Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Taking Raptor to the 1/4 mile dragstrip this coming week.

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2002, 09:33 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, so last week I was at the track running my car and heard a suprising announcement from the tower. They said that the NHRA has recently approved the running of ATV's at the track and they were hoping to see some around on Test & Tune nights soon. Needless to say I was pretty excited and I'm planning on bringing my Raptor this week.

Now with my current mods (basic airbox, jetting, sparks timing advance, slip on exhaust, gearing change) I have hit around 83 on my GPS. Now I'm guessing with my current setup with stock sized Razr's on the back (that run taller than stock somehow), and 14-42 gearing, that I'm going to be topped out not much past the 1/8 mile. So my question is, what kind of crazy tall gearing can I pull so that I will top out much closer to the end?? I was thinking of putting my stock 40 on the rear and moving to a 15 or 16 in the front. With the current 14-42 gearing I would have to baby it quite a bit off the line to keep the front end down so I figure I should be able to gear up a good amount. What gearing would you guys recommend for the most top end by the end of the strip without bogging it out in 5th??? Also what kind of MPH do u think I could expect max with the amount of power being made?

Tim

Old 05-12-2002, 03:26 AM
Pro Rider

You ought to put on a wheelie bar, then you wouldn't have to worry about the launch.

You can see the wheelie bar I made for my Raptor on My Web Site it would work great on asphalt.

Old 05-12-2002, 07:43 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I went up one on the front sproket and it still pulls good but only gainned a few,maybe 2, MPH. Try it out and see which you like the best. Much more than 14 and it seems to me that it would start to slow you down too much at the start to make up for it on the other end if it would pull it. Lets me know how it turns out I have tought about going to our local strip.

Old 05-12-2002, 08:09 PM
Pro Rider

hey i was going to go w/ a 15, high school drags is coming up and i want to make a good showing for the atv people, i heard the rap will turn out high 13's ...whatever that works for me

Old 05-12-2002, 08:44 PM
Pro Rider

I tried mine at a 1/8 mile track once and had a real hard time with the launch....1st and 2nd all it wanted to do was look at the sky. I would recommend themoose's idear of a wheelie bar. at the time all I had was a pipe and jet kit and mine went 10.1 et @ 63mph with stock gearing! Its alot harder then you think to get that thing launched!I am sure thats what killed my time and speed! Good luck and let us know how you did!

Old 05-12-2002, 09:34 PM
Elite Pro Rider

9.02 last year, 1/8 mile. Gyrt slip-on, pro-flow. Headed back soon to see the improvements!

Old 05-12-2002, 09:57 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Track testing is the best way to determine improvements when you start doing mods. I've made about 800 passes in the past 3 years in my 90 Mustang GT. Dyno #'s are important but when you can see improvements at the track with each mod it really makes it worth it. I think it would be tough to make a full 1/4 mile pass with an atv. They are geared much lower because of their use in the woods, therefor it would be better to run the 1/8 only. I think a longer swingarm would help greatly in controlling the front wheels. As soon as I get my DS650 I am going to run it at the track and see what it will run.

Old 05-13-2002, 03:46 AM
Pro Rider

You guys are only running 9s and 10s in the 1/8? Now I'm scared because I challenged a Banshee guy at the track last week who was running 8.2s at around 76 mph. Uh oh!! He said the damn thing only had FMF pipes and jetting, it *can't* be that much faster can it? Oh well, I'll just have to run him with the Mustang and put the smack down on him with some 7.2s at 97 mph![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 05-13-2002, 08:20 AM
Pro Rider

Is there anyone on this board that DOESN'T have a Mustang other than me?

Tim

Old 05-13-2002, 07:16 PM
Pro Rider

I onlt tried mine once because I COULDN'T keep the tires on the ground in 1'st and 2'nd so I figured it would be a waste of time without wheelie bars! so I am sure you could do alot better with bars like THEMOOSE has made up for his! The only reason I tried was because I had it up to the track while I was racing the car and thought it would be fun!

Quick Reply: Taking Raptor to the 1/4 mile dragstrip this coming week.