Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

2002 GRIZZLY HEADLIGHTS

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2002, 07:35 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I never would have believed it if I hadn't seen it with my own eyes! I've been up in Fairbanks for a month or so, and recently had the pleasure of going caribou hunting...Grizzly style! What a machine! My contact/friend at the base I'm working owns two and we we're north of Fairbanks about 100 miles out last Saturday night. Anyway, it was about 1130 at night and we were way back in the middle of BFA when the lights went out...he was leading our way...we figured a blown fuse but that wasn't it...both bulbs poped right out of the sockets. Probably not at the same time but we didn't notice when the first one went out, so...it looks like the headlight will have to be removed to get the bulb back into place..."MadmanMatoon", my buddy was not a happy camper at this point...he's gonna let the dealership take care of it so Yamaha will have on their records this design flaw. You guys that haven't had this problem--I wonder if you have a different design. Both his quads are '02 models...this is pretty minor I know...the Griz is an awesome machine! Just to document another minor problem...we ran into a problem with the rear rack. Ted had a five gal. fuel jug on the back, rigged up with brackets and all bought from the dealer...anyway, after 60 miles of carring the jug it broke two of the welds on the rear rack...it's aluminum and WEAK! The dealership where he bought both his quads offered a new rack at cost ($140). I had a great time and when I buy a ute it'll definately be a Grizzly...

later,

Jim

Old 08-13-2002, 09:58 PM
Trailblazer

I have heard of this happening before. It had something to do with a bad batch of bulbs or sockets.....some lame excuse from Yamaha.

I have never had it happen to me, and after 1600 hard miles I think I am in the clear now.

Steve

Old 10-09-2006, 06:02 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default 2002 GRIZZLY HEADLIGHTS

I bought a used '02 Grizzly 660 a few months ago. Both headlight bulbs desoldered yesterday and I just got done removing the headlights (NOT a fun job) and digging the bulbs out. Found the new part numbers and will order those. Griz is used on a ranch and gets 20-100 miles every day it's ridden which is 2-5 times a week. I like the bike a lot but besides the headlight issue, it also burns oil. I'm putting probably 1/8 quart in every tank of gas. Bike has 4,000 miles on it- might overhaul the engine this winter to see what I can do about the oil (which also turns black very quickly).

Old 10-09-2006, 11:03 PM
Trailblazer

I had both of my headlights come unsoldered and fall out at the same time. It was right after I had worked my way down a difficult steep and very rocky hill at about midnight in the mountains of West Virginia. I was with a crew of three other quads and I was leading.

If those lights had fallen out about 2 minutes earlier I probably wouldn't be here to type this message. Yamaha really needs to get this taken care of before someone gets seriously hurt. Mine is an 05 with 2000 miles. I am thinking about getting some aftermarket lights to mount to my front bumper to serve as backups in case this ever happens again.

I noticed someone said they resoldered the bulbs. I did the same thing. If you do that be sure to clean the bulb really good with some degreaser before putting them back in and do not touch the glass part of the bulb after cleaning them.

The oil from your fingers will cause the bulbs to blow. I know it sounds crazy but I had this issue with some fog lamps on a car I used to own. They would blow out a few weeks after I replaced them. I found out about this issue and the next time I replaced them I wore gloves. After that they worked until I sold the car.

Old 10-10-2006, 09:10 PM
Pro Rider

My '03 Kodiak did the same thing, bulbs fell out, so I soldered them like others said, and have not had a problem since, this was over a year ago.

Old 10-10-2006, 11:23 PM
Trailblazer

MX660R what is the different setup you are using to run High and Low at the same time?