Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Help! Raptor Clutch kits

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2002, 02:34 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i'm getting my Raptor ready for the 686 upgrade. I own a 01 and thankfully have not had tranny/clutch problems.

any recommendations?

i'm thinking...just buy the 02 clutch parts and add a hinson clutch basket.

is anyone using the Fortin setup? this is the first time i've upgraded a clutch...any advice regarding what not to do will be helpful as well.

Old 05-21-2002, 02:44 PM
Pro Rider

I did not do the basket but I did put in a Barnett clutch kit that included heavy springs, new fibers, new plates. Works great.

Raptor720 saved me on the install because the shift fork behind the basket fell below the "doo hickey" and I could only shift up...and not down [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]

put your bike in N and don't touch the shift lever. the side case holds the shift spline in. Don't let it push out and fall below the "doo hickey" behind the clutch basket.

Old 05-21-2002, 03:04 PM
Pro Rider

thats one for Barnett...keep them coming. i got budget approval...and i need to spend it before the wife comes to her senses.

Blueleader: thank you for the technical explanation...i will watch the Doo-Hickey. lol

Old 05-21-2002, 06:21 PM
Pro Rider

I went with the sparks kit, heavy duty plates and springs, I had to remove the clutch boss since the plates were so thick I had no pull left, would have been nice of sparks to tell me. other than that the kit is great with the built motor it hooks up nicely

Old 05-21-2002, 09:26 PM
Pro Rider

I fried my stock clutch on the Raptor without having a ton of hours on it. I have a feeling it is just too weak for the power. On several of the plates it was just smooth, no teeth left at all. I went with Barnett also and so far it seems to work real well, it is a huge difference from the stock worn clutch, the gears really snap now when you shift.

Tim

Old 05-21-2002, 11:43 PM
Pro Rider

take it from bad learning. DO NOT use a Barnette clutch. When you burn a Barnette clutch the kevlar which is like sand will run all through a four stroke machine and totaly TRASH your motor. I know because I had a motor built with a piston kit and port job and ran about 10 hrs. on it, smoked the clutch and when the motot builder tore it down he basicly called me a liar when I told him I only had 10 to 15 hrs. on the quad.
After he removed the oil lines and saw all the burnt kevlar in the oil screen he explained to me the problems with kevlar clutches using my motor as an example.

My cam, crank, valves, bearings, and oil lines were just wasted from the kevlar grit that ran thru my machine.

I know Four Stroke Tech and Trinity Racing can give you the part numbers for the plates you will want to run in your raptor.
These are NOT Raptor clutch part numbers.

If you can't reach them PM. me and I'll get them for you.

I'm running them in both of my 30,000.00 Raptors and they work great.

Old 05-22-2002, 02:08 PM
Pro Rider

okay so turbo33 just scared the s out of me regarding barnett. so kevlar clutches desinegrate. what does that leave me for options? FST isn't picking up?

Old 05-22-2002, 02:12 PM
Pro Rider

Just got off the phone with trinity and they recommended the GYT-R clutch setup? said it was a real sweet setup. Comments please?

Old 05-22-2002, 02:22 PM
Pro Rider

my brother went with the gytr setup on his, he had a local shop do the work for him though so I have no feedback on install, he seems to like it, but he was afraid of going with "too strong" springs, getting old i guess so his clutch does feel a bit softer than mine (sparks) but I love the stout springs with my motor, it drops and rocks like the beast it is

Old 05-22-2002, 02:32 PM
Pro Rider

Scared the s out of you? What about me! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

I think my kit was the cheaper one without kevlar. I hope.

Quick Reply: Help! Raptor Clutch kits