Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Raptors now the slowest?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2002, 10:47 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

should have told my friend who melted the motor on his 400ex trying to keep up with us, might have made him feel better about the $2500 he is spending to rebuild his motor

Old 05-17-2002, 11:24 AM
Pro Rider

This was my point, in stock form the Raptor, Cannondale, DS, and Banshee are very close speedwise. I dont know about the Z400 because I have yet to run across one. Stock for stock nobody's STOMPING nobody. Open up the engine a little and we know who wins!

Old 05-17-2002, 12:25 PM
Pro Rider

Some of them do get wipped STOCK for STOCK. The Raptor looks neat as hell and performs as it looks. Lets face it people the cannondales are in a league all their own. Unlike the Raptor they look kinda wierd. But preform VERY well. Dont give me that crap,"well they are already modified thats not stock vs stock." Thats how they come from the dealership brand new untouched. And stock for stock they will kill the competition. There I have said it. When the z400 comes out if its only slightly faster than an EX it will be behind too. Whenever people compare the 400EX to the Raptor they're all like I'll smoke him in a drag,only place I'll get beat by an ex is on a trail or mx track of some sort. Thats what Honda had in mind,when the EX was built! It wasn't meant to out drag out speed every other machine out there!! So,don't put down on the EX like "should have told my friend who melted his motor trying to keep up with us." a 400EX is not going to melt it's motor because of trying to keep up with something. There would have to be something potentially wrong with it for something like that to happen. Either that,or it wasn't maintained well. You bought YOUR machine because you like it,not to rag on other peoples machines or for them to put you down.

Old 05-17-2002, 01:03 PM
Pro Rider

Thrust-KILL the competition on a MX track stock for stock maybe but thats where it ends. Excelling in one feild is not killing the competition.

Old 05-17-2002, 01:26 PM
Pro Rider

R u talking about honda or cannondale?

Old 05-17-2002, 06:19 PM
Pro Rider

Guys, I wasn't trying to bash the Raptor. It's just that people don't give Cannondale their props for what they're doing. Sure, a Raptor can be built to be one bad *** machine, and eventually the Cannondales will be too. It seems to me that alot of people only care about how fast it is. We all know the Raptor can be built, same with a Banshee,DS,and 400EX(Kinda). I will say this, all that crap about the Raptor being tippy and having a tall seat hieght is BS. I had the chance to finally check one out today, they're very comfortable and not tippy at all, well compared to what I've been riding(85 ATC250R). Maybe these people just need to learn how to use body english!

Old 05-17-2002, 08:51 PM
Pro Rider

I agree with Zombie660R. Why are all other quads compares to the Raptor. Must be the machine to beat...if you can!!!!

Old 05-18-2002, 12:07 AM
Range Rover

There are no 2 machine alike, stock for stock. Take 2 of the same make (stock) and chances are one will be a little better than the other. When they are being built there are tolerance to the machining one could be a little tighter than the other, a little off here and a little off there. Next thing you know on the dyno the better one will make 3% more power. Then when you race them 2 different riders, and at the end 2 different results. This then gets even worse when they are modded. You think you are doing something to make your machine faster and in the end it's a little slower, with no dyno you really don't know. So like everyone has been saying, you bought yours because it turned your crank, so be happy and ride like there is no tomorrow.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

When I bought my Raptor I knew very little about quads. I knew that a Warrior wasn't enough, but I liked the reverse. So this took care of the 400ex and the DS650 (which I really liked because of it's size) I didn't want a 2 stroke (sold my CR250 for my quad) so this took care of the Banshee.
One day I was looking through the Bike trader and saw a Raptor (used, the guy couldn't afford it, not even 6 months old) went and looked at it, knew nothing about them. Liked what I saw and bought it, so there is my reason for a Raptor, an impulse buy. No regrets.

Old 05-18-2002, 02:48 AM
Pro Rider

Well a piped and jetted raptor might not beat a stock 400ex, because pipes are over rated and who says they jetted in the right direction. A dreadfull midrange dead spot would be a death knell to any drag race. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] Just to put my two cents in.

Old 05-19-2002, 12:31 AM
Pro Rider

I take back the thing i said where a 400EX won't melt it's engine when trying to keep up. if the rev limiter was taken off it could happen.

Quick Reply: Raptors now the slowest?