Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

I Really hate all belt driven atvS

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2002, 12:00 AM
TG1
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I guess I'll throw in my $.02, I like my auto Cat no more thinking about when or if I should down shift. Although after owning a couple of manual quads before this, I find myself constantly worrying if water is going to get into the tranny via the air intakes. Quite simply it's a pain in the a$$ to have to stop and drain the tranny if a little water gets the belt wet. Splashing through a semi deep puddle is all it can take to cause belt slippage (given the right conditions). The biggest reason I bought an auto this time around was so that my girlfriend could drive it more often (very one I ride owns an auto). Andy makes a good point manufactures should offer both auto and manual quads (just like Cat). One last thing, no matter how well the EBS works it will never compare to down shifting for long steep hills.
Will I buy another auto? Yes, because it's easier for me to drive. Are they the best for everyone? No.

Old 05-23-2002, 12:16 AM
Pro Rider

Andy,
It would've been much nicer just to accept a different opinion. That's what people normally do.I don't wanna push it,so I stop right here.
Just for you to remember,you will change your priorities thru your life,what seems to be idiotic today, will be peffectly fine 15 years from now......
Plus not all people from old Forum are gone,some people are still here,they just keep low profile and have a life to live.
J.

Old 05-23-2002, 06:41 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

LSnake- you can go **** up a flagpole for all I care. You are one of those that takes a topic that doesn't agree with you and then turns it into a damn massive arguement. I would imagine I had this belt drive quad before you ever did, and I would also imagine I knew what I was getting when I got it. Grizzly is the best I can find. I never said it was junk. Just that I hate the belt drive, and that if they made a manual Grizzly (which they don't), I would trade for one. For some reason, that just didn't sit well with you. Why should I trade it? For what dumbass? For a 500? Its not like there is another 600+ with a manual to go for just yet, so I have the next best thing. You are a worthless loser man. I've been in this forum since 98, with almost 10 times more posts that the 255 argumentitive statements that you've managed to squeek out. I'm looking like a jackass? I think you are with your "go buy a rubicon" crap you brand loyal bootlicker.

Colt77- I have no problem with anyones opinion. I think the table is turned here a bit though. I originally replied to this with my opinion, thus agreeing with the topic. After that, I merely explained why I would rather have the geared transmission, and for what reasons. Then of course, it turned to a flame war (like half the stuff here does and has forever). I don't really mind one way or another what other people like. I just don't see why some have to tell me what I should have and why.

Can't find a place here where I said "all of you with belt drives need to get a different machine" Matter of fact, I think I said that it would be nice for Yamaha to be like Arctic Cat and make two models.

Old 05-23-2002, 04:18 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Guys, be NICE! Think NICE...lol.

Old 05-23-2002, 04:21 PM
Pro Rider

yeah that's all i do is sit around and try to start a fight. i have nothing better to do with my time, please! I look at threads that interest me and offer my input, when someone pisses on me for what i say nicely i don't take to it kindly. i just offer my input and people jump on my back. I'm sorry if i offended anybody. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]

Perrya- nothing in this whole thread involves you, i know you are just trying to be a smart *** again. now i've asked you several times to not act like a jerk off, and you take no heed. don't make me take more drastic messures.
in case everyone else does not know, me and him are riding buddies, i told him about this site so maybe he could learn something. instead he has just harrassed me and acts like a smart *** toward me. real nice guy huh.

Old 05-23-2002, 06:12 PM
Pro Rider

well, I guess I am not too fond of the belt drive idea, but I do like the automatic idea... thx for clarifying that

on the other hand, I started on 3 wheelers in the early 80s, I have ridin mostly auto clutches, with the exception of my 250x being a manual clutch... shifting gears is fun on a sport machine, but anything else, I can do w/o shifting [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

on my vehicles, I prefer standards any day.. I absolutely hate autos in cars!

weird eh? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 05-25-2002, 02:32 AM
Pro Rider

The belt lag is real, after getting a little more saddle time I've gotten a bit more used to it, for example giving a zap of throttle a full 15 feet sooner than I would on my rancher at the same speed for lightening/lifting the front end for obstacles. I'm not sure where the power goes but it 'shore' does disappear untill it's good and ready to send it to the back tires.

edit added: I suspect the condition may improve somewhat as the engine and belt drive loosens a bit with breakin. This would hopefully allow for a bit more of that 'rev room' over a shorter period of time, that I was talking about.

Old 05-25-2002, 04:54 AM
Weekend Warrior

Well, guess I'll add a SNYD remark here. Last fall I was moose hunting with my buddy and riding his 02 Griz. I was slowing going down a long hill "road hunting". In high range I was going to fast, low range was to slow. Not steep enough with the engine braking to be able to move. So, as a result my thumb got awful tired holding the throttle to be able to go down hill in low range. High range meant riding the squeaky brake. I will be buying a new quad here in a month or so and will buy a 500i manual. I have owned a lot of 4x4 trucks over the years. Autos and manuals both. It boils down to this. Going uphill autos are great. Going downhill manuals are the best. I also just like the straight forward simplicity of a man trans. My SNYD .02 worth.

Old 05-27-2002, 07:09 PM
Pro Rider

Actually I dig the engine braking in low range, and high range for that matter, while cruising I noted that it decelerates in high range from 60mph or so down to 20 in short order, enough that the brakes don't get much high speed use, (that'll make them last for a while).

Old 05-28-2002, 04:49 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Yes, the engine braking is much better than I thought it would be. I rode a 97 Sportsman 400L one time and liked to have crapped myself. The Grizzly is totally predictable, and low range does a good enough job on downhills. Granted, it won't crawl down as slow as my AC would in low range first gear, but it still crawls good enough that you are in complete control. I have no problems at all with the engine braking effects. Not even an issue.

Quick Reply: I Really hate all belt driven atvS