Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Raptor, starter came on after harsh landing?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2002, 07:43 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2002 raptor less than 2 months old. My friend and I were hiting a jump at a new riding spot,In Camilus N.Y.. It was very rocky terain The majority of it a solid rock slab coverd and smotherd with chunks and gravel[not a great place in my opinion] about 20 feet in front of the pile of rock ala jump, was a puddle, we were landing in it. Corny I know but looks great in the video we are making. I then told my friend that I could clear the puddle he said I couldnt I handed him the camera. I hit the pile top of second gear looks like about 6 feet of air landing about 10 feet past the water. There was a sound like CLACKRUNCH I think it bottomed out folowed by the starter, like I had the button held down. Hitting the kill switch didnt do a thing, the starter was still running. I pulled the key out and it still didnt stop. Then I tore the seat off fanticlly pulling on the fuses and wires none of them seem to have budged but it did stop.? Has anyone had this hapen to them. Is the suspension set to soft? This is my first quad, had a big red when I was a kid. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 04-21-2002, 12:18 AM
Pro Rider

Happened to me also, once.

Wasnt jumping or anything, I fiddeled with the relay behind the battery and it quit, about 6 months and 20 or so rides since and never happened again

2001 raptor

Old 04-21-2002, 03:21 AM
Range Rover

That is wild, mine (b4 I sold) did that at Glamis atop hill I TURNED OFF THE KEY & PULLED OUT TURNED BUTTON TO OFF PULLED MY KILL SWITCH (PRO-DESIGN) STILL KEPT GOING, Pulled off the seat and the battery was swelling I was like wow I got to get battery out so I pulled out the battery it was hotter than hell, I thought it was going to explode, so I went to Sweet Maries and got new one (I wasnt sure what caused it so I thought that would fix the problem) but when I got back to town I got a new starter relay assembly $35.00 it seemed to be ok..Raptor is gone now for other reasons but anyway I wanted too tell crazy experience...Digger[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Old 04-21-2002, 08:37 AM
Weekend Warrior

I went out again and jumped all day. It was fine like nothing happend. I dont get it. I think it was just a fluke thing thanks for the replies.