Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Questions about the Raptor

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2002, 08:40 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, been ATV'n since 1984 when my first ride was a 84 200X (see signiture for current rides). 38 years old about 200# and was thinking about upgrading my ATV to a Raptor. Most of my riding is high speed woods trails and an occasional MX track.

I have been reading for some time about some of the 01 problems and wondered if the 02 bikes have been corrected. I have seen a few Raptors up close (never ridden one) and the first thing that I noticed was the narrow width of the axle. Has anyone out there replaced the axle with at least a +2? any major improvements.

Would like to hear from some of you that have had 250R's or 400EX's that have changed over to the Raptor. I love the "R" but it would be nice to get something alittle newer and the electric start and reverse would be a plus.

Any info anyone can pass along would be appreciated.

Old 03-20-2002, 09:54 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

The Raptor is nice, but like you said, its narrow, adn has a pretty short wheel base, although that is a plus for the woods. A few friends have both the 2001 and the 2002 years. The 2001 has had no problmes, but its the wifes bike so that probably explains that. The 2002 did have the '01's problems fixed. My one friend has had no trouble with the tranny and he rides it pretty hard. HAve you thought about the Cannondale Cannibal. 4 stroke, electric start, aluminum frame and fuel injected. Awesome bikes, I might make it my next bike, depending on reliability, but so far, so good.

RoostKing...

Old 03-20-2002, 10:22 AM
Elite Pro Rider

I have been riding bikes/trikes/atv's since the early 80's as well. Owned various 250r's and a 400ex. Some guys do increase the rear width (+4) with an aftermarket axle.....you will have to do this mod for some reasonably aggresive mxing. Then, you will be very close to stock R handling and slightly better than a 400ex handling on the track. I added some +1 offset rear wheels and the Raptor is perfect for me.....I rarely MX anymore though.
For trail riding, the Raptor is ready as-is after adding some skid plates. After you get used to moving around a lot more and shifting your body weight, the Raptor is an absolute blast (this is a good thing....the Raptor is designed for the pilot to hang off the side with the throttle pinned). One magazine review said "riding the Raptor is like driving a Cadillac with the northstar system".....I agree 110%.
On the down side, us '01 Raptor owners are waiting for the other shoe too fall with the weak transmission....and I am sure Yamaha will not stand behind this design flaw. This is a major problem that could toast an entire engine. So obviously you will need an '02. Besides the problem of Yamaha not standing behind their product, the Raptor rocks. My $.02 cents....

Old 03-20-2002, 10:25 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Like Roost posted.....take a look at the C-dale atv's as well. The Z400 is another option soon....but of course unproven.

Old 03-20-2002, 11:22 AM
Trailblazer

I do a lot of trail riding on mine, but very little MX. Only real complaint is that it's tippy at high speeds in corners (usually solved with a 2+2 axle) and it's very flippish on steep climbs (usually solved with a +1 or +2 swingarm). As I said in another post, it literally gives me cold chills in the rare event I stall it climbing something. Getting it moving again is not fun; but that has a lot to do with the rider in question. I bumped my idle up a little bit, and I'm quick to clutch if it sounds like it's bogging out.

I'm still debating myself. Some of the trails I've ridden I've bumped both rear tires where it's very narrow, and the idea of getting stuck because I'm 4" wider does not appeal in the least. I still much prefer flat tracking and MX (though I'm not very brave yet hehe), and the rare events I get to play in the sand, so I think I'm going to get the extra width and length and if it proves a problem on the trails I'll just ride my bike.

The 'dales look nice, but they're still lacking reverse. This is almost a must for a serious trail rider. I cannot imagine having to get off this thing in the woods and push it around. Ugh.