Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Raptor Question (Airbox, Pipe, Jetting)

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2002, 12:23 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a question or two about my raptor. I have a pro design K&N filter. What kind of gains would I be looking at by leaving off the airbox lid. It looks to me that the airbox design is very restrictive. Would this require me to rejet?

Also I want to eventually add a slip on pipe (silencer). What pipe do you guys recommend? I don't need to have the fastest raptor around, I just want more bottom end for hill climbing and trail riding.

Last question, does anyone have 22 inch. rear and 23 in front tires on their raptor? I was thinking of this to get a little more clearance.

Hughster
2002 black raptor
2002 Ram Quad Cab

Old 05-09-2002, 04:04 PM
Pro Rider

replacing the exhaust along with your prodesign k&n no airbox lid definatly calls for rejetting, if you have a stock exhaust taking off the airbox lid may not get you much, with open airbox/ better exhaust and jets you can get the most your motor has to give, think of it as a complete system, if your exhaust is restrictive opening the airbox isnt going to help

Old 05-09-2002, 04:52 PM
Trailblazer

don't go for the larger tires. My riding partner did that on his raptor and it completely changed the gear ratio. Hills that used to be easy, now he's bogging down on. He's crying he spent the $$ and wishes he stuck with stock tire size.
It's all a matter of picking the best line through the trails - ie. running over the rock instead of splitting it between the two wheels.
Also, he put on a K&N and White Bros slip on, but no jet kit. I know the jetting will make it run better, but it has SO much power it's hard to keep the front end down!
I've been riding sport quads 3 years and have never been on a quad that gained THAT much from just an air filter and slip on pipe.

Old 05-09-2002, 10:02 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I have the larger tires and will not ride the trails without them. I almost never hit anything now. A swing arm skid plate is a must buy also. Yes you will need to rejet to run properly without the lid. Take it off once when riding, you will see what I mean. It will miss and sputter.

EeEcksRider
Tell your friend to change the sprockets to gain what little low end he lost by adding the bigger tires. I'm at 12T front and 41T rear sprocket. Stock is 13/40. Changing the front will gain twice as much as just changing the rear. The front sprocket is only $10.00-$13.00. This will make him happy he purchased the extra ground clearance.

Old 05-09-2002, 11:38 PM
Pro Rider

If you haven't done it already you need to cut the restrictors out of the snorkle, they take up about 25% of the intake & then you'll need to rejet. Try The Dynojet kit.

Slip ons have a good power gain but eraptoid tried my Raptor with a Sparks X6, Stainless header & spark arrestor & said it had better throttle response than his Raptor with a WB slip on.

See my Raptor with my pipe & other toys on My Web Site