Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

My Raptor feels a little Tippy, is that normal?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2002, 01:57 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello everyone. My Raptor feels tippy to me is that normal or do i need to change some things. Does anyone have any suggestions on tires or tire pressure. I dont want to spend a bunch of money if i can help it. Any ideas on setting up the shocks, I like to jump to.

Thanks a bunch

Old 05-30-2002, 02:36 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Put a wider axle on. I like the stock tires but they have a "grippy" side bite. Changing tires will allow the back to slide better with the stock axle.

Old 05-30-2002, 11:26 AM
Pro Rider

Put a wider axle on. Put a wider axle on. Put a wider axle on.
Once the rear is widened, problem solved. Widening the front is cool too, but a bunch more dough. With the rear widened you can live with the stock front width no problem. Wheel spacers or offset rims in front screw up the steering geometry. Wheel spacers in back are okay if you don't jump...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 05-30-2002, 02:18 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

anyone tried reversing the front wheels ona Raptor?

Old 05-30-2002, 02:25 PM
Pro Rider

Hmm this is the FIRST time I ever heard of a newbie saying a raptor was tippy.

Old 05-30-2002, 05:43 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks, Do you have any suggestions on a rear axle without killin my wallet. And how wide should i go? Should i stiffin the front shocks to help with the roll felling i get, if so how much and how do i do it.

Thanks Dude.

Old 05-30-2002, 06:51 PM
Range Rover

You can try wheel spacers. If you reverse the front wheels the valve stem hits the caliper. If I had some cheap rims I would like to weld the stock valve hole closed and place it on the other side(reversing the rim). This makes it about 2" wider each. Just an idea. Anyone want to donate a couple of rims[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 05-31-2002, 12:18 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Wheel spacers are the ticket for us poor folk. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] My 1" offset front rims widened my front to 47 1/2". I've had no ill affect in handling because of it. I jump some, 3-4' off the ground 10-20' long and have had no problems with my rear axle.

Old 05-31-2002, 03:07 AM
The Facility

Radman,

You can reverse your wheels without permanently fixing them in the reverse mode.

Drill another hole on the other side of your wheels for a new valve stem. Install valve stem correctly as you would on any wheel. At this point you have two valve stems sticking out of the wheels. One on each side.

Remove the valve stem on the other side [stock location] and put a NEW valve stem in upside down. This will leave the long part pointing inside of the tire. Then take a dremel tool or small grinder and grind away just over an 1/8" from the valve stem butt that now sticks outside of the wheel. Put it back on the hub and tighten it down. Look behind the wheel. It should now clear your brake caliper. If not, grind away a bit more from the stem butt.

It may sound like something thrown together, but by doing this, if you ever want to go back to stock offset in the future, you just swap locations of the valve stems.

Old 05-31-2002, 07:34 PM
Range Rover

Oh great now you've gone and blown it for me, now nobody is going to donate 2 rims for my test!
I guess I'll go and buy some valve stems.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

KNOWSALOT, do you think the valve holes should be 180 deg's on the other side to help with the balance of the rim. Or it won't matter? (you know one on the inside and one on the outside, one on the top and one on the bottom)

Quick Reply: My Raptor feels a little Tippy, is that normal?