Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

winches?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2000, 10:03 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey does anyone know weer to get the best deal or price on a warn 2000 winch? any websites or anyhting would be apprecited? i need one cuz i have a bigbeAR 400 2wd and i need on badly!!!

any help would be apprecited!!!!!!!!

Old 02-28-2000, 10:19 PM
Trailblazer

I don't know about a warn but myself and three others I ride with just purchased superwinch ATV2000's for a very low $189. we ordered them from a sale flyer by NORTHERN TOOL AND EQUIPMENT CO. (was northern hydraulics) they came with all wiring needed and a very nice weather sealed toggle switch that mounts right up on your handle bars and makes it very easy to operate from the drivers seat. Unlike that big dial warn uses. They are both excelent units but save yourself $100 and put it twards beefy tires and go for the superwinch, then you may not need it as often.
www.northerntool.com

2000 Kodiac, Mud Sharks, superwinch, and anything else if they would hurry up and make something for this new machine.

Old 02-28-2000, 11:40 PM
Range Rover

I dont want to rain on youy party but that nice sealed rocker switch,if its the same as mine,is a piece of crap to say it mildly!!! If it is the yellow switch with the orange rubber boot over it ,its the same. They will work a few times then the contacts burn up on them I'm talking like less than 20 or 30 uses you will have trouble with the switch. The dealer where I got my superwinch made me aware of this problem even before I bought the winch. But he's also a good friend of mine. He sells about 100 superwinches a year and says that about 90 switches will come back. the only good thing is that the switch is covered under warranty but thats not worth much when you're in a 3foot mudhole and the switch burns out is it!!He recommends that you buy a good aftermarket switch from an electrical supply compamy. One other thing about the supposedly 2000lb superwinch. I drive a Wolverine which is one of the lightest 4x4 quads on the market and my superwinch will barely pull me out of the mud when I need it the worst. I think they are very overrated as far as pulling capacity goes. the only way mine has half decent pulling power is to hook up my ****** block. If I did it again I would have bought a Warn or maybe a Rule, these are both supposed to be good winches. The old saying applies.YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR!!!!!!!!! I agree the warn switches are very cumbersome but they will last forever. I speak from experience.

Old 02-28-2000, 11:47 PM
Pro Rider

I have never seen a Warn toggle switch. They sell a large round switch with a spring in it to automatically return it to the off position. The switch is very durable.

Old 02-29-2000, 01:46 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sparkys, has YOUR SuperWinch switch failed?

I'd like to hear your own personal experience with an actual SuperWinch control switch failure, in contrast to the store clerk's alleged 90 % failure rate data. Since the new retrofit rocker switch, with orange top dust cover and black lower dust cover, has only been out a few months, and your friend at the store has already processed 90 of 100 winches sold for warranty service, he obviously has brisk traffic in SuperWinch products. Details of your own SuperWinch rocker switch failure, please!

Or have you retrofitted with an "electrical supply company" or durable Warn switch?

I have no experience using the new SuperWinch rocker switch. I respect your experience with Warn rotatry switches, where you say, "I agree the warn switches are very cumbersome but they will last forever. I speak from experience." I don't have that much experience; my SuperWinch rotary switch with my ATV1500 has only lasted since 1978; it's still going strong, its "dashboard" mount sheet-metal screwed to the handlebars.

I'd expect a rotary switch to be more durable than a rocker switch, even the improved SuperWinch one. Maybe in the severe applications in your area, such as frequent winch engagement, raising and lowering snowplow blades, for example, the rocker switch is not up to service that continuous (pure conjecture, I have no information this may be the case).

Again, I'd appreciate your sharing any information you have on actual field experience with winching equipment. Thanks!

Tree Farmer

Old 02-29-2000, 06:21 AM
Pro Rider

OK,
The best price I can get on any WARN product is at "http://www.clemson4wheel.com/" . I seen the 2500 listed on their site at $329.00. They are good people to deal with. Southern folk you know. I have used them since 1994. They will beat any lower advertized price. I bet you can't find one.
I read a test on the Super Winch and the Rocker switch failed durring the test. They went through 7 of them.

therock

Old 02-29-2000, 07:51 AM
Weekend Warrior

Just ordered a Warn A2000 of the Ebay site the other day. Price was 249.00... If you're going to get a winch buy Warn you won't be sorry!

Old 02-29-2000, 10:39 AM
Trailblazer

go with Warn. Warn's wen site addy is www.warn.com i think. superwinch's is www.superwinch.com i think also its been a while since i last visited their site. i dont know if Ramsey winches make atv winches or not i know they make a really small winch that can pull 2000lbs.!

Old 02-29-2000, 12:26 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Since the Tellico test, SuperWinch upgraded both their rocker switch and their winch motors. The new rocker switches can be identified by their orange "rubber" upper dust covers, black lower covers.

However, even with the improved rocker switch, I'd expect a rotary swtich to be more robust than a rocker switch, although a handlebar-mounted rocker switch might be more convenient to use.

Tree Farmer

Old 02-29-2000, 01:52 PM
Range Rover

I got my Superwinch from Sam's Club. I paid $109 for it. It came with the round switch, lik Warn, and I havn't had the first problem with it.

Quick Reply: winches?