Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Warrior modifications or 400EX

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2000, 01:50 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Modify an Warrior or buy an 400EX. What is your opinion?

Old 03-06-2000, 05:47 PM
Pro Rider

Not to be rude.....

but read that sentence and tell me if it makes any sense....

as far as modding a warrior or buying a 400ex...(I think thats what you wanted)...
so much is depending on that one...what year warrior? do you like the bike? It will take alot of work to get a warrior to be as fast as a 400ex...they are both good bikes.....Do what feels good.

Old 03-06-2000, 06:21 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In order for anyone to give you a meaningful reply, it's important to make them understand what you are asking. I'd suggest you make use of the edit button & rewrite your post.

Old 03-08-2000, 03:43 PM
Weekend Warrior

Sorry sAyIt_fmf, I rephase my question to you and the Warrior it's the 2k model.

Old 03-08-2000, 03:47 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hi Hot, I agree with you. It was a very subjective question. And now, do you have any relevant feedback to share?

Old 03-09-2000, 11:01 AM
Weekend Warrior

Hey Flight,
Don't listed to them lecture you on how to word a post and have them tell you to rewrite it. I thought we were talking about ATV's, not English 101. Your question was good enough for me to understand. It also really didn't matter what years of makes you were refering to because the 400 has been out for 2 years and the Warrior hasn't made any major changes to theirs in about 10 years. So back to your simple question as to which to purchase, A Mod. Warrior or a 400ex ?

First of all I don't think you could modify the warrior to bring it up to the same performance of the 400EX with-out spending alot of $$$. I actually don't thing this would even be a Question that is asked so many times (400 vs Polaris Scrambler, 400 vs Banshee, 400 vs 300ex) if honda wound have put a reverse gear on the damn thing. I think the could have owned the market. Basically buying both stock, you get the performance for the price you pay. To get the performance of the Warrior up to the performance of the 400 ex, I thing you will spend more money then it will cost for a new 400ex.

Old 03-10-2000, 11:23 AM
Range Rover

I own a 98 Warrior and in my opinion your talking about two very different atvs. The Warrior is intended for sport-utility (kind of go anywhere, do anything type of machine)whereas the 400ex is intended for high-performance (speed). Mine is completely stock and a 400ex doesn't exactly blow me away, so the 400ex's speed isn't all the hype..like lets say a Banshee.. If you want a high-performance bike look at the Banshee, Bombardier DS 650, and soon to be real Cannondale 400. I know that the Banshee and DS 650 are much faster than a 400ex and it won't suprise me that the Cannondale won't. So, in its own league the 400ex is the slowest high-performance bike. As for my Warrior completely stock I've smoked Hondas 300ex every single time with riders about 50lbs lighter than me.

Old 03-10-2000, 05:06 PM
Range Rover

I don't mean to offend or upset anyone, but a Warrier is outdated in chassis and engine design, and much heavier than a 400EX. If you take a Warrier and a 400EX and do the same mods to both, the 400EX will respond much better due to already much better handling, suspension, lighter weight, and 4-valve vs the Warriors outdated 2-valve head engine. Personally, I really don't see why anyone considering a new quad would even think of spending the money to buy a Warrior over a 400EX, because it is just plain better everywhere. reason why I say that is yes, I like Hondas, but I'm not brand loyal to the point where if another manufacture comes out with a superior quad over what is available, I would never say I don't want one. I will own what works the best, and right now the 400EX works better than the Warrior and Banshee for that matter unless your stricktly a dune rider. No I don't own a 400EX, but I do own the best ever, a TRX250R. As a matter-of-fact I do like the YZ400 engine, so much so (I've been wanting a practice and rider bike as to not have to ride my 330R so much) and I was maybe going to get a 400EX, but instead I found a good deal on a YZ400F, and I am probably going to get it and drop the engine in a Honda frame. That way I will have a fast and good handling 4-stroke, even in stock trim. I know of several people who have or are doing the same, and according to my sources, Yamaha is also basically doing the same themselves. There new quad will be a YZ400 engine in a 400EX/250R style chassis with the Banshee look. If they do build it that way with the better handling, it will be about time for Yamaha and it ought to be a very good quad.

Thats how I see it anyway, and if you don't agree, then thats fine.

Sickman

Old 03-11-2000, 03:53 AM
Pro Rider

EVERONE HAS OPINIONS,
Personally, I don't own either and don't bash or sell either. If you have patience, wait for something better. There are a lot of roomers out about new Quads. Yamaha, Kawasaki and Polaris.

My thoughts are Polaris will have a 500 2x4, which in my book ain't saying much with the S400 2-stroke out already(will be faster out of the hole) unless you are just a 4-stroke lover.

If you can't wait, contrary to what others say, I say go Warrior if you plan on keeping it long. the EX is a lot of hype. It's no 250R any way you look at it. The frame and swingarms are no masterpiece. If you don't believe that, seek out a roughrider who has or more likely HAD one. If you ride woods or MX you will like the handling and power. But I don't get off on getting off and pushing a 400 backwards in a bad place. Warrior's have reverse, they last forever mechanicly and they are just straight out TUFF. Not to mention I can get 1 here $1,400 cheaper if not more.

Worrior's arn't that much slower out of the box. A stock EX does low 60's and i have seen them beat by Warriors in a straight drag. But, Warriors don't handle near as well. My friend has a '91 rode absolutly to death. No rebuilds or major repairs.

Old 03-11-2000, 04:16 AM
Pro Rider

What to do with $1,400+ to get faster and better?
1st, get a tire and wheel package that actually hooks up. My friend runs Realter rears and Bandit fronts. The lower profile will help in corners and getting started improves with more bite. Get rims that will give you a wider stance.
2nd, new, better shocks 'cause stock does suck, especialy in front in corners. The wider stance will put more stress on it too at certain points in the ride.
3rd, try droping a tooth in front, this makes my friend's get out of the hole faster, pull harder in mid and believe it or not gives more top end in 6th 'cause again the 350cc mill is at higher RPM. It takes just enough to make 6th a real gear instead of OVERDRIVE.(make sure the rear matches a '91).
4th, try it, it should be enough, it works for the old engine. I hope you get the same results he does. If not, a pipe and filter souldn't be but a few hundred more.

IF IT WERE ME I'D GET THE SCRAMBLER 400 2X4.
I KNOW IT DOES 68-70 MPH & DON'T TAKE FOREVER.
ALLREADY FASTER & CHEAPER TO MODIFY.
CAN BE BOUGHT IN SOME AREAS FOR $4,250.
THAT'S LESS THAN MSRP.

Quick Reply: Warrior modifications or 400EX