Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

installing jet kit on new grizzly

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2002, 08:00 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey guys,
i just finished drilling out the muffler, and welding in a 1 3/4 in exhaust pipe. wow, what a differance, without it being overly loud. it stands up easy in low by just leaning back slightly on the seat. well, now i have the speed bug, lol. i am going to order the k&n power kit, witch includes the jet kit and the filter. 2 questions...
1.) when i install the filter, will it be o.k to not open up the air box, for fear i will let in water easier? if i have to, is there a way to do it while keeping it safe from water?
2.) the jetting on the carb. is this something i can do, having vary little experiance with carbs. i am handy, and have snorkled my belt system, as well as adjusting my valves. is it real tricky to get right, or just put in a jet, and away you go?
any replys would be helpful, and thanks!!!

my pictures

Old 05-27-2002, 10:17 PM
Pro Rider

On the grizz air box lid I'd drill a set of holes length wise on each side of the filter, keep tape in the trunk for if conditions turn really nasty. Occasional splashes shouldn't be an issue they already have to work pretty hard to get to the grizz's airbox, just tape it up for submarining. Of note because the PVC vent is attached to the 'snorkle' rather than the box on the grizz it may create a leanish condition, from that and the increased air flow.

Old 05-27-2002, 10:33 PM
Pro Rider

Hey Mitch;
How you doing? Question about your exhaust mod...do you notice the need to re-jet now or not? If you have a noticeable difference on takeoff, is there any lag on top end or is it better from top to bottom? I too have the speed bug and have dragged a few sport quads and 4x4 quads, so far the banshee (of course) and the new SUZ z400 have beaten me. I genuinely think a few cheap mods such as air intake and exhaust will close that gap( KAWI650 is soooo restricted it's not funny ) I would imagine the GRIZZ660 is also restricted as is the case with the RAPTOR.Check with NYROC on the KWAI forum, he has done his own exhaust and appears to know everything about jetting and air mods.

PS; like the pics. Hope to have our own site with pics on it soon, as all my riding buds got digital cams.

ROB

Old 05-28-2002, 09:27 AM
Pro Rider

thanks guys!!
rob, i havent taken it all the way to the top to see if it has helped on top end, but on takeoff, it was quite a differance!!! as for the carb, i never touched it. i have full pull from the hole, and no sign of missing, spuddering, lagging, or anything to make me think of adjusting it.
elrancho, the only problem with the tape is, i am always into the ****, lol. if i had to tape to cover up holes while in the deep stuff, i would never uncover them, lmao!!! if that is the case, then am i better off not jetting it and adding a k&n filter? thanks for the replys!!!

my pictures

Old 05-28-2002, 06:56 PM
Trailblazer

I just put the Pro-flow filter On my Grizz Friday. That in it self made allot of difference. Not so much top end, But at take off. I had to modify the mounting bracket Just a little, but it sealed up nice. They don't make one for the Grizz yet, I got one for a wolverine, and modified it. It makes a tight seal to the air box, so no dust gets into the carb.
How loud is the exhaust? I really would like to do that, But I do not whant to get any louder. Maybe just increasing the output to 1 3/4" would give me something. Michgrizz, If you can get away, get up to the U.P., and do some riding with us. Had a great ride this weekend.

2002 Grizz
2500 Warn Winch
27" ITP 589's

Old 05-28-2002, 07:24 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Jetting isn't that big of an issue, sometimes. It is not at all hard to change jets its only about four screws once you reach the carb and then unscrew the jet. Getting it right can be the tricky part. If you are using a K&N or Dynojet kit they come with instructions on what jets to use out of the kit according to your elevation, filter, and pipe. Everyone has a different opinon on jetting. Do a search on it in the Yamaha forum, you will probably come up with more than you want to read. Don't let it scare you. Get on Trinity's web site to learn how to read a plug and then try it. It is all trail and error.

On your first question, you don't have to do anything to the box if you don't like. I am not familar with the new Griz but look in the snorkel and see if there are any flaps in it blocking air flow. If they are in there cut them out. This will let more air in with out the threat of a lower hole for water to get in, if water has gotten that far your in trouble anyway.

Hope this help. If you have ?'s PM me and I'll try to help.