Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

A day on the Grizzly 660 with the new Dirt Devils!

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2002 | 11:28 PM
|
Pro Rider

Well we headed out today to see if i could get her stuck! No such luck. NOT saying that it cant be done, but let me tell ya.....WoW!

Today was a little of everything....little fast trail, little deep mud, little DEEP water, a big hill (up the bluff), and alot of cutting a new path.

I wanna start with cutting the path first. The reason i want to start here, is to address the vapor lock and gas boiling. We were trying to get to a logging road that we knew was only a couple of hundred yards away...through a sappling forest of Popples. We spent an hour or more trying to navigate through the trees. Getting off now and then to break a tree out of our way and to cut the ones that were to big to break. I only shut the bike off one time and that was to see how hot she had got. I turned the key back to the "ON" position and let the fan run for about 1 1/2 minutes. NO GAS BOILING, NO VAPOR LOCK, NO REDUCE IN PERFORMANCE. Was very happy to see this after reading a couple of posts on here and getting an email from a reliable friend stating that he had the problem.

NOW for the fun stuff....We started off with some fast trail riding to see how the new tires were going to do. I can say....they are not as agile as having the stock tires on, but not a real concern. There was some extra "throw" in the handlebars, just took a little getting use to. I now know the reason for this, with the bigger and more aggressive tread, the front is ALOT more responsive. I LIKE IT!

After the fast trail ride, we turned up a logging road that took us to our favorite blueberry patch. Down this road (that was used years ago, kinda overgrown and not accessible by auto) there was a couple of really good "soup/water/mud" spots. The shortest being only about 20 yards and the longest was almost 130 yards. Went through without a hitch. I started out only using 2wd and made through alot of it, but with alot of FLYING mud!! talk about a mess. Then decided to hit the longest one with the 4wd engaged. Gawd i love this machine with the new tires!

Coming out of the mud, we headed for the bluff. After about 1/4 mile, we found a spot to try to climb up so we could ride on top of it. The problem was a tree that was WAY to big to climb over....it was laying RIGHT in the path and was about 1/3 the way up the hill. So i hit the hill at a 45 degree angle to make it past the tree, then sharply turned and proceded up the sucker...Talk about heart racing!! I noticed (too late of course) that the very top of the bluff was granite! This slab was about 1 foot out of the ground and about 7-10 feet in length. The front end came up on me, just enough to make me "pucker"! At that exact moment, if you would have fed me a chunk of coal, i could have Sh*t ya a dimond. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] The bike came back on all fours, and pulled me to safety.

I hope that all of you share your stories....and pics... i can say, the only regret that i had...was, i left the darn camera in the truck...that WONT happen again [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Jonathan

Old 04-27-2002 | 11:38 PM
Pro Rider

great story!

let me say... you suck!!!! I sooo wish I could take my new grizz on a ride!!! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

oh, j/k about the suck part [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

I hope I don't get vapor lock

Old 04-27-2002 | 11:58 PM
Pro Rider

did you get the xts' or just the regular dd's? I was contomplating between the 26" and the 27". i figured i would save $100 if i went with the 26", so that is what i will get.

Old 04-28-2002 | 01:22 AM
|
Pro Rider

KRAW, i know i suck [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]

It was cold, windy and SNOWING!!! we have about an inch or two on the ground right now and more to come. Hope that you get out soon to ride!

Lsnake... I really dont know the difference...guess that i will look tomarrow and tell you..i have my leg off right now, and there is NO way that i will go out in this weather to check [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] About the price...the MSRP on my tires was 102.90 for two, and i cant remember for the other two. I think they were about the same. I found on tiresunlimited the tires on there are like 74? That is a big difference. I paid 85 a piece for mine but had the dealer do a couple of "extras" for me. I am now running with all the suspension at two notches....only one left to go, but i think that this is a good setup. I dont have any diving problems, the turning response is right on, and i feel better control with the machine without loss in comfort. I will tell you though, with the new tires on, it sure does handle different. Not in a bad way, just different. Those 6 ply tires take a little of the "softness" out of the ride. But is still EXTREMELY comfortable. We went through 3/4 tank of gas, and no back acke. BUT i did pull a muscle in my neck. (i think it was from dunk'n and dive'n to avoid the low limbs from knocking me off the bike [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] )

