Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

02 660 Grizzly Vaporlock problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2002, 03:21 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been following it too.. seems like it is not that many people that have it.. but enough that is a problem.

Hope my new bear doesn't develop that problem!

Old 04-19-2002, 07:21 PM
Pro Rider

I've not experienced this problem myself, nor has any 660 owners that I know of where I live and ride (north idaho & eastern washington). After reading about this, I have, subsequently, put exhaust wrap on my pipe right after the headers merge to the slip on. I've also put reflective tape under the plastic gas tank shield. Figured while I was putting around in there, I may as well take a little preventative medicine, but nonetheless, I've not personally seen this or experienced it.

I galls me as well that this issue isn't being handled. Regardless of why it only seems to happen in some area's of the country, I don't think it should happen at all.

SilverBear

Old 04-19-2002, 09:46 PM
Pro Rider

Count me in as another vapor lock victim. I've only noticed it while climbing. I've just backed off the throttle for a sec, and then give it gas...I thought the carb wasn't getting gas because of the incline...guess I was wrong. Let's get some detailed remedies for this annoyance. Why not wrap the entire header pipe? Is there a particular place that's getting too hot? The tank? Thanks

Old 04-20-2002, 02:26 AM
Pro Rider

PADDZ,

I recommend that you check the link the guy a couple up put on. They list serveral options to prevent this. From what i am hearing, the dealerships are suppose to do a fix at no charge. They are suppose to call yamaha and get the information on what to do. What is exactly done, i dont know. BUT i will be going in on Monday (keeping fingers crossed) to find out and hopefully getting my new DD's 27"ers put on.

Will let you know.

Jonathan

Old 04-20-2002, 02:47 AM
Pro Rider

if anyone has pics of fixes they have done, please let me know. I will be happy to post a "how to" on how to wrap the header, put on the heat tape under the tank etc. I have plenty of room left on my server [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

I thought I had it on the first ride today (just got the bike yesterday) I put the bike in 4x4 and then diff lock, hit the gas and it sputtered. After all the stories I read, I thought the worst! Well, I had it in H, guess you are supposed to have it in L when you put on the diff lock ... DOH!

That is correct? The tranny needs to be in Low before you drive in 4x4 lock right?

Old 04-20-2002, 03:32 AM
Pro Rider

Kraw~

No, you can be in low or high when you put it in diff lock. What happened to you sounds like you hit the gas before the front was finished engaging...hence that 3mp diff lock engaging limiter. When you lock your front end, make sure you're stopped, press your diff lock button, and watch your display. You'll see it blinking. While it is blinking, if you exceed 3mph the Grizz will "sputter", which is just your engine cutting out because of the limiter. Once your diff lock quits flashing, go for it. You wont get that sputter until you hit 22mph, then you'll get more "sputter" which is the speed limiter while in diff lock. I've bypassed that myself, because in serious mud or snow, you need more wheel speed then 22mph.

SilverBear

Old 04-20-2002, 05:37 AM
Pro Rider

yep... that is exactly what happened.. didn't know why it was blinking

thx!

Old 04-20-2002, 11:21 PM
Trailblazer

The questions about gas lead me to ask, what type of gas should you be putting in it? The cheap stuff or the good stuff? (no I haven't bought mine yet, just signed the duck lease Friday and gonna apply for the loan Monday...)

Old 04-20-2002, 11:50 PM
Pro Rider

I've always put in 91+ octane in my ATVs and motorcycle. I figure for the 5 or so gallons it's not a major investment.

Old 04-21-2002, 03:45 AM
Pro Rider

Drundel~

I run 93 octane in all my quads. I was told to by a dealer when I bought my Grizzly, but I've come to realize to take everything you hear from a dealer with a salt lick. I really haven't researched gasolines, additives, octane ratings, and what not, but I can say with 6 quads in my stable, none have ever vapor locked or boiled gas...not even the biggest bear of all. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

SilverBear