Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Banshee tire Size, What do you run?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2002, 11:51 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I want to get new rear tires for my new banshee that I just bought and was wondering what the best size is to go with keeping the stock rims.

I am thinking razr's, what do you guys think. What are your favorite banshee tires and what do you think about the razr's?

Thanks

Old 04-02-2002, 01:14 AM
Trailblazer

I run the Ohtsu 501 radials on my Banshee. Tried a friends and bought a set. Now on my second set.

Ohstu 501 radials get excellent traction on all types of terrain.

Regards,

Rog

Old 04-02-2002, 09:52 AM
Pro Rider

I run 22" tires on mine. The stock 20"'s just weren't cutting it for trail riding.

Believe it or not but straight line performance stayed about the same.

Take care.

-Josh

Old 04-02-2002, 12:52 PM
Eq
Trailblazer

My Shee These are OLD pics. I have many new mods but no pics yet.

Old 04-02-2002, 02:38 PM
Trailblazer

I run a size 2

Old 04-02-2002, 03:10 PM
Pro Rider

how wide are you guys running. Piranha, you say there wasn't much difference when you changed size, Was there any? Also do they look funny because they are way bigger?

Old 04-02-2002, 03:15 PM
Range Rover

Hey Eq, how do you like those rear holeshots?

Old 04-02-2002, 03:31 PM
Pro Rider

You can check out the pics on my site....They do look quite a bit bigger and next time I think that I will go for something with less agressive tread so they are less noticable.

Performance wise I didn't see a change at all, but I did not do any scientific testing. Before I put my tires my friend and I drag raced (he has a '01 Shee). I could pull him a little bit in 2nd-3rd gear and they were dead even on top end. I raced him after the tire change with the same results (Note: This is on black top).

I noticed some positive and some negative changes in other areas...mainly positive though.

First of all the extra 2" really made a difference...it felt like it added about a foot of clearence under the thing. Before the swap I was bottoming out everywhere I went, regardless of how careful I was. On the trails that is great.

I also got much better straight line traction in all conditions. The stock tires are pretty worthless so this wasn't a big suprise.

Now for a couple of negatives...

I used to be able to pull a wheelie in 4th on flat ground, but after the swap I could no longer get a good wheelie in 4th unless I had a little hill to go over (However this counterbalances itself because with the new found traction of the new tires I could now wheelie in other terrain where I would have just spun before).

Another negative would have to be that the quad isn't quite as good of a slider now (you know, "dirt trackin" it around the old dirt roads. That's not a big deal though.

Then another negative would be the looks I suppose. I don't really think it looks bad, but it would look better with some other less agressive tires. I don't want to look like some hick mudbogger (no offense to anybody that goes for that).

Overall though it has really improved the trailability of it. The guys I ride with both have 22's on their's and I found myself having a hard time keeping up with them on the trails with the stock tires. We ride in mud, snow, water, hard pack, grass, you name it, and the Dirt Devils do pretty good in all of them.

If you don't like the aggressive tires like those take a look at the pictures section of my page under Matthew's 2001 Banshee and look at his tires. They are 22" Chevron style tires and they look pretty good. They aren't gawdy looking, and they still work great.

Anyway, if you have any other questions let me know. Take care.

-Josh

Old 04-02-2002, 03:37 PM
Eq
Trailblazer

<< Hey Eq, how do you like those rear holeshots? >>

LOVE THEM. They have unbelievable traction in all conditions. They are very good at self cleaning also.

I see you are in Michigan. We should meet up and ride. I have two other buddies with Shees that will ride ANYTIME...

Old 04-02-2002, 03:59 PM
Range Rover

Cool, I'm glad the holeshots work good. I just bought a set of 20&quot; for the rear, but I haven't had a chance to put them on yet.

I'm usually always ready to go riding. I'll watch for any upcoming rides being posted here, or on the MATVA website.

Quick Reply: Banshee tire Size, What do you run?