Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

wolverine review

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2002, 10:10 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wolverine is a great bike...thee guy who mentioned first gear now being low enough is right....in the heavy bog, or towing, first gear isn't really low enough....however if you're not going to be at that, then go for the wolverine...the higher gearing makes it a pretty fast bike...mud protection sucks though if that's a concern to you....if you go out in your garage and just look at the bike, you'll get covered in mud!!

Old 05-24-2002, 02:58 PM
wyd
Range Rover

My 01 was pretty cool. I did just trade in on a new 02 Warrior but the Wolverine is very nice. It had good power, went almost anywhere I was brave enough to take it. I bought the Warrior because I didn't need the 4wd with guys that I ride with every weekend. Overall I would say the Wolverne was very nice and zero problems with the machine.

Old 05-24-2002, 05:34 PM
Range Rover

Personally I think its the best looking bike out there besides the raptor. I've owned mine for about 6 months now & dont regret it. I could have gotten a grizzly but I know what all the heavy quads can do, plus I like jumping. You cant go wrong especialy if you like modding.

Old 05-24-2002, 06:45 PM
Range Rover

I just bought on wednesday a 2001 because I got a better deal than an 02. I have only had the thing 2 days an I absolutly love it. I'm still on the break in period so give me awhile to right a good review. It seems to be built very well stock tires seem a little chinsy, mud protection isnt so good but if dont want to get muddy dont buy a quad.

Old 05-24-2002, 07:06 PM
Pro Rider

Hey just wanted to be a stick in the mud..dunno if im just the odd man out but my 2000 had a real problem with the valves ..no matter how many times you'd adjust them they would start clattering in just a few minutes....sounded like the motor was about to explode...my buddies 99 warrior did the same thing..hate to rain on anyones parrade and this was not to start a flame but..the wolverine is really under powered..it needs a minimum of 500cc im 6foot 220lbs and it was kinda a dog...if yamaha would bump the motor to atleast 500cc and give the suspension another 2 or 3 inches it would be a world class a$$ kicker...just my opinion ..but if your a big guy...you want more motor...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 05-24-2002, 07:30 PM
Trailblazer

I love my wolverine. I am 5'10" 185lbs and it pulls me fine.
Mine is still stock. I have never heard of problems with the valves,
sounds odd.
The mud for me did get old but the factory over fenders that I put on
cured that. I have had alot of quads the Wolverine is my personal
favorite. Check out the other Wolverine threads at this sight.

Old 05-24-2002, 09:49 PM
Weekend Warrior

When the valves are out of adjustment, its losing power. The valves probably came out of adjustment often because the jetting in the carburetor is wrong. This is caused from either you jetting them wrong or the bike is jetted for a different altitude than you are running it in and this would also lead to a power loss. Hey by the way, if you want your Wolverine to be a 500, then simply make it one. Then it will pull like you won't believe. With some mods it helps make it faster. The 500 kit is availible for Four Stroke Tech.

Old 05-24-2002, 10:09 PM
Pro Rider

well..i sold it cause of the valve issue..like i said my buddies warrior did the same thing..it was bone stock and i never changed a thing..i live at sea level so i would expect it to be "spot on" from the factory..anyhow..just my opin...and i feel that itshould be a 500 from the factory...thats all.

Old 05-24-2002, 10:25 PM
Trailblazer

i got the 500 kit and it is unbelieveable. power and torque when ever you want it. it is what yamaha should build.

Old 05-24-2002, 11:43 PM
Ty2
Trailblazer

I have a 2001 Wolverine -With some modifications I made it look and run great - You gotta check it out on my site that I recently opened.

Quick Reply: wolverine review