Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Kodiak's up's and down's

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2000, 08:01 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, Im gonna be getting a new 4-wheeler in the next week or so. Im am thinking very highly of the 2000 Kodiak 4x4. What I want to know is what is it's strong and weak points. Thanks

Old 02-27-2000, 08:27 PM
Pro Rider

I have one with 17 hours on it. No problems as of yet. It's in for 1st service now.
I have heard of water pump problems but not with mine. Also hear about cold natured but that is up north. If you want to put a Warn Winch on it you can't go up in tire size because they will hit the motor end. I feel that 25 inchers are perfect for it.
I myself do not like the OEM tires. I read and agree on this forum that they don't even tear you yard grass up when riding on it. I have ordered OEM size Kenda Bear Claws. I know a person that put 26" Kendas on his and it hits the winch and the A-arm on the other side.
The machine is a ball to ride. The front end is plush set on next to softest with a 25 pound winch and mounting gear. The rear works best for me on softest setting.
The turning radius is very sharp. If you try to sport ride with soft suspension and tire psi the front outside will dive. I got used to it and lean before it happens now. I have put the tires at 5.5 psi and the rear shocks at middle setting and the front at middle (before I installed winch) and it was real fun on simi smooth trails. You can flick it around.
The auto tranny and engine breaking are the best. I am 6'2" @ 240 lbs. I work out. I like the size of it. Polarises are too big for what I like. I go after Deer in tight stuff and like the medium size of the unit.
I have had her up to the bottom of the seat in swift water with no leaks or belt slippage.

therock

Old 02-28-2000, 11:29 AM
Weekend Warrior

Ditto on most of therock's comments. You can't match the options that come on this thing for the $$$. The cold idle problem is barely a minor nuisance, one I'm sure I could rectify easy if it actually bothered me enough to fix it. Mine has been a worker, pulling much more than the rated towing capacity up and down very steep inclines, no slippage at all on tranny and no water pump leak yet either. I'm thrilled with this thing. My only complaint is that it could use another 200 CC's, but that's getting greedy

Old 02-28-2000, 12:00 PM
Pro Rider

I've had mine a couple of months and am exremely pleased thus far. The 4x4 on command is great and the auto trans is smooth up hills, etc. The engine brake works like a geared atv going down hills. I've had no problems except a headlight bulb came out, ( they have had a few do this), and they fixed it under warranty. Mine starts with no problem and have no complaints so far.

Old 02-28-2000, 03:15 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks to all of yer reply's. This is going to help me out alot. Has anyone had any Problems with the performance of it??Like in the mud, trails, or at the sand pits or something?

Old 02-28-2000, 04:02 PM
Weekend Warrior

I've had my KODIAK only a week but so far it is great! I have been riding it in 0 degree F weather and no problems. I've been riding on snow machine trails here in Alaska and had to pull my friends Honda 450S out of the snow! The machine has a little viberation I think becouse of the belt. Has a great turning radius. I love my KODIAK!

Old 02-28-2000, 06:25 PM
Trailblazer

I purchased mine in August I believe, and at the same time my son bought a 00 Warrior. I have very little trouble keeping up with him in the woods when we get on it. He can blow me away on the roads though. The only problems I have had are a blown headlight and I cracked both a arm guards. The guards cracked from driver error. The machine has been awesome. I ride it pretty hard sometimes and it has always impressed me. I also am going to get new Bear Claws for it as the stock tires just dont quite get it. It does do excellent in the snow as well as the mud. My sons Warrior really impresses me for a 2 wheeler in the mud and snow. It is great to have the 2/4 wd option. The fuel mileage is good also, I ride with some Praries and I'm surprised at how much less fuel mine consumes. I do wish I had a speedometer. I am sure you will be very happy with one. It seems to be a great all around machine.

Old 02-28-2000, 09:39 PM
Pro Rider

As for wanting 200 more cc's. Take a look at your main jetting. My plug was running Snow white at full throttle. I went up 2 sizes and it was a nice power increase at 7/8's to full throttle.
Untill you get better tires, don't try to crawl up the steep ones too slow. They may break loose and spinn leaving you to back down and possibly looping her.

therock

therock

therock

Old 02-28-2000, 09:43 PM
Pro Rider

Vibration?

I have heard this comment once before. Mine is the smoothest ATV I have ever been on. Even at idle she is still. The motor has a counter balancer and rubber mounting to shed vibration.
I suggest a trip to the dealer on the vibrating units.

therock

Old 02-28-2000, 11:36 PM
Pro Rider

Are you sure about the counter balance? My dealer said they didn't have any.

Quick Reply: Kodiak's up's and down's