Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

More Problems in Mississippi!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2002, 10:36 PM
The Facility
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Today, The Mississippi Department of Wildlife, Fisheries, and Parks announced a statewide ban on stream crossing while riding an ATV.

This ban pertains to both private and state owned land!!!!!!

Their reasoning is that this Spring, they released millions of small fish into the public waterway system and they "swim" into the tributaries coming from those.

They claim that these fish are beginning to lay eggs and that riding through streams destroy the eggs and even kill some fish!!

I thought the fish released were "small"???? They must mature awfully fast.

This is just a heads up.

I plan to get the official press release and post it later.

Old 05-14-2002, 10:58 PM
Pro Rider

knowsalot,

this is such a crock! I figured that good ole backwoods MS would be the last state to actually put any sort of serious bans on ATV use. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] I found this in the MDWF website

http://www.mdwfp.com/news/shownews.asp?ID=82

Old 05-14-2002, 11:18 PM
Trailblazer

You have got to be joking. Where do they expect us to ride. The tree huggers are killing the atv sport. How long will this ban last or will it be here forever? My main riding spots are on creeks. This chaps my a**.

Old 05-14-2002, 11:44 PM
Pro Rider

I don't believe this ****. Awww poor little fishies........SQUISH! er uh oops[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] About as stupid as global warming.

Old 05-15-2002, 05:15 AM
Pro Rider

...........er, um, well, i was trying to come up with some optimism here.......i'm stumped on this one. wait, wait, wait, i got it. these hatchlings will provide more food for those giant a$$ gar. yeah, that's it.

Old 05-15-2002, 08:32 AM
Pro Rider

Yeah, good luck enforcing that one. Are we going to have park rangers stationed every 300 feet along every creek to enforce this law? I really doubt it. Are we going to have Park Rangers come onto MY private property to monitor me in case I cross the creek? I REALLY doubt that one! I honestly don't see the point to creating laws that you can never enforce. It would be like them passing a law that says you can't chew gum outdoors past 8:00 PM. How in the he!! would you ever enforce that except for the accidental meeting of an officer and a "law-breaker"?

Where there's a will there's a way--build a ramp!! Jump that damn creek and after someone breaks their arm or leg you can tell the state it was because you weren't allowed in the water.

Old 05-15-2002, 06:01 PM
Pro Rider

guy,

they might have better luck than you think. down here in our parts of "creek-land" only certain parts of the river system are cross-able or ridable. those places have numerous deer camps , etc surrounding them ( hey, we're rednecks what u expect ) and they seem to be a favorite place for the game wardens. they crack down on alcohol, trespassing, etc in some areas heavily... unfortunately these people really dont have anything better do but hassle us out on the sandbars! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] Hope my bike can out run theirs!!

Old 05-15-2002, 06:05 PM
Pro Rider

i usually ride in grayling michigan. about 8 years ago, the dnr closed any and all trails that cross ANY FORM OF WATER. i have since checked out numerous trails and none cross water. it seems to take the fun out of 4x4 quads when you cant even get near water, ( other than a mud hole or big puddle) . we used to ride to the dams in the area, and check it out. cross at shallow points, and have a ball. now, i cant get withen 1 mile of any of them. i hate it when we all pay for some jacka$$es thoughts on what is right and what it wrong. i still respect the law, and if they say you cant, then i wont. i sure do miss the good ol' days when water was something to concour, rather than something you only wish you could see while riding.

my pictures

Old 05-15-2002, 06:05 PM
Pro Rider

Man it's strict around there![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img] Seems like you guys are fighting an up hill battle![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] Things have'nt gotten that bad around here yet, but it's only a matter of time.

Old 05-15-2002, 06:45 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Razormazer is right our game wardens have been known to hide in the woods, on gov land, and check people coming by. They also will sneak around on horses in the woods as well. One of the smaller rivers around here has a large sand bar that we used to ride on until the wardens caught a couple of us riding there. He said some bs about epa and oil off of our motors in the river. We left when he said 1,000 dollar fine for it. The other problem with this is he didn't say anything to the 4x4 crowd down there. Down here there are only a few closed course tracks and the rest is private land you have to trespass to get on. I don't like trespassing but we don't liter or do any damage to anything there, like earth moving equipment, most of these places are dirt pits. We had a good place to go until some yahoo broke his leg not watching where he was going and went off a 10 foot cliff. The owner got scared of a lawsuit and shut it down.

Quick Reply: More Problems in Mississippi!!