Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

HONING a yamaha blaster

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2002, 07:19 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

we got my sons blaster honed on stock bore still. the question i have is when you have a cylinder honed does the piston slap get louder? because since we had the cylinder honed i can notice piston slap. i had it mic'ed at a motorcycle shop it its with'in tolerance. i decided to go from the wiseco i bought and tried the OEM piston back in and it helped some but the slap is still there? is this normal? it didnt do this before i ripped it apart.

Old 04-20-2002, 09:02 PM
Pro Rider

when you hone a cylinder, you need to up the size of your piston rings, slightly.. dont you?
If you didnt do this, you have more tolerance than before, and the slap is louder.

-Matt

Old 04-20-2002, 11:22 PM
Pro Rider

If the bore is still within spec., I don't know why you would hear piston slap now as opposed to not hearing it before.

Honing the cylinder WILL open up the bore slightly, but if it was measured, correctly, and they said it is still within spec, I'm not sure what would be making the slapping noise.

Was the piston measured also to find out the clearance between it and the cylinder wall?

I don't think "piston slap" is caused by worn rings, but rather too much clearance between the piston and cylinder.

I could be wrong, but I thought cylinder to piston clearance is what caused the "slapping" noise.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 04-21-2002, 08:52 AM
Pro Rider

THATS WHY YA USE a ball hone just to break the glaze on the cylinder and put a cross hatch on it.THe other hone w the long pieces of knife sharpening sticks removes material if your not careful.THe other thing is when rebuilding your suppose to go and bore it and have the piston fitted bigger for it,I think they do makes pistons just slightly over for that purpose tho.Are ya sure its piston slap and not bearing rap.hope this helps

Old 04-26-2002, 08:30 PM
Pro Rider

this bike ran great before i took it apart. the only reason i took it apart was because he was fouling plugs alot. i also put on a block off at the same time. so i figured while i had it apart why not throw in a new top end [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] i brought the jug to a machine shop and had it professionaly honed (or so i thought). but when i brought it to my bike shop they said it looks good? measured it for me and said they didnt see anything wrong still in tolerence.
im going to try another set of rings tommarrow and if that dosnt work i give up.. i gues i will over bore it then. what a nightmare for trying to be nice to the machine heheh