Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Raptor vs FMF piped shee, here's the update

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2002, 08:21 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I ran the Raptor with big gun slip on, K&N pro flow, no lid, dynojet kit against the FMF piped shee. Suprisingly by following dynojet's instructions on my jetting a stock raptor was flat stomping me and the shee's were way out front. I jetted up to the maximum size jets in the kit and just started to outpower the stock raptor, barely. It wasnt too far off the banshee's. In hillclimbing some outrageously steep dunes (winchester bay OR) it had plenty of power, I just needed bigger heuvos to really hit it up some of those dunes. My observations of the dynojet kit is that they are way too conservative in jetting reccomendations. The raptor was jetted way off what they suggest for a slip on to gain any power at all. The big gun aids in bottom end torque but doesnt rev out any higher. I'll definitely buy a different pipe. I'm probably gonna just spring for the Yoshi and ebay my Big Gun. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Old 03-25-2002, 09:56 PM
Pro Rider

Something doesn't make sense. My GYTR tip, no lid on the airbox, White Brothers Powerfilter, and Dynojet kit (148/150 jets at sea level) will stomp any stock Raptor into the ground. It is a night and day difference.

/NotuRaptor

Old 03-25-2002, 10:02 PM
Pro Rider

I raced a fmf piped banshee yesterday and beat him by about 5 bikes or so. He couldnt believe it.He said no raptor has beat him before. he also had prowedges like me.
Rudy

Old 03-25-2002, 11:15 PM
Pro Rider

It doesnt make sense that dynojet reccomends the smaller jets in the kit to be used in conjunction with a high flow slip on. I am running the 146/148 dynojet mains as they neglected to include a 150 in my kit. After calling dynojet on this they said they will ship me a 150 right away, so I cant complain about their service. I will say the setup instructions are alot leaner than they should be. I am hoping I wont have to order bigger mains after I install a full system. As far as my Big Gun slip on goes, I think it's more noise than power. I will say the quad is pretty torquey feeling but alot louder. With the quiet core installed it felt alot weaker than the race core. I'm really leaning towards the Yoshimura full system but still considering the CT. It's probably going to come down to the price.

Old 03-26-2002, 12:04 AM
Trailblazer

Mr. 45 Auto,

I dont know what is the story with your bike but I can tell you about mine. I had my bike stock and my friend got the e-series slip on. I beat him in drags repeatedly. Then the K&N and jet kit arrived and things changed dramatically. Even if I got a good start, he would just power by me and leave me in the dust. I mean MUCH faster; he could blow by me at will.

Needless to say, I got the same kit. The power difference is UNBELIEVABLE. It doesnt feel like the same bike.

Old 03-26-2002, 05:47 AM
EDD
Trailblazer

I ran in to the same thing with the jetting issue.both my raptors felt flat on top and when I went to the max jet size they are wayy faster.I turned up my air screw 1/4 above the recomendations and that gave it more torqe,im considering going up on my pilot jet but I dont know if its needed.both raptors were faster than stock but a little flat on top..the jets made a diffrence...
If you unbolt the front gas tank mounts behind the grill you can silde the tank out of there and not remove the front fenders.saves a little time...
EDD

Old 03-26-2002, 09:48 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Even though you have the restrictive quiet core Big Gun (probably about the same as the baffle removed from original exhaust), you still should have been spanking the stock Raptor.
First of all, put the lid back on.....I seriously doubt that silencer will flow enough to take advantage of the increased intake air flow. Then jet back down to reasonable levels for your set-up. Go two sizes above what Dyno-jet recommends, then when you are wide open and let off the gas.....if the engine has a slight shutter/bog....you are too rich.....go down a level in jet sizes. Go down 'till you don't have that shutter/bog when leaving the wide open throttle position.

Old 03-26-2002, 01:32 PM
Pro Rider

There is no bogging when letting off the gas. Right now my plug looks a little dark but it was white before. It feels strong right now. Even though it doesnt dramatically outrun the stock raptor it does hold higher gears longer before needing to downshift. I was climbing dunes in 3rd that the stock Raptor needed 2nd for. Not really any faster but it would lug better. Btw, I only felt the power come on after I pulled the quiet core and installed the open race core.

Old 03-26-2002, 01:32 PM
Pro Rider

Mr45,

You should try just the GYT-R slip on with the stock header pipe. You have all the rest (filter and jet kit). I haven't seen or raced against a Yosh, but my friend has the GYT-R with no lid, pro design filter, and jetted properly, and he is the closest competition to my CT Raptor.

I expect the Yosh to be good, but I have experience with the GYT-R, and it is a better cost option than the CT, for close to CT performance.

RM