Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

ultimate 2wd mud machine

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2000 | 10:40 PM
|
Weekend Warrior

this is my first time posting so take it easy on me. i have a 2000 big bear 400. i bought a 4x2 because i hadn't planned on too much mud riding. recently though, i have been riding at a friends farm in some pretty muddy conditions. the man who owns the 2500 acre farm is very wealthy and owns 8 honda 4x4s of different sizes. i havent had a whole lot of trouble in the mud yet but i know a big hole will get me soon. i have actually gotten through a creek that stuck a 300 4x4 the same day. if i hit the mud with momentum i can usually make it through in 2nd or 3rd gear with some pretty high rpms.
the owners of the farm have been impressed with mine and my dads quads (prarie 300 4x2) so far, but i want my big bear to be better.
i was thinking of replacing the tires with blackwater 26x8x12 fronts and 26x12x12 rears. does my big bear have the power to turn the bigger tires without a noticeable loss in power. or should i stick to the stock size. if it has the power to turn them, then it should actually increase my top speed, correct? also will the 26's fit without rubbing.
i also am planning on getting a winch, so i figure this will get me out when the rpms and blackwaters won't.
i'm just trying to make the bear the best i can in the mud and keep its normal manners on hard packed trails. any other suggestions would be of great interest.

p.s. dont tell me to get a 4x4, im sticking with what ive got. until i save the money for the Grizzly at least.

Old 03-07-2000 | 09:35 AM
Weekend Warrior

Hey ive got the same thing bigbear 400 2wd... and ive gotten stuck 4-5 times,lol...but tht doesnt matter to me...im also thinkin of getttin a winch since i dont have 4+4 also...

Old 03-07-2000 | 10:13 AM
Pro Rider

KYLE,I understand your problem,and respectfully intend to help.The Blackwater tires are certainly NOT your best mudding tire.Could I suggest that you either go with Super Swamper Vampires [1800-6990947] or the GoodYear Muddrunners [1800-2239919]I have the Muddrunners on my 99 Sportsman 4x4.AWESUME mudders.My bro John has the Vampires on his 97 King Quad 4x4,equally AWESUME.I feel that the Mudrunners offer a little better ride on hard packed surfaces.Also,the Mudrunners are less expensive at the above mentioned # numbers.Size?With only a 400cc engine,you are really asking alot out of the engine to turn them larger[higher] tires.If you go bigger on a 400cc engine,go wider,not higher.You will not be working the engine nearly as hard.I wish you the best,====BILL

Old 03-07-2000 | 11:41 AM
Pro Rider

A 400 2wd has lots of power to turn any wheels you chose . I like the black water tires because they are long lasting and not bad riding for general trail riding where as Vap are specialty tire for mud running.But don't wast money on the front tires they only steer you and it would not matter if they are bald.If you are doing good now you will be amazed when you get your new tires on the back even if you don't change the size.

Old 03-07-2000 | 06:34 PM
|
Weekend Warrior

bill, thanks for the input. but would the vamps or the mudrunners give me as good of a ride, last as long, or be as good on hard packed trails as the blackwaters. i want a tire that is fairly good in the mud, but i only spend 20-25% of my riding time in places where the stock tires don't do well. i really want a good all around tire that isn't a wimp in the mud. i worry about the vamps being good in anything but the most challenging terrain.
as for the size of the tires, remember im only turning two and not four. Also the 26s are only an inch taller than the stock 25s i have now, and i have heard that blackwaters run small. any opinions are appreciated.

Old 03-07-2000 | 10:40 PM
Pro Rider

Kyle,the Mud Runners are a very agressive mud tire.Dont let the mudding ability of this tire fool you.This is a VERY good riding tire to,even on hardpack.I've heard others talk about how much better their 4x4 steered with these tires.Good point you make,since you wont be turning any front tires with power to them,[no 4x4]it will be ok to go with the 26s in the rear.I have 1300 miles on the Sportsman with the Mud Runners,and I'd say they wore MAYBE only an eigth inch of tread off.I just am not a fan of Blackwaters.They are a good ''All Purpose'' tire though.Good Luck on your tires,===BILL

Old 03-08-2000 | 10:21 AM
Pro Rider

Hi kyle,
I strongly recomend the Bear Claw Tires, they are 4ply and are a mud tire that ride nice on hard pack also. I have and issue dirtwheels and in there mud tire shootout they came in 3rd against vampires, they beet out the blackwaters. I had some on my old big bear 4*4 and they were amazing and when in the mud they cleaned well. They are also the best price.
I plan on getting them when my 2000 grizzly needs for tires, which i don't think will need some for awhile. The back might wear off fast, just touching the throttle makes the tires want to spin.