Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Anyone with experience of Sidewinder Monster kit???

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2002, 12:18 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I called Sidewinder today to inquire about having custom sprockets and chain made for the Raptor much like the DS650 comes with (much beefier). Turns out they already have this available ($149 for the chain and $90 for the sprocket). The front sprocket would remain the same and continue to need replacement more often. However, the rear sprocket and chain should last must longer and be much stronger.

Anyone running this setup? Did it take much power away? I already have trouble keeping everything together with only 45hp and I am thinking of a higher compression piston and new cam or even the 686 kit.

You guys in the dunes (KingRaptor, Raptor720, etc.) have to be doing something different to keep your swingarm pivot bearings, axle bearings, and chain and sprockets from tearing up. Fess up! Do you just replace everything every few months? Have you switched to the double bearing axle setup? Are these bikes truly daily drivers or are you spending a ton on parts and time keeping them together for a few good races every weekend? Would love to see your monthly credit card bills or your maintenance budget.

Thanks,

NotuRaptor

Old 04-23-2002, 12:31 PM
Pro Rider

I am running a sidewinder rear sprocket, though to be honest i dont think it was worth the money, it is really lightweight and high quality. for a chain i run did atv xring, good chain->good price.
cant speak for the dune riders, but i ride every weekend, been through a few chains and sprockets but still on the original bearings. I ALWAYS tear down and lube on a regular basis (along with plenty other maintenance items), prevention is the name of the game, important to me when i am 50miles away from civilization in middle of the desert, keeps the credit card bills down too

Old 04-23-2002, 01:19 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Odd Sidewinder would have a "kit" that does'nt include the front sprocket. I'll bet that $150 chain don't last long on a sprocket it was'nt made for....chain prematurely wears and there goes the rear sprocket too. Do a search on Sidewinder.....lots of negative information....those guys are better at selling their products than making them. I have heard/read nothing but praise for the D.I.D. atv X-ring chain.

Old 04-23-2002, 01:25 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Also, you probably ride more than most other sand riders that post here....resulting in more maintenance. Most seem to leave the 'ole steed in the shelter or the engine shop 'till a big weekend comes up.....just an occasional toy. JMO on the last 2 responses guys.

Old 04-23-2002, 03:46 PM
Pro Rider

garyc660r,

I was concerned too about the front sprocket not being sized with the same thickness as the rear sprocket due to the bigger chain. There must be a mounting problem for getting a wider sprocket on the front.

I currently run the Sidewinder chain and sprockets. The ti-moly series. So far, the chain and the rear sprocket are doing pretty well. The front needs replaced though. When you consider that the front gets about 4 times the duty of the rear it is easy to see why it wears. The problem is that this stuff is so expensive. If you have to replace it all as a unit then you are only as good as the front sprocket. Kind of a waste to buy an expensive chain and rear sprocket. Given the situation, I purchased some $7.99 front sprockets (Titax). I can't bring myself to replace it all as a set.

I use the DID ATV x-ring on the 400exs or the RK chain when Rocky Mountain doesn't have the DID available. I just ordered the new Titax sprocket line from them too.

So you think it is just wear and tear from riding so much that I am suffering from and not the power? One of the 400exs rides along with mine pretty much hour for hour and doesn't have nearly the same problems with bearings and sprockets. The only difference is I jump anything I can find. I figured it was from the power which is why I wondered how those with way more powerful engines were getting away with it.

Not that this has anything to do with it but I was amazed to watch my girlfriend jump off a 6 foot creek bank into the middle of the creek that was mostly mud and just a few inches of water. There was no other way around it since the bank was too steep to go over. Normally she would make me do something like this but after watching four guys do it first she just went for it.

Thanks for the input. All other input is welcome.

/NotuRaptor

Old 04-23-2002, 04:01 PM
Elite Pro Rider

I have had to replace the swimgarm and pivot bearings / seals as well. My lock nuts were ever so slightly loose (slight amound of play when wiggling the brake disc)....this is why mine went out and probably most everyone else. I replaced the other end since I was already broke down and figured might as well change 'em both.
I don't think it's the power. One thing comes to mind from my experience.....run the chain a tad loose. When you hit a jump and compress the suspension it stretches the chain anyway. I was tightening the chain every ride until I started running a little more slack in the chain.....now I may tighten my chain every third ride. Something to think about.

Old 04-23-2002, 05:17 PM
Pro Rider

another thing occured to me, water, most of us out in the desert and sand just dont get wet that often, could be this is causing loss of lube and early failures? just a thought, gary you are on the money with the chain i think keeping it a bit loose adds life, that sucker really tightens up when you come off a jump riding a wheelie