Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

raptor reverse rev limiter

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2002, 03:54 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have seen on ebay a reverse rev-limiter bypass switch. i understand how it works and why ypu would want it. i am also wondering if anyone has a way to completly remove the limiter without this switch possibly by connecting or disconnection jumper wires? and why did yamaha even put this limiter on? any suggestion on steering stems? lonestar makes a nice one but maybe something a little cheaper but better than stock.

Old 05-31-2002, 09:34 AM
Pro Rider

IT is possible to get rid of the limiter permanently but then you have no reverse light. Also if you ever let anyone ride your bike it is dangerous. I purchased one of those kits off of ebay and it is a great deal. It is nice to beable to turn it off and on since it goes so fast in reverse. You can bypass it but i would recommend the kit for safety reasons. I think it was well worth the $20.

Old 05-31-2002, 04:01 PM
Weekend Warrior

murry660r-don't waste you money on one of those ebay kits. i've seen one of them and its not worth $20. the kit contains a non-water or weather proof $1.95 momemtary PB, $.05 of wire and one of those cheesie pinch type splice/butt connectors plus directions on how to do the bypass. Take a good look at some pics of them, you see what a mean. This is what I would do:

-Buy a switch at any automotive store or Rat Shack. I'd try to get a water tight one.
-Get some heat shrink, that way you can solder the switch in and not worry about rotting out harness from the cheap connector
-search for the instructions on how to wire the bypass. there are post all over the place on how to do it

From the electrical schamtics I've read on the Raptor I believe the reverse light is not going to work no matter however you do it beacuse it's the CDI that sends the on/off signal to the light via the reverse switch. All your doing when you bypass the switch is grounding it out which in turn tells the CDI that your not in R when the switch is closed. If the CDI does not know your in R it will not tell the R light to come on.

If you can't find the instructions PM me and I'll tell you.

BE VERY CAREFUL RIDING IN REVERSE WITH IT BYPASSED! Raptors reverse is geared between 1st and 2nds ratio. I can't remember the exact ratio but its way too high for reverse. you can go 25mph backwards, pretty scary....but fun

One other thing, the intructions that I read from one of those ebay kits had the address Medford,WI on it..
hhhummmmm...mtecate4g is from the same town and he thinks the kit is a great deal. You do the rest of math