Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Dealing with WEB CAM

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2002, 11:29 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone have any problems dealing with Web Cam? I am picturing myself talking to a rep.....(me)what do you mean you can't refund the deposit because my cam is wasted? (rep)I am sorry sir, I can't help you. Sir, I can dispose of your junk cam for you....since shipping will cost more than the cam is worth.

Does this happen often? What kind of springs do you guys recommend?

Old 05-17-2002, 12:35 PM
Pro Rider

Never heard of that, your talking about the core charge right?

Im not sure how thats possible unless other than the cam lobes were damaged, all they do is weld more metal on the lobes to get more lift and duration, even if the lobes were totally wore I dont see why it would matter. I wish I could tell ya though, I bought mine outright

Old 05-17-2002, 03:16 PM
Pro Rider

Gary, I had great results with Web. I talked to a lady, I think she is the owner or part owner. She helped me pick my cam and they never gave me any problems returning the old core. I am sure someone on this forum knows the owners name or at least someone that you can talk to that will give you an honest answer.

I would recommend the RD Springs with titanium retainers. Originally you had to mix and match exhaust and intake springs, because the springs were originally designed for the european guys but were said to have too much spring pressure. Now RD offers a spring kit specifically for the Raptor. Their number is 760-948-4698. If you have an AMA card or race, they will sell the kit to you at wholesale. I can't remember exactly, but it was right around $150-160 for the kit.

Old 05-17-2002, 10:53 PM
Pro Rider

Her name is Laura Dunlap. They are great to deal with but sometimes your cam is beyond use.I roached a Barnett clutch in my motor and toasted everything beyond core credit and I didn't blow it up. It was very close of letting go though.
NEVER will run another Barnett in a four stroke.
Maybe you want more detail: When the kevlar burns off the plates it (the kevlar) runs thru all the oil lines and thus through out the whole motor.
RESULT: trashed 10 hr. old motor,1100.00 in parts and labor,plenty of time and effort to redo,most important no quad to ride while being repaired.

Old 05-18-2002, 03:16 PM
Pro Rider

If your bearing surfaces are trashed, the cam is done! If the timing gear tabs are bent or cracked, the cam is done! If the lobes are too worn, the cam is done! Nobody can work wonders with a dead cam. Would you want to be the person who received a repaired trashed cam??

WebCam is the best cam shop for your atv engine needs. MegaCycle will not give you the time of day. Besides, Mega's cams were designed for use in the street bike engines -- now they sell them for the Raptor. Good luck trying to install a cam with .429" lift without cutting your valve guides. Ask Mega a question and they will tell you to send your engine to a "qualified" mechanic.

Sure there are a few other shops with grinders but I will keep my money on WebCam. The have always worked with me on my cam projects big or small.

Old 05-18-2002, 04:11 PM
Pro Rider

I ordered and received a Web Cam part#696/697 along with some stainless valves and the cam worked just the way they said it would. I belive this is the same cam that trinty uses in some of there 686 raptors. I am very pleased with the way they handeled eveything and most importantly I did not get something that I did not want it was dead on! I would recommend this company to anyone if they say your core is no good then, I would say its no good!

Old 05-18-2002, 11:49 PM
Pro Rider

I had no problems with them when I bought my cam, it takes a while to get your core charge back but they just want to check it out. good company