Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Raptor K&N leaking dirt

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2002, 12:39 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I pulled the air box lid off of my Raptor, I noticed a lot of sand had accumulated along the top and bottom edges next to where it is supposed to be sealed. It had worked it's way under the Outerware also. I could see a small area that did not seal very well with the gasket supplied by K&N. After removing the air box and filter to clean it, I found that sand had gotten past the seal and was in both boots leading to the carbs. Not sure what to do to seal it properly. Just noticed in the Rocky Mountain ATV catalogue that K&N makes a sealing grease. Sounds like it might work on the top but how are you goinig to seal the sides and bottom? I need some ideas or other alternatives.

Old 05-22-2002, 12:50 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

That sux.

I would take the flange off the airbox and check the rubber gasket for damage. Maybe it cam out of the groove when you installed it. Upon reinstalling use bearing grease or other similar grease and put grease all along the rubber seal then reinstall it. Make sure the bottom is in the groove where the stock filter would sit and bolt it up tight. Unless your box is warped or somthing I can't see why it would be leaking by. Have you checked the filter for holes in the fiber or wire on the outside?

Old 05-22-2002, 01:16 AM
Pro Rider

Raptorrider2001, you need to run the two stage foam element filter to be safe from pro flow like 14mins and chris run on their raptors. I run a different kind ( UNI dual element). The K&N does have some problems and I would not ever run them in the sand even with the outerware. A lot of people sware by them and get good performance but at what cost for a leak? Not enough difference in performance. They are great for street use.

Old 05-22-2002, 01:39 AM
Pro Rider

You said it RaptorRRC! Foam is in, paper is out. Great riding with you guys last weekend.

Old 05-22-2002, 05:40 AM
Pro Rider

All you did was put a good filter on a poorly designed air box. The best way to fix it is to get the Pro Design adaptor with the filter of your choice.

Old 05-22-2002, 09:59 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

My bad. Misunderstood. Thought you already had the pro design. In that case, moose has the answer.

Old 05-22-2002, 10:21 AM
Pro Rider

you should have received a tube of grease with your filter its still a kluge to get it to seat right, pro-design is the best way to go, and paper flows so much better than foam, makes a noticeable improvement in performance, never had had any sand/dust blow by my k&n prodesign and i ride in very dusty conditions, I would only use foam if I was getting in the "wet", not very likely out here in NM

Old 05-22-2002, 01:39 PM
Pro Rider

One thing about the Pro-Design filter flange is that it can leak dirt too. It has the thin o-ring that is supposed to seal it to the airbox but I never got a warm-fuzzy from that. I used silicone sealant between the flange and airbox to make sure nothing was getting in.

If you are getting sand between the outerwear and the filter you can wrape some electrical tape around where the elastic part of the outerwear is??? I've done that in the past but even when I haven't I rarely get any sand past the outerwear.

This is all on a Banshee BTW but I think it applies fo rthe Raptor as well.

Old 05-22-2002, 02:23 PM
Pro Rider

I made an additional gasget/seal out of wet suit material for the pro-design. worked good.

Old 05-22-2002, 11:54 PM
Pro Rider

I guess there wasn't any grease in the box. Do you know what I can use that I can get locally and not have to order online? Thanks for everyone's help.

Quick Reply: Raptor K&N leaking dirt