Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

buy a raptor?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2002, 12:09 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just trying to get some info from the raptor owners. I was looking at the honda 400ex but i'd like reverse so i was leaning towards a yamaha warrior(heard its good for all around) Now also looking at suzuki z400 cause i just found out about that one and it looks nice. But now im thinking maybe to just get a raptor. But is the Raptor worth it for me? I'll be doing all around riding. There's many trails all in my town and a few straight dirt roads, some mud here and there on a few when its rained. ofcourse there will be wide open dirt areas too.... Is the Raptor good for all around, or just for open speed? i want some decent speed, but i really wanna whip around in the trails and have fun in there.
Thanks......

Old 05-21-2002, 02:17 PM
Pro Rider

I do Tight woods trails, open areas, sand dunes, Sand drags & general putting around. My Raptor does great in all these places.

The only places I have problems with it is mud & serious rock climbing. The main reason it lacks in these aress is ground clearance. I put the full set of GYT-R skids on it & I can make it over the rocky trails but I still get hung up every now & then.

It just doesn't like those mud holes though, but thats OK because it takes forever to get it clean after a mud bath so I don't do any mudding but if I cross a mud hole I just blast through it, If I get stuck well that's just part of the adventure!!

The sand & trail riding is where it rules & thats where I do most of my riding.

Old 05-21-2002, 02:57 PM
Pro Rider

Raptor or suzuki? why not Cannondale?

Warrior: i own one. reverse. it's on the heavy side. but they are bullet proof. lacks engine punch.
Raptor: i own one.reverse. a little heavy...but more than enough engine to get airborne. responds incredibly well to upgrades...you will not grow out of.
Suzuki: have not rode.Reverse. lighter than the others...respectable power. to early to tell how it responds to upgrades..

Old 05-28-2002, 11:58 PM
Pro Rider

The Raptor is a great purchase for a dual sport ATV as far as being able to go into the Desert and run the 4-Stoke real hard and as far is MX is great with a little bit of gearing to help in the jump areas. Might want to think about what type of ridding you will do the "most". Either way there both good bikes.

Old 05-29-2002, 10:42 AM
Trailblazer

Have just bought my Raptor.I have had it a week and I love it.I looked at all the quads you mentioned and I just liked the Raptor the best.As Moose said you will need the skid plates.The stock skids are not too strong.But this is the only thing I have found that I don't like.It has incredible power but not too strong to be controled.You can ride it fairley slow or as fast as I care to go. Good luck and I hope this helps.

J. Prentice