Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Raptor Jetting Questions /Which Pipe (New Owner)

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2002, 09:23 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi there I just Sold my banshee and bought the new LE Raptor.
I then proceeded to purchase the K&N Power up Kit (stage 2) for the raptor.

I am wondering If It would be best to wait til I buy an after market pipe to install the DynoJet Kit that comes with the PU kit or just install it now.
I threw the K&n Airfilter in the machine since it was a simple 5 minute thing..
Also Aftermarket Pipes..
My dealership swears by the DMC alien exhaust system... However I cannot find anything that substantiates it as being the better pipe.
does anyone know any details on the Alien and why it is so much better ?
IF not I am considering the Trinity or the Alien.. any opinions ?
ANy ino would help in my decision.

Thanks again.
GEEK.

Old 04-12-2002, 10:20 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I'd install the Dyno Jets now. Re jet again when you get a pipe if its needed. JMO As far as the Alien, I understand it is very loud. I haven't heard or seen either pipes your considering.

Old 04-12-2002, 10:52 PM
Pro Rider

I have the Yoshimura RS-3 pipe on my 2002 Raptor and and pretty happy with it. It's not too loud and it looks great. I also have a directory on my photos page that my help you with your decision, I also have a directory that may help you with your jetting project.

I won't know that I've truly got it tuned in until I pack it up and take it to Florida and totally embarrass CORNDOG!!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img]

Old 04-12-2002, 11:49 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

GregV

That quad you have pics of under Big money Raptor is very sweet. I love all the crome. Swing arms and axles as well as the A arms looks sweet. Thats one nice quad. Wish it were mine.

A question or two if you don't mind. On your trailtech speedometer. Did you have to do any drilling on your calipers or anywhere to install the sensor wire? Does the magnet install in/on the rotor somewhere? Has your trailtech ever reset itself on its own loseing all your stored information? TIA

Old 04-13-2002, 12:40 AM
Pro Rider

I had to drill one hole in the splash shield on front left wheel assembly. The 01's (acording to parts photos) have a metal shield with holes already in it. The 02's went to a plastic part.

The magnetic sensor was mounted on the rotor. They give you a batch of grey epoxy similar to what a machinist would use. The magnet will harden onto the rotor. It's pretty easy to set up.

No, I haven't lost power on the unit. The only trouble that I had with it was the "Bike" setting. You can program in two different ratios for either two different bikes or two different sets of tires. I was changing screens with my riding gloves on and accidently switched the setting to "bike 2" without knowing it. No big deal, except it happened right after I piped and jetted it. I was pretty pumped up for about a week because I thought I was able to do 87 mph!! What a let down when I realized my mistake!!

I wasn't in the picture taking mode when I made that installation. Sorry.

Old 04-13-2002, 04:19 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Thanks for the info. My brother installed one on his Bomb. I can see by your posts i will have to do no drilling. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] His lost all information while riding one day. Had to provide all information again as to what tire size etc and reset his hours as best he could remember. Was a fluke thing I guess. (hope)

Old 04-13-2002, 04:48 PM
Pro Rider

I have the trailtech on my 01 Raptor. You do have to drill a hole in the metal shield. It's thin metal and easy to drill. The install is really easy to do.

Old 04-13-2002, 08:49 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Why? there are many holes in it already. Upon rotation of the tire the holes in the rotor line up with a hole in the sheild. Why couldn't you install the sensor in that hole? I know its a bit larger than needed but a washer on each side will cure that. Either way though, drilling a hole is no big deal especialy in that thin sheild. On the DS it had to be drilled through a portion of the caliper. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Old 04-13-2002, 09:52 PM
Pro Rider

I've got the full Sparks pipe with stainless head pipe & a spark arrestor. I'm very happy with it, Lots more HP & very well made. The people at Sparks are knowledgeable & freindly. They even said if I don't like it I could send it back (I'm Keeping it!!).

It's kind of loud but not overly so if you leave the spark arrestor on (I modified mine & it's LOUD) There is no sound regulations where I ride (Little Sahara, OK) & no houses where I trail ride so it's not a prob for me.

I don't know if one pipe really out performs the others by any great margin. See my Sparks pipe on my 02 Raptor on My Web Site

Old 04-13-2002, 11:04 PM
Weekend Warrior

i've got the full race big gun exhaust on my 2001. its pretty f$#@!ing loud but thats what i like. i got that and drilled 5-1 inch holes in the airbox and it works really well. i know for sure the ct racing and new fmf make more power though. try and ask what the jetting changes will be for the jet kit and exhaust. if they are the same do it now. if not then do it when you get the exhaust just to save you some work. plus i like to feel the bigger power increase when you put it all on at once. enjoy your raptor!!!!!

Quick Reply: Raptor Jetting Questions /Which Pipe (New Owner)