Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

my raptor's posessed!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2002, 02:25 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

RichieRoadRash, looks like yamaha thinks the cable assembly stinks as well, they came out with a new one for the 2001 Raptor, it features a shrink tube on the cable wire and a sealing ring to block out water/debris....
Part number 5LP-26331-10-00, more sh..t to buy, gets annoying doesn't it..

Old 04-22-2002, 12:37 AM
Pro Rider

the choke cable obviously isn't the problem. (still doing it) so i can cross that off the list. but i did clean it very well and plan to replace it when i replace the one-way starter bearing. that is VERY annoying. so tomorrow i will order the 27.5 pilots. i hope this will fix it. let ya'll know soon. if it doesn't then what? i hope the answer isn't "live with it". talk to you guys around thurs.

Old 04-26-2002, 02:26 AM
Pro Rider

i just in stalled the 27.5 pilots. it's also 12:26 at night so i'll have to see if they do the trick tomorrow. don't want to **** off the neighbors.

Old 04-26-2002, 02:38 AM
Pro Rider

I know about that!! My neighbors had a "little talk" with me after a test ride at 11:30. I thought my Sparks pipe sounded good, my neighbors had a diffrent opinion!! In my defense before any one rags on me I'd been tinkering on it all night & had no idea what time it was. I wear my watch when I tinker with it now!

Old 04-26-2002, 06:02 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Consider yourselves a little bit lucky. I live in an aprtment. Our lease states that you can NOT work on anything in the parking lot. This is to keep it a little nicer around here, no oil in parking lot or screws to run over. I have to borrow a friends house to do any work. I also keep my Raptor there to keep it from getting stolen.

Old 04-27-2002, 04:47 AM
Pro Rider

it rained like crazy today. so tomorrow's the day. i hope everything's right cause i'm gonna drag at spring hill or charleston tomorrow night. i'll be using my homemade wheely bar for the first time in competition. so wish me luck. i did crank it today. it sounded like it was idleing smoother than usual. man i hope this works!!!! next is the starter bearing. this will be the last weekend to really race for 2 weeks cause i'm going to see kid rock in memphis for the beale street music festival so i'll try to get it in the shop during that time.
i have a large home but very little yard. that's the price for "city life". my neighbors have never said anything and living this close to the highway all these houses through here are really well insulated. i can't hear anything outside. but this yoshi does like to speak up. i know all about losing track of time. i have to tell my girlfriend remind me of what time it is in order to not be late for work when i'm working on my quad.

Old 04-28-2002, 12:39 AM
Pro Rider

the new pilots didn't do the trick. all that happened was some black smoke was coming from the exhaust while i reved it in neutral. so i jetted down to 160/165(should be 150/155 but my mechanic has them) and returned the pilots to original and put the lid back on. IT'S STILL DOING IT. so now what? i tried a couple of holes in the lid. nothing. so i taped them back up. now, i'm irritated.
also if that wasn't enough, i noticed my left headlight is out on dim. i took it all apart and it was so rusty and corroded. no mud or dirt just rust etc. i'm really beginning to not like the "quality" of the little things on this quad. the choke cable was bad enough. anyway i fixed it. all the headlight parts are very cheaply made. the bulb seemed to be the best quality metal of all. unbelievable. so if anyone knows what to do please let me know. i'm gonna remove the lid and rejet to 165/170 and just let it ride for now.

Old 04-29-2002, 01:00 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Maybe it has something to do with the carbs themselves? This is just a shot in the dark. Are the rubber diaphrams that are hoocked to the dlides torn or have a hole in them? I don't know if it would do it but check them closely when you have them out next time. My old warrior did the same thing the entire time I had it but not bad it just boogged for a sec then took the fuel.

I went to our drag races this Sat. Lots of bikes for around here, about 15 or so. It runs in conjunction with mud bogs. It is a 200' smooth dirt strip. A 3.02 won it. Hows that time sound?

Old 04-29-2002, 04:31 AM
Pro Rider

hey ward, i've never run on 200' only 300'. i'm running 5.5 so i can only do the math and figure it's not too bad. i guess the rubber rings are o.k. i'll have to check. i have been trying to remember everything i have done since before this all started. tonight, a friend of mine stopped by and we were talking about quads. (by the way ward, he is running 2 k+n filters straight off of his banshee's carbs) he said his k+n's wouldn't let his quad run right with k+n's oil on it. so he just uses wd40. i started thinking....everything was fine until i started messing with that k+n filter. i haven't been running the k+n because personally i think it sux. my stock is noticeably faster. but, i was reading a post on here about the differences between the oils people used on their filters and how k+n oil trapped dirt better than motor oil. so i put it on my stocker as well. in other words, the oil that my buddy claims didn't let his banshee run right is on both of my filters. i'm cleaning them right now. i have no idea if this has anything to do with it or not. but i've tried everything else. i'll let you guy's know.

Old 04-29-2002, 10:53 AM
Pro Rider

Did you ever try adjusting the carb floats? Most quads and bikes come out of spec on that adjustment. Also i have seen alot of people knockem out of position while jetting carbs. I have been tuning bikes for years and had the same prob with both of my Raptors so i can bet that this is your problem. I posted this before but evidently it didnt work or you didnt try it. Beleive me it makes a difference. It also helps with the problem raptors have with jumping. Yah know when you take s small jump and the motor dies when yah land? Mine did that too. This cured it. Try it.

Quick Reply: my raptor's posessed!!!!!!!!!