Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Raptor CAM owners

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2002, 10:39 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How difficult is it to install a cam and a set of springs into a Raptor? Can a regular "non-mechanic, but can rejet his own bikes" kinda guy handle it?

How big/long of a task is it?

Thanks.

Old 05-08-2002, 11:27 PM
Pro Rider

I would'nt suggest doing it yourself. No pun intended, it's just not that simple! Not all cams are drop ins, besides you should always dial in new cams.

Old 05-09-2002, 10:31 AM
Pro Rider

the cam itself is very "doable" for anyone with a reasonable amount of mechanical skills, the valves and springs are a different story, you will need special tools (or be able to build tools yourself), trying to clean up valves and ports with dremel tools and the like is a recipe for disaster, dont go there unless you have the skills and tools needed

Old 05-09-2002, 02:46 PM
Pro Rider

That's kinda what I thought...just wanted to make sure from someone that's been there. Thanks for the replies!

Old 05-09-2002, 03:08 PM
Pro Rider

Raptoid: If you just want to install a set of Springs and Cam you could do it yourself, but you would have to have a few tools and the service manual at the least. You would need a compression tester with a pnuematic quick connect or a leakdown tester that you can effectively add pressure to the cylinder to hold the valves inplace when you remove the valve springs(I've never done this, but it is done very often on automobiles when a valve spring breaks and the shop doesn't want to remove the cylinder head). Then you will need a valve spring compressor and a little knowledge about how to remove the retainer and keepers. Its not a difficult process, just get yourself a service manual and the right tools and you should be set.

I'm not sure what type of a gain you would pickup from just a cam change? Not sure if anybody on this forum has done just a cam change without a piston? Good luck.

Old 05-09-2002, 04:47 PM
Pro Rider

If you take the valve cover off, then the head, you can do the valve spring work on your work bench. Get the pages out of the service manual to line the new cam up. May as well do a piston too while you are that far into it....heck, go 727 big bore! Trinity web page describes the cam break in procedure.

Old 05-09-2002, 08:52 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I would pull the head, take it to the local shop, have the springs done, then put it back together with the new cam myself. Might even think about a port polish while its in the shop...worth while I should think, maybe even port the intake manifold...

Here I thought I was gonna take you after I take care of my clutch springs, now you're going cam on me! No fair, I gotta buy two, costs me twice as much to get even!

Oh, and I wouldn't do the above without a shop manual...

Old 05-10-2002, 12:02 PM
Pro Rider

Don't you worry HITOWER, I'm not going with the cam! I've decided that it's too much trouble right now. I've always said that I wasn't going INTO the motor until I had to. I'm sticking with that! No since in going that route yet...

Thanks for all yall's input...Y'all brought me back down to earth!

Old 05-10-2002, 01:36 PM
Pro Rider

Probably a good idea eraptpoid. I'm waiting till I need to go into it then I'll put some goodies in it.

So whatcha going to spend that insurance money on now?

Old 05-10-2002, 01:45 PM
Pro Rider

SSHHHHH!! Don't be tellin anyone MOOSE! That was gonna be my edge on someone...Oh well.

I don't know yet. Maybe a headpipe and quiet core insert (for Silver Lake) or a new Lonestar axle?! What ya think?

Quick Reply: Raptor CAM owners