Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Do You Wear A Helmet When You Ride?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2002, 04:46 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

While I have yet to encounter a situation where I need it,which I just might anyday now, I always where mine. I also feel naked without it. I currently have a O'neal WF542 helmet, the red one.

Old 05-15-2002, 04:58 PM
Pro Rider

Yes and no for me also. I havesome acreage so I can rid eat my house, but whenever I leave my property I wear one. Plus, I rid eon roads to get to some gravel/cinder pits and if I get caught without one by a cop, $500, but if I have oen they don't care! I currently don't know what mine is, because I cracked my last one in half(It fell off my handlebars and rolled under my axle, then my trike rolled backwards and split it in two) and never have got around to getting a new one so I use my old school Bell. I've learned that trying to race a CR250 and keeping too close in XC style area's, you get pounded with sticks and big dirt clods, so might as well protect your head!

Old 05-15-2002, 05:00 PM
Pro Rider

been riding for more years than most, been in at least 3 street accidents, countless trail bashes, and when dirt riding i always wear a helmet going through trees and brush without it will scar you for life, it sits in the back seat of my truck (thor SVS 4), the flip side of that is i rode my harley for 15years never used a helmet of the 3 street accidents 2x had a helmet (crotch rocket) and the one time i wrecked without it was into a cop who ran a red light. been lucky and never even scratched a helmet in an accident

Old 05-15-2002, 05:04 PM
Pro Rider

I always wear mine. I have landed on my head and shoulder before and while it broke my collar bone, I only had a slight headache. I also went over the bars in a race and didn't know I landed on my head until a few days later when I was washing my helmet and noticed all the new scratches. Mine is a Fulmer AF-SX.

Old 05-15-2002, 05:59 PM
Pro Rider

I would'nt even think of riding my machine 2' without my helmet. (AFX)

Old 05-15-2002, 06:01 PM
Range Rover

If I am on my land I don't. But if I go out on trails... DEFINATLY!

Last year I was on a ride and it was extremely dusty. The people in front of me almost missed the turn so they slammed on their brakes. Well that caused more dust and the people behind them to swerve and hit their brakes. Well the last person that was in front of me was my wife and at the time we had Honda Recons, which DO NOT have brake lights. By the time I saw her it was too late. Smacked her at about 40 MPH. I just caught the edge of her rear rack. She spun and fell off. Luckily she only got a small rock stuck in her hand. I was catapulted and hit the gravel road doing allot of my sliding on my helmet. I got road rash on my leg, arm, and shoulder. If I didn’t have a helmet my head would have been ripped to shreds or cracked open.

Did a total of $1500 worth of damage between the two machines.

Old 05-15-2002, 07:15 PM
Range Rover

my daddy makes me wear my helmut al of the time!!
Glad he made me or i wouldn't be alive right now, considering that i did a nose dive into the ground with my warrior and it landed on me.

Old 05-15-2002, 07:17 PM
Elite Pro Rider
testing testing 123.

Oh dear I was just waiting for something like this to come up!! Just a little "story". We ALWAYS stress wearing helmets to all the kids but just one day a couple weeks ago my husband and nephews just happen to be drag racing in the sand and he didn't have his on when low and behold he couldn't stop and slid sideways, looked fine until he sat up and blood was running down his face!! He was fine till the 2 inch peckerpole got caught on his fender and came up and put a big ol gash from his eyebrow about halfway up his forhead damn lucky he didn't loose an eye, but now we've all seen that "STUPID HURTS"!!!!!!!!! And the kids seen for 1st hand what can happen just the one time you "don't need it" HA I'm putting a big BandAid on his helmet and writing "stupid hurts" and yeah he does ride a 400EX so we give him alot of grief about this. I'm refering to the video tapes they send out to buyers LOL[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
I suppose I should say that we ALL wear them 99.9% of the time especially the kids!!!
Me;O'neal
Him; HJC
Kids; not sure but they are good ones

Old 05-15-2002, 07:40 PM
Range Rover

All the time, a B&W one to match the Raptor. It saves the head and always saves the ears from the e-series[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 05-15-2002, 07:59 PM
Pro Rider

Yes i always wear my helmet saves you from getting whipped in the back of the head from your flag.
Mines an AXO mm zero.

Quick Reply: Do You Wear A Helmet When You Ride?