I have found that if you fill your motor up with desil first and drain it you won't have to do as many oil changes to clean it up.

Old 03-23-2002, 10:26 AM
Trailblazer

Ok, A little follow up. The water came in through the exhaust, not the intake breather box. It was nice and dry. I ended up hanging the Grizz by its nose in the garage. A LOT of water poured out of the exhaust! NOT GOOD. Well, I finally got it running and man did it create a lot of steam. The oil is foamy [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] So it looks like I will be doing a couple of frequent oil changes. Well, now I now how deep it can go. MAN was that water cold! Its pretty cool having a wife that just laughs at this type of stuff and doesnt get upset about drowing a $7000 toy [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Time for some snorkels!

Old 03-26-2002, 04:04 PM
Weekend Warrior

Water can be a bad problem....here is what you do....1.Determine whether water got into the oil (will be light gray)..2. Do not drive it if it has water in oil.3.Drain oil 4.Fill it up with cheap automatic transmission fluid (the transmission fluid mixes better with the oil)5. Let the engine run for about 2 minutes. 6. Drain the fluid out.7 Refill with cheap oil 8. Run for about 2 minutes. 9. Drain oil. 10. Repeat until oil is clean. This works very well.