Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Dyno Results

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2002, 06:06 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I finally got the correct files for the Dyno Viewer. Here are a couple of my runs HP and Torque. I am still confused how other shops are able to produce the results posted in magazines? I would like to hear from those who have run their Raptors on Dynojet 168/188's, just to try and figure out the difference in HP numbers. Maybe its just my motor?

Dyno Results

Old 04-05-2002, 06:21 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Two questions. What changes did you make between runs? This is more of a comment but I can't believe you are only getting 70 MPH out of it. What is your gearing?

Old 04-05-2002, 07:03 PM
Pro Rider

Jetting changes were made between the runs. The higher HP runs #5&6 were jetting at 155/160 compared to the Run#1 at 160/165.

The reason for only achieving 70mph was because the run was made in 4th gear and I am running 13/42 gearing.

Old 04-05-2002, 08:29 PM
Pro Rider

You are only getting 50 HP with a 686 damn. They got 50 HP out of just a pipe and jetting. Are you happy with these numbers?

Old 04-05-2002, 08:48 PM
Range Rover

I would be nice to see two machines run on the same dyno, by the same tester, this way you know the tests are being done the same for both.

To see 50hp from 686, then see in mags where they are getting 50 or so from 1 that just has a pipe, jet kit and filter. Makes you wonder is something being done wrong? Is someone full of it?
Or is zrwhat's raptor lazy. Hope not it looks like you have put big cash into it.

Zrwhat did you build a little at a time? If so could you notice power gains from one change to another? How was it against other Raptors with the same mods. What I'm getting at here is this test 100% And if so how did these mags get there # so high with so little mods.

Old 04-05-2002, 08:57 PM
Trailblazer

ZRWHAT
I'm sure I can help you decipher your issues if you answer a few questions for me. Give me the tire description and air pressure you used on the dyno? Did they check for wheel slip? How did they hold the bike down in the back? Did they do a ratchet tie down? Was there any chamber work done to the head? Did you install the larger intake valve?

Old 04-05-2002, 09:56 PM
Pro Rider

I don't feel as bad about my 41.3 dyno with my mods listed below. But rember all dynos are diffrent as well as the operators, It can make a diffrence how it is operated.

My pulls were on an automotive dyno, I am going to dyno it again in the heat of the summer, this time on an ATV dyno. I'll post the results. To see my original dyno results do a search for "real world Raptor dyno test results".

Harry, do you think an automotive dyno (like I used) will give diffrent results than an ATV dyno (the inside of both tires were about 2" each off the inside of the rollers)? Also what is your opinion about running witout the airbox lid? When I dynoed mine all the curves were very smooth except for the pull without the lid, The curve on that pull (the seat was on) looked like a roller coaster! I did gain about 1 HP but with the erratic curve is it really an improvement?

Old 04-05-2002, 10:28 PM
Pro Rider

RaptorRider660R: Well the numbers aren't what I'd expected, I was looking for 58-63, but I was 10hp above any other quad they(Dreyer Yamaha/Honda, Indianapolis) had dyno'ed to date. The shop that I dyno'ed at had another raptor with pipe/jet kit/intake kit/high comp std. bore piston that dyno'ed at 39, and that was the highest before I got there.

Radman: Yep, I did the pipe/intake/jet kit first and it made a huge difference. Never had it dyno'ed but I did race few 250r's, Banshee's, 400ex's, some built and had no problems with any of them except for the built banshee on top end he blew by. Then I installed the 686 and it was again night and day different, very similar to installing the pipe/intake/jet kit on a stocker. I can't wait to get out to a drag strip or the dunes to find out what I've really got! It beats the s#it out of me why its only dynoing at 50hp?

HarryMcDermott: Tires were Razr's 20X11-9 6-ply Razr and Rim They had 4.5lbs of air, but they are a very stiff sidewall being 6-ply. Didn't check for wheel slip, the guy running the dyno didn't mention anything, not sure how you would check for slip? They did use Ratchet ties in the rear. There was some very minor chamber work, relieved the valves slightly in the chamber, concave instead of angling the wall to the bore diameter. I did not do the larger intake valve. I'm not dissapointed with the performance because I know its night and day different than it was with just the pipe and std. bolt-ons, but the numbers just don't make sense. I should have been in the 50hp range before I did any internal work, according to the magazines and what I have read here on the forums. Thanks for the help!

Old 04-05-2002, 10:33 PM
Pro Rider

Here is the address to the tires, for some reason the link isn't working?

http://www.geocities.com/zrwhat.geo/...ace-Wheel2.JPG

Old 04-06-2002, 12:40 AM
Pro Rider

You are testing horsepower at the rear wheels, who's to say that the people in the mags aren't doing hp at the crank.

Quick Reply: Dyno Results