Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Do You Wear A Helmet When You Ride?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2002, 05:28 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was just wondering how many of you wear a helmet when you ride
(Its 3:30am, I wonder some weird stuff this time of the morning!!)

As for me, I've done enough stupid stuff & seen the results of other peoples stupid stuff that I always wear a helmet when I ride.

I wear a Yamaha Moto Force GX9. I bought it the same day I got My Raptor.

So how about it do you or don't you?

If you do what kind do you wear?
Has it ever saved you?

If you don't tell us the reason why!!
Did you ever wish you had worn one?

Old 05-15-2002, 05:43 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

I wear one Moose, every ride. Oneal 540.
Why? Can't think of a reason not to I guess, plus I like my noggin the way it is.
Saved me? Yeah it has!
Its amazing how big the rocks that get roosted can be, I've had them hit me with such force that I thought my neck was injured from it!
Its also amazing how those tree limbs can come outa nowhere.
Keeps the dirt outa my ears too.
Hit my head on the ground wiping out on hill climbs more than once - rocks, logs, all that jazz can put a hurtin' on the head.
Never had a bike land on my head before, but when it happens I'll be wearing my hardhat...

Old 05-15-2002, 09:46 AM
Pro Rider

I dont even know what kind of helmet mine is, but I wear it riding, definitely!

Saved me once too on a climb. dirt hill in the woods, technical.. Lost traction and slid down backwards into a large rock, I went flying off backwards into a tree. put a nice crease in the back of the helmet too.. still got a concussion and blacked out about 1 hr later at a gas pump..

Old 05-15-2002, 10:36 AM
Pro Rider

If I drove for 3 hours and forgot my helmet, I wouldn't even ride. If I can't ride fast then I don't want to ride at all. My helmet and goggles save me from some level of pain every time I ride. My Raptor is not a pretty sight because I run over trees, bushes, and anything else that gets in my way (mechanically it is very sound though). I endo'd the quad once doing a small wheelie over a dip in the ground. When I landed, part of a cut tree limb caught my a-arm and dug into the ground. It flipped me instantly. I was almost knocked out. I was too dazed to jump up like I usually do when I crash. I just remember watching everyone in front of me keep going and wondering how long until they realized I wasn't behind them. The quad suffered a broken tie-rod end, bent tie-rod, and bent rim.

I also endo'd over a tabletop at Budds Creek on a WR400. The helmet definitely saved my head along with the chest protector. The helmet was retired. I stopped wearing elbow pads after this. They just get in your way when your are riding and don't do much to protect you when you wipe out.

I now have an HJC and a Shoei FX-4. I am waiting on a replacement visor for the Shoei. My brother didn't make a climb on the 400ex and tried to take the ride down the hill backwards. He did pretty well until he turned to see where he was going. In doing this, he turned the wheel and flipped. The quad rolled with him twice grabbing him like a rag doll. They came to rest against a tree. The amazing thing is that he walked away from this. The helmet was all twisted around on his head and the visor was gone. I am sure he would have suffered from this. Funny, riding quads is now dangerous but jumping 20' waves at Sabestian Inlet in Florida is fairly safe. Too funny. Idiot doesn't know 2nd gear from 3rd and doesn't have enough sense to bail on a ride that isn't even his. My dad is 72 and I am 37. My brother told my mom and dad that they need to talk to me about riding. My parents took my Yamaha 80 away from me when I was 12 and my BMX bike when I was 16. Somehow, I think they lost the authority to take my Raptor from me. It isn't like I have some big inheritance coming (or I would invite my dad to ride now wouldn't I, just kidding...).

/NotuRaptor

Old 05-15-2002, 10:54 AM
Pro Rider

Always !!!!!!!!!

If you don't there must be nothing in your dam head to start

Answer, and HJC

Yes have been saved just in the trails with branches bouncing off.
You never know when something can happen

Old 05-15-2002, 11:37 AM
Trailblazer

all the time
everyone we ride with wears it
or they do not ride

Old 05-15-2002, 11:51 AM
Trailblazer

A very strong 99% of the time. the only time that I don't is when I have to run the 3/4 mile to grandpa's or if i am loading it. Thor SVS3 My dad went thru the roof when he found out that I spent that much cash on a helmet, but.... it is worth it

Old 05-15-2002, 12:08 PM
Weekend Warrior

All the time.
I wear a Fulmer

Old 05-15-2002, 12:55 PM
Weekend Warrior

As of May 6th we're no required to by law in Utah. I did and always will anyway when riding for recreation. The one time I struggle with wearing it is during the deer hunt. I still should, but can't bring myself to.

Old 05-15-2002, 12:57 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Yes and no. I have a nice, nice shoei helmet. My kid ALWAYS wears his, or he does not ride. I know i should too. Hopefully i will not die before he grows up. I always wear a helment when we go ride places other than home. I have 155 acres at the house. If i get out of the play ride mode at the house, the helment comes on. I am guilty of some 70 mph dragstip runs unprotected.

Quick Reply: Do You Wear A Helmet When You Ride?