Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Need help splitting cases on Banshee...PLEASE!

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2002, 02:59 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gonna help a bud diagnose his Banshee problem.
His rear brake lever wore through the side case.....leaked all of his fluid out....and something gave-way in the tranny. The Atv still starts and will roll in gear....but their is a major "clicking" sound in the tranny. Since I have never had to split Banshee cases....can anyone give me a couple of pointers dis-assembling the case and checking parts out inside? All replies are VERY APPRECIATED!!!

Old 03-18-2002, 03:35 PM
Pro Rider

From what I remember, it's not that bad of a job, but I haven't done it in a year or 2..

Unhook everything, pull the motor..
start by pulling the side cases.. (stator and clutch)
then take off the head and cylinders..
pull the flywheel (you WILL need a yamaha flywheel puller for this "special part&quot
take the stator off..
pull the clutch apart, take the cluth basket off
that should be just about everything needed to split the cases..
take out the 10 or so bolts that keep the cases together..

While I was in there I'd check the crank bearings, any noise/rough spots I'd replace either the bearings or the entire crank assembly. A replacement crank is sub $400 if needed..

You'll need the entire engine gasket set to put the motor back together, and some yamabond 5 for the cases.

It's important the cases seal up around the crank, any leak around the crank will wreck havoc on performance once you put it together..

Brad

Old 03-18-2002, 03:39 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Thanks Brad....should the left side case come off first too keep from making a parts mess? Again Thanks!

Old 03-18-2002, 04:01 PM
Pro Rider

Sorry to say, it's a parts mess no matter what you do.. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

The bolts for the side cases are different lengths, even on the same side.. (but easy enough to figure out what goes where)

If you don't have a manual, I would get one before taking on this much of a project..

Make sure you have the flywheel puller and a good impact for pulling the flwheel BEFORE you start..

And again I can't say how important it is to properly seal up the crank assembly. A buddy of mine didn't get his sealed good and the damn thing wouldn't run right no matter what we did. We spent 2 months chasing this down until we split the cases and resealed, then it finally ran right.

Brad

Old 03-18-2002, 04:05 PM
Pro Rider

When you replace the bearings in the tranny put the new bearings in the freezer overnight when you get ready to put the bearings in, put the cases in the oven on 200F for about 45min. The old bearings will slip out easy when the cases are hot, then slip the new ( frozen ) bearings in the hot case. When the cold bearings heat up and the cases cool down you got a good tight fit and you won't have to hammer the bearings in this way.