Old 04-28-2002 | 08:30 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Froggy,
that sounded like a TERRIFIC ride. the camera thing is a must so next time you can post some pics of your ride!
i'm interrested in the model/size ect. tires you just bought. a lot of guys list their mods in their signature. just a thought.
seems like the Grizz does very well on fuel to.
your friend,
-MT

Old 04-28-2002 | 03:50 PM
|
Pro Rider

OK, guys...i will put it in my signature...but here ya are..

27x12x12 Rear, 27x10x12 front...Dirt Devil X/T Nylon.

As far as gas.... Does pretty darn good, if you ask me. I cant really say a "milage". It depends on what you are doing. I dont think there will ever be a TRIP that i will just be heading down the road...i didnt buy her for getting me from one place to another. I got her for getting me burried, swamped, up, down, and around to where i wanna go!

Thnaks guys,

Jonathan

Old 04-29-2002 | 02:53 AM
|
Pro Rider

HEY? where are the stories!!! lol

Thanks for the replies...but i wanna hear them! Anyone getting out yet? We just got 6 inches of snow, so no riding today. BUT, i will be getting her out this week for some rides...snow or NOT! There is a powerline just down the street from where i live and i am going to go check it out since it leads right to the major trail. The trail will get me anywhere in the UP that i wanna go!

TELL ME TELL ME

I gotta know how these other bikes compair! Griz or NOT. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Jonathan

Old 04-29-2002 | 09:25 AM
Pro Rider

i know exactly what you mean by the new tires!!! i bought titan 589 /mt. they are soooo much better than stock!!
i put on my new tires, and headed out bout 3 weeks ago. having spring thaw around here, so the mud was everywhere!!!
having my brother with the same grizzly as mine, it was wonderful to compare the differant sets of tires, and how much more i could go through.
also, i found a big problem. tires give you guts, and guts give you headaches, lol.
i was showing the world how much of a tank this thing is, and kept finding deeper and deeper holes to attach!!! picture this. u shaped trail, 4 ft wide. mucky mud, swamplike, depth unknown, 100 ft long or so. I attached, going slow to feel my way, only speeding wonce i was sure it wasn't going past the racks. locked diffs, and a smile you only get when the cat house has a half off sale on the newbe's, heehee.
the surrounding earth was at my hips, and i was in a pit. i soon hit wat felt like a down tree, and let it shine over it, only to find no earth beond it!!! doing what any red blooded american would do, i nutted it, and held on. it seemed to kinda float for bout 10 or 15ft, then settled in for a nap, lol.
have you ever felt like a deer in the headlights look??? standing on my seat, with my shoes under mud and water, i saluted as the ship went down. it took my brother 2 times of being wenched by himself to just get to me, heehee. i swam to my wench, and connected it to his. he floored it while using his wench, as i did. i got out, and found a cluch filled to the top in pure, i cant beleave its not butter, mud!
no water in the engine, and the diffs were ok. the clutch now has been snorkled front and rear, and the airbox is next.
i now have 13 less hairs on my cheast, but am still a man feeling pritty proud of its power and ability to bogg!!!

my pics

Old 04-29-2002 | 07:34 PM
Trailblazer

Real nice and amusing story. Man I wish I could write! Mich & Frogman should consider writing to Dirtwheels. Maybe they would consider your excellent stories!

http://photos.yahoo.com/sled7dog

Old 04-30-2002 | 01:47 AM
|
Pro Rider

Never crossed my mind there PHIL...

But, i will keep writing..i would rather write to all of you in here without people saying that i am just a bia's writer for a mag.

THANKS for the story Mich660. I promise to write more as the summer comes around!

Jonathan