Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

'01 Raptor Trannie

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2002, 07:58 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

RaptorRRc my vin number was 6152 and I lost third gear......

Old 06-03-2002, 09:53 PM
Pro Rider

Mine vin # is 5470 and lost 2nd gear a few week ago as I mention it earlier on this issue.

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img]

Old 06-05-2002, 05:41 PM
Pro Rider

I talked to Jm Moore today at Yam/USA and got nowhere. He says they are seeing a 3% failure rate on 01 Raptor Trannys but would not tell me what number the 3% came from (confidential)LOL. Jim also says that the cause of 2nd gear problems is improper clutch adjustment or other rider error. The only way they would be able to talk about problems is if you have a dealer tear it down and get advice from Yamaha Technical support to determine wether it would be taken care of under some kind of warranty or goodwill type of settlement. My dealer wants $60.00/hr just to tear it down and they admitt that they do not have a mechanic that has knowledge of the transmission. I do like the dealers honesty and genneraly they do take good care of me. Looks like I will just fix it myself when the time comes and move on. I hate doing this because it just plays in to Yamaha's way of thinking that people will give up fighting. I like the Raptor and in 18 months this is the first problem I have had. Fortin gears looks good right now because if I want the 02 gearing all I need to do is run a 12/42 sprocket setup. It will have less top end speed but when you gear down for that type of riding where do you need the top end speed anyway?

Old 06-05-2002, 07:35 PM
Pro Rider

Just how the hell Jm Moore from Yamaha/USA know it rider error or clutch adjustment being improper! So tell me why Yamaha went to upgrade 02 tranny over 01 tranny, which tell me they knew the problem from the begining. so where they get 3% failure rate hogwash my ****!! more like 25% or better in my opinion!

Mine bike seen lot of desert racing, over 1,000 miles hard racing plus dune riding no problem there till this year. Then it start to let go......

So far I am concern Yamaha ought to warranty the work in order to keep the customer happy.
I know how business run since I own my business too.

Old 06-05-2002, 08:05 PM
Pro Rider

Insane rider and Raptor rrc

This is a very old topic, but for some, it seems to be news!

My vin# is 2454 and my tranny went out well over a year ago. I had only had it for 7 months and yes it was 1 month out of warranty (maybe 250 hours). If you go back with a thorough serch, you will find that I was one of the very early individuals to say anything about a tranny failure on this forum.

I too was told the same thing as you are being told, about, Yamaha cust svc saying you need to take it to your dealer and they will speak with us, re: how and if we can help you. It's surprising that they are even admitting to the problem now. For a year they would say "we haven't heard of any problems, must be isolated". Yea righT!!!

You need to find a dealer who has worked on a Raptor tranny, one that has seen the problems and one that will do what ever it takes to help you, the customer. I was very fortunate. At first the mechanic at a dealer nearby, told me, all we can do is tear it down and go from there, but they had seen 2 prior to me. He called 2 days later "yea second gear blew up and destroyed most all of your tranny, I'll call Yamaha to see what they will cover". Needless to say, he called and said, "they (Yamaha) will "goodwill" that parts but, you will have to pay the labor". I asked for his opnion on rider error and such and he seemed to think it was a part defect. Keep in mind, the guy working on my bike is the "Head Mechanic" at this dealer and already seen to 2 other failures. Finally, I convinced him to see what he could do for me (exhaust all avenues). He did, and got it all taken care of for "NO COST".

Also, BE AWARE, if your tranny "locks up" it puts alot of stress on the connecting rod. I had my rod fail about 6 months after the tranny was fixed, probably no help that I had a 686 kit installed the time the tranny was replaced, but none the less. NO, Yamaha wouldn't cover the rod failure. Which caused more damage then the tranny failure, it wasn't pretty!

Point is, don't give up, and try to call a few dealers to find one that has seen, first hand the issues these "poor excuse of a tranny" Yamaha has designed!

Again, if you do a search you will find lots and lots of Raptor owners who have had "Failed trannies". Guys have tries to find a rhyme and or reason, with vin#'s mods, regions from where they are, etc. Shoot, you might even find someone in "you neck of the woods" that had a dealer cover it for them (you could then go that dealer). Who knows, it's your call as to, if it's worth the grand or more you'll pay to say screw it!

I for one, will never ever buy a Yamaha product again! As of right now though, I have way too much invested to sell it.

Good luck!

Old 06-05-2002, 08:07 PM
Pro Rider

Jim Moore never made any decision about my quad. He told me to take it in. Once I took it in and told my dealer who I talked w/ and the phone number they said Yamaha is real good to people who have made an inquire about most problems. They will Goodwill it. Jim Moore never ever admitted to me there was a problem. Go to the best dealer you can find in your area for service. A dealer that does big volume. Thats what I did. I did not go to the dealer I bought it from. I had an answer the day after it was torn down from my dealer. Hell send your motor to the dealer I stated earlier. Just remember 3.5 hours total labor, anything else is and they're taking you..... Good Luck...If you admit any type of racing or abuse you're done..... My Raptor is just one of those 37 previous rides. Can't keep what you can't trust!

Old 06-05-2002, 08:11 PM
Pro Rider

Go here and file a report so the numbers will add up. Explain your problem with the Raptor tranny and the safety hazard part of it if you think there is a hazard. This is the Consumer Prduct Safety Commission, part of the US government that monitors products and manufactures for issues. If they get enough people providing complaints and facts theY will take on Yamaha and see if a recall shOuld be made and if so order Yamaha to do so. The phone number is (800) 683-2772
Here is the web site, just follow the directions at the hot link that says FOR CONSUMERS:.....Report.... an injury,death or unsafe product to us. Fill out the form then submit it and from what I have been told they will get back to you.
http://www.cpsc.gov/talk.html

AT THIS POINT WHATS TO LOSE?

Old 06-05-2002, 08:22 PM
Pro Rider

SWYTAK, I well remember everbody tat was posting last year and everysince then. At the time I still had not had a failure and was allready 3 deep in 01's. I plan on checking other dealers in my area to see what they say. I have a problem with taking in to any dealer and have to pay for the tear down to varify what is obvious and have a 50/50 chance of Yamaha backing it up.

Sandgod, my information from Jim Moore was 3 percent not 37.

Old 06-05-2002, 08:28 PM
Pro Rider

RRC<

I hear ya. It sucks to think that all you have is a 50/50 chance of getting it fixed.

Ha, I am having a 720 kit installed in mine as we speak (because of the rod failure to the 686) and I just dropped another $400 for the 02 set-up. I am just too scared to keep the second 01 tranny in there after all the BS I've already gone through!

Old 06-05-2002, 09:25 PM
Range Rover

RaptorRRC, you have 3 Raptors? Did you buy them all new? From the same dealer? If this is the case you think that as a return customer (3x) they would want to keep you happy and go to bat for you. That 3.5 hrs of labor does that include removing the engine from the bike? Or can you just take them the engine? I don't see why they want a dealer to take apart the tranny for no other reason than to get your money. You should see how much they will charge you if you get it to the point where the next step would be pulling the tranny's gears. They can't charge you for something they didn't do. This way they can see the damage and then go to Yamaha for you for the "good will thing". This way if they win for you reward them by getting them to rebuild the tranny. It's like meeting them half way, pay for a little labor and no parts. It's got too cheaper than paying for no labor and all the parts.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: '01 Raptor Trannie