Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

How did you get YOUR parents to buy you an ATV?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2002, 10:40 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey,

looks like everybody has told you to get a job. and guess what, so am i. but i am a bit more understanding than you might believe. i'm 18 and don't have a job. well i sorta do, stick with me here and you'll understand.

i always WANTED a job, because i always needed money. but my parents don't want me to work while i'm in school. say they don't mind giving me money if i work hard at school. well see that's a catch 22. they say they don't mind giving me money, but then they complain when i ask for gas money every week. well go figure that. i don't have much of my own money cause they won't let me work, then they complain when i need money from them.

i always wanted a atv/dirtbike, started when i was probably 14yrs old. dad said no, and that i'd want a car when i turned 16, and that once i had a car i wouldn't use the atv. sure enough, when i hit 16 i wanted a car. and dad was good to his word. i started in a 92' Grand Am 4banger. begged and pleaded and talked him into getting me a 96' Jeep Cherokee 4x4. i love my Jeep to death, but i still want a 4wheeler.

i know good and well dad's not going to buy me a new atv. doubt he'll even contribute to a cheap used one. so it's up to me. and it's up to you to get yours as well.

i know what you're thinking. you want one NOW and working all summer at $5.15 an hour isn't going to get you one quickly. so here's what i do for cash. cut grass. it's hard work. but it's even better money. i just got the contract to cut grass for a local business. takes me roughly 4hours, and it's hard work when it comes to fighting with a weed-eater on a steep ditch in the hot hot sun. but i get $95 each cut. not to shabby. of course you have to consider the costs. you'll need a mower and a weed-eater. plus gas and other maintance items. you could probably borrow some $$ from your parents and get these items used. and start making money. start small and ask everybody you know if you can cut their grass. do a good job, don't over price, and be reliable and soon you'll have more work than you can handle.

just don't get into too many over hobbies. i spend money on my Jeep and my guitar, plus i want a 4wheeler. so stay focused little grasshopper!

HTH and good luck. btw: i agree, get a used 4wheeler. much cheaper and you can gain some experience before you go big.

later,
bigamc

Old 04-13-2002, 03:05 AM
Pro Rider

now that i have a little more time let me just say i don`t want to hear you say you can`t work at least a part time job i spend 35 hours a week at school a depending on how busy we are 20 to 30 hours a week fliping hamburgers
i know how you feel the only one of my toys i don`t have to pay for is my car and insurance cause my parents don`t make me work (yes thats what i said i have a job cause i want one not cause i`m made to have one)my parents actually don`t like me working (my mom anyway i think it makes my dad happy cause he has worked his a$$ off for everyting he has had has now and ever will have) as you can probally quess my dad was poor when he was my age he grew up in a 4 room house with his parents two sisters, and his brother and picked cotton from the time he was 8 tell he went to college (which he paid for himself) in other words you are never to young to have a job and as said by someone else said 5.15 will get you there quicker than you think. and if you get a job and stick with it you won`t be making 5.15 to long
sorry to bore you but just trying to show you the light and by the way there is nothing wrong with riding a used quad

Old 04-13-2002, 05:42 PM
Range Rover

I got my first ride when i was 5 years old Z50, had 4 dirtbikes and a quad after that bougt for me. After I was 12 I had to buy the rest aprox. 6 bikes and The shee that i currently own (now 21). I think it is about time you got a job and erned something instead of having you parents buy it for you. Just my thoughts.

Old 04-13-2002, 06:04 PM
Range Rover

i'm 13, and i bought my blaster , and payed for all my mods, i'v worked my a$$ off for it, but it's worth it

Old 04-13-2002, 06:10 PM
Trailblazer

Im fifteen and i work about thirteen hours a week. I can afford to pay off a new quad (which im going to do) and still have a little money left over. Its not that hard to work if your working towards something you really want.

(its all about monthly payments)

Old 04-13-2002, 11:40 PM
Pro Rider

it took me about three years to get my parents, well my dad, to finally buy me a atv. one day i was playing hockey down at my local rink, when my mom came to pick me up, as we pulled in my driveway i noticed that our garage door was shut and when my mom opened it my dad was in the garage sitting on my brand new yamaha kodiak. i will neve forget that, it just takes a lot of begging. at that point i didnt care what kind of wheeler i had as long as i had one. if your parent wont buy you one then you have to work for it. i have a job and i am only fifteen so i know you can get a job.

Old 04-14-2002, 01:37 AM
Weekend Warrior

Grow up you spoiled little brat!! get a freakin job and earn the money yourself. So in the mean time maybe your parents will buy you a yamaha badger to practice on, and when you become a man and get responsible then you can have a real quad.

Old 04-14-2002, 01:51 AM
Pro Rider

"EVERYTHING TAKES TIME!" "Life isn't always fair." "Don't expect everything to go your way in life." "There's a time for everything."

BLAH BLAH BLAH I thought, BUT my parents are right. I'm 16 and spend ALOT of $$$. It's either on my quad, girl, baseball, drums, stereo, bike, or my car. I got a paper route when I was in 3rd grade. It tought me alot about how to handle money and people. When I turned 14 I started working as a bike mechanic at a bike shop fixing and selling BMX, mountain, and rode bikes. I still work there (mostly in the summer) and I also work with my dad (carpenter), and I work at batting cages near my house when he needs me to. When I get home from work in the summer, I cut grass for most of the houses around mine. Alot of times my friends call and I'm out working. Hey, thats how things are. If you want something, you have to work and sacrifice. I do not regret working for my stuff at all. I actually have a great respect for what I have. Believe me, I felt the same way as you do....want it now! can't wait!....but you have to realize that you WILL have to wait. PERIOD!

Plain and simple...IF YOU WANT IT...GO GET IT!

Get a job!!!

P.S. If you are 14 or 15, then all you need to do is get a work permit. If anyone is 14 or 15 and needs a job, take my advice...ask around at small businesses (ex. record stores, bike shops, maybe even a quad dealer will hire you as a helping hand or stock boy). I kept asking the owner of the bike shop and made sure he knew I wanted to work there. It worked.

Old 04-14-2002, 02:14 PM
Pro Rider

Give him a brake he asked a simple question and you as$holes are ripping him apart.I just saved a $hit load of money so if i wanted to i could go but a 400ex or banshee,but why would i want to if im getting a car in a year and a half.

Old 04-14-2002, 02:15 PM
Pro Rider

Oh ya pardon ronjon hes still practicing on kids bikes like myself except hes in his 30's i bet.

Quick Reply: How did you get YOUR parents to buy you an ATV?