Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Raptor Starter Problem, not one way clutch

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2002, 11:18 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK..

I'm a little baffled here... My starter has been "free spinning" for the last couple rides. Sometimes, more often than not, when I hit the starter button the starter spins, but doesn't engage the motor at all. I can tell for 100% the starter is cranking, it just isn't turning the crank.

So I took it all apart today, thinking the problem would be obvious.

Well it's not.

The one way assembly is in perfect condition, the little wire that holds the bearing in is intact and not worn at all.

I couldn't see any problems in the actaul starter motor.

What I would think this is, if it was a car would be the bendix. But from what I can see the raptor doesn't work like that, unless I am missing something.

The only thing I could see that wasn't correct, was one of the 6 bolts that holds the one way to the flywheel, was loose, and it was rubbing against the gear that slides into the one-way.

OK.. any ideas on what I'm missing, or could I get a little more theory on raptor starters from anyone who knows..

Thanks
Brad

Old 05-05-2002, 11:55 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That starter is connected via a gear reduction directly to the starter drive clutch (one way clutch). If your starter spins and a visual inspection did not show a broken shaft or missing teeth, it must be the one way clutch. Take it out, clean it carefully, look for gauling on the clutch hub or rollers and reinstall if it is ok.

How often do you change your oil??? Have you added any special oil treatments??