Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Yamaha Raptor Tech Bulletins!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2002, 07:57 PM
The Facility
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There were more than I thought, but most were just tips for mechanics and nothing more. There were a couple that I thought I would post. These were the only ones of any importance. This is going to be looooooooooong.

Air Filter Guide Improvement...'01 and '02 Models
This bulletin makes it harder to misalign the air filter base where it meets the airbox....Part Number 5LP-14458-01-00

Reverse Indicator Light Flashes...'02 Model Only
The 2002 Grizzly 660 and 660R Raptor have a speed sensor self-diagnostic feature. If the engine is operated at 3000RPM or higher for 10 seconds but the CDI does not receive the signal, the reverse light will flash in one second intervals. This will most likely occur if someone revs the engine in Neutral or Park[On the Grizzly].

To reset the system, simply turn the key to the OFF position. Verify the speed sensor operation:
[1]Turn the key OFF to reset the circuit.
[2]Ride the ATV above 3000RPM in any forward gear for at least 10 seconds. If the light does not flash and the speedometer[Grizzly] functions, the system is working correctly.
[3]Check the speed sensor wires for chaffing or rubbing, which may cause an intermittent short.

Parking Brake Switch Operation...'01 and '02 Models
The 2001 and 2002 YFM660R Raptor is equipped with a parking brake circuit which limits engine speed to 2300RPM anytime the parking brake is activated. Because this condition can sound like an ignition misfire, you should be aware of the normal operation to avoid unnecessary troubleshooting.

Choke Cable Improvement...'01 Model Only
Some customer report that the choke is stuck in the ON or OFF position. Water from pressure washing can enter the top of the choke cable and drain into the choke plunger of the carburetor. This can cause the choke plunger to corrode within the carburetor body.

To prevent this from happening, a new choke cable was developed. It features a shrink tube on the cable wire and a sealing ring to block out water....Part Number 5LP-26331-10-00

Correct Installation of the Output Shaft Collar..'01 and '02
If the output shaft collar is removed, be sure to re-install it with the notches facing inward. If the collar is installed incorrectly, the oil supply to the transmision output shaft will be cut off causing major damage to the transmission.
[This is behind the plate that is bolted to the engine with two bolts, BEHIND the front sprocket]

Thats pretty much the only bulletins of any importance that I found. The first bulletin I mentioned here was in my own words because everyone knows about that one now. The others are quoted directly out of the Bulletins.

KNOWSALOT

Old 04-13-2002, 08:09 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Excellent Knowsalot. Thanks very much. The choke cable improvment is somthing Ive had a problem with myself. Never have I pressure washed the bike with pressure machines. I do use a hose and spray water in areas to remove dirt build up. The first time I jetted my bike I removed the cables and had a problem getting the choke cable out and back in due to corrosion. Cleaned it up etc, has worked fine. Thanks again for this post. Please post em as you get them.

Old 04-13-2002, 09:57 PM
The Facility

I think I will start to post bulletins that I receive from the OEMs. I know that I have seen my share of frustrated Raptor and Grizzly owners talk about the reverse light issue. I'll try to do all that I can when I have time to do it.

I would also like to add that there is a bulletin pertaining to the choke cable problem for '00-'01 Kodiak and '00-'01 Big Bear owners. Call your dealer to get the updated cable.

Old 04-14-2002, 01:51 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks Knowsalot, I wondered why my rev light came on (only did it once) while I was warming it up in the staging lanes.

This is the kind of info I come here looking for.

Now if we could get some funny flames going on (where are you corndog?) this might be the perfect post!! LMAO!! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

My Web Site

Old 04-14-2002, 07:21 PM
Pro Rider

KNOWSALOT,

What is the choke cable problem on the 2000 Kodiak? I know that mine doesn't seem to work. You can put the choke on but then it won't always go off. Is this a freebie upgrade or do I have to buy the new cable?

Thanks,

NotuRaptor

Old 04-14-2002, 08:57 PM
Range Rover

Knowsalot,

Once again you have proven to be wealth of knowledge. Keep up the good work it really helps us guys who are trying to be backyard mechanics. Thanks for sharing.

Old 04-14-2002, 10:48 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I wonder how many of the 2001 tranny failures were due to guys not putting the sprocket collars back on properly? Not many I'd think but possibly some?? In reality the percentages are low in tranny failures altogheter, JMO

Old 04-15-2002, 02:51 AM
The Facility

NotuRaptor,

The problem described of the BigBear and Kodiak's choke cables were the same reasons of the Raptor.

Unfortunatly, it's not a free upgrade. You have to purchase the upgrade. Call your local dealer for the pricing, as it will vary from dealer to dealer.

PartNumber for upgraded cable for the '00-'01 Kodiak..5GH-26331-02-00
PartNumber for upgraded cable for the '00-'01 BigBear.5FU-26331-10-00

I love finding partnumbers for Yamaha's that include..."FU" in them. Kind of makes you wonder what they mean by including it in an update that they expect YOU to buy.....LOL

Old 04-15-2002, 09:31 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Excellent info. .....thanks!

Old 04-15-2002, 01:53 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks for the info. I ordered both cables today from Riva Yamaha. Plan to tackle this job on the Kodiak ASAP since I plan to sell it.

/NotuRaptor

Quick Reply: Yamaha Raptor Tech Bulletins!!!!!!!!!