Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Another Project....Need some input.

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2002, 12:57 AM
The Facility
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First of all, I am still running the 250X and Cannibal for woods, but want something different for the small bore class in moto-cross.

A Blaster with extended A-arms, swingarm, disc brakes, WP suspension, AND a YZ250F engine.

I never thought that the YZ250F engine would have the low end power for a quad, but after riding the bike more, I feel that with proper gearing, It might work.

I have access to pretty much everything needed for the swap, but I need to know if anyone has tried this yet. I've seen all the 400 & 426 hybrids, but I want something "bizarre" for the smaller class.

What do you guys think?? Has anyone tried it??

Old 03-30-2002, 01:00 AM
Pro Rider

Sounds like you have too much money & too much time on your hands! LOL [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 03-30-2002, 01:15 AM
The Facility

LOL....I wish that I had either. I have always had a friend of mine who builds Mini Sprint chassis build all my suspension pieces for nearly nothing. Same chromoly used by all the big companies that charge from 600.00-up for a set a A-arms. Ridiculous. Did you guys know that you can get a whole set of chromoly A-arms for a Mini Sprint for 200.00!!! The aftermarket companies are such a rip.

As far as time goes, ALL my spare time is devoted to ATV's. It's always been that way. I'm sure alot of you can relate.

As far as everything else, I get dealer cost, so I have a few special priveledges that only a handful on here get. I'm not a schmo.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 03-30-2002, 01:28 AM
Pro Rider

I know how it is I'm a Fire Fighter so I've got plenty of time (I work 24hrs on & 48hrs off) but not enough money.
A buddy of mine builds dune buggie & sand dragster frames,(Chassis Works) We can weld up a set of a-arms in a couple of hours using about $30 worth of steel! We built a wheelie bar for my Raptor too, I've got pics of it on my web site check it out. It's nice because what tools I don't have he does.
The parts game is quite a racket!

Old 03-30-2002, 02:23 AM
Pro Rider

Sounds like an awsome set up. If you have a good chassis and a 250F motor laying around go for it. The only porblem would be the motor height and where to place the radiator. You could so what some of the H20 blaster guys are doing and put the rad where the stock pipe goes on the left side. The Thumper pipe will work wonders fot this, and it will be more simple. I would love to see a blaster with a white brothers pipe at the rear. The most critical part it getting ALL of the YZ's ELECTRICAL SYSTEM. You may want to get the WR's electrical system so you can run lights, if you want to. Also getting the Drive chain Sprokets in line will be about the most critical part of the swap, but with your buddy I am sure you will have no problem. I have not heard of anybody doing this swap already but there always has to be a first.

If and when you biuld this quad, it will be a major head turner. With all of your sources and tools avalible this project will be a breeze. Personly i would get the WR Version becasue i do belive the transmition gear ratios are closer together than the YZ ( if i am wrong please correct me)! And the fact the electrical system has the capablities to run lights. Good luck and keep us posted.

Old 03-30-2002, 02:52 AM
The Facility

Actually the WR's ratios are further apart than the YZ version. The lighting coil to support the lighting is in the engine cases on the WR.

I don't have the engine yet. I am waiting to check the feasability of doing this swap right now. If I decide to go through with it, I will just get the first one that comes in on a trade in.

It will most likely be the YZ version because the WR's are no where near as popular making it harder to find.

Old 03-30-2002, 01:27 PM
Pro Rider

Sorry. Thanks for refershing my mind about the WR's gear ratio's. They are farther apart to keep the motor in low end range for the wood racing. This swap should work with time. Go for it and keep us updated.

Old 03-30-2002, 04:21 PM
Pro Rider

I don't know if I'd use the blaster chasis. I'd stuff it into something stronger. The blaster engine is hard on the chasis as it is (what i've noticed from my own experience). I'd go with something like a warrior frame or even a Honda. To each his own i guess.

Old 03-30-2002, 06:56 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i now its has been done there was one exact thing you want to build already done and working so it cant be to hard small aera

Old 03-30-2002, 07:04 PM
Pro Rider

KNOWSALOT, I dunno man. I think I would try to find another frame. Besides, then you'd have to deal with that ugly Blaster plastic!

Quick Reply: Another Project....Need some input.