Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Torn inner cv boot on 02 grizzly agian again again.....

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2002, 03:04 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My buddy tore his inner cv boot again, this is his third time. He has a lift on it and has Highlifter cv guards on it also. It rips at the rib closes to the diff. I think it has to do with the Lift. has anyone eles had this problem? He likes the lift cause it stiffen his front end up. He don't like it to sage when he puts on the brakes. With the lift its stiff. Any repleys would be helpful.

Old 05-30-2002, 05:11 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

I wouldn't doubt the lift having a lot to do with it. I had a cv on my Arctic cat tear up. Ripped the boot from the inside out and I have not doubt it was because of the stress added by the lift kit. No way I would lift a quad again.

Old 05-31-2002, 07:29 AM
Pro Rider

With all the peep's that i ride with that own griz...i have never heard anyone ripp'n the cv boot.

All i can think of is that the lift is causing it.

sorry.

Jonathan

Old 05-31-2002, 09:20 AM
Trailblazer

The right rear inner c/v boot by the diff. on my new 02 Grizzly ripped,, had about 150 miles on it at the time.. Had stock tires on it at the time...A stick may have poked it ?? I found that Advanced auto parts sells car halfshaft "split" boots that fit perfectly over the stock boots for added protection..I also put zip-ties around the new boot and in the ribs to keep it from coming apart ans applied black oil pan silicone to the seam to watertighten it..I am putting them over all 8 boots,, they are a lot tougher than yamaha boots..I also have aluminum c/v guards but when U go in deep mud/waterholes rocks and sticks settle on the bottom of them right under the c/v boots and hitting a bump can send that debris up and into the axles..

Old 05-31-2002, 02:22 PM
Trailblazer

I agree – Most likely the added angle is stretching the boot. The OEM is to thin and expensive ($50 per boot kit). An Automotive boot is so much thicker ($12 per boot kit). I haven’t been able to find a automotive replacement boot and I have done a lot of looking. The closest I came is a 83 Honda Civic inner boot. Still a little large – about 10mm. I am going to try a shrink it with a heat gun.

Old 05-31-2002, 07:34 PM
Pro Rider

What's the part number of those split boots that Advanced Auto parts sells? I might try that myself. Sagebrush is really tough on CV boots.

Old 06-01-2002, 03:01 AM
Pro Rider

My friend bought another Yamaha boot and I put it on. While I was changing it I noticed that the brake line was rubbing the boots on both sides! I put A zip tie on the lines to hold them up and will see what happens.

Old 06-01-2002, 10:47 AM
Pro Rider

I tore both my front outboard cv boots on my 650 due to some really nasty mud with long beargrass in it. The grass was wound so tight around the front axles that my one front boot was twisted four times. I replaced the boots with stock replacement boots, no problem. Anyways, I was on these forums and was informed by somebody that they make a Kevlar cv boot cover. Too bad they don't make Kevlar cv boots!! I don't know who makes them, but they are out there.

Old 06-01-2002, 10:37 PM
Pro Rider

Yamaha make the kevlar cv boot covers, my buddy has some on order.

Old 06-01-2002, 11:39 PM
Pro Rider

Alittle tid bit since I just put a boot on my grizz this weekend (probably torn form the Aarm guard itself deflecting into the boot,) old honda 300 CV boots fit fine and are more readily available than yami's.

Quick Reply: Torn inner cv boot on 02 grizzly agian again again.....