Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

99 Wolverine Axle. NEED HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2000, 01:39 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First of all I want to think all that have helped me. Finally, Yamaha is going to send me an axle free of charge not warrantied but as a good will gesture. I will have to pay the dealer to install it, but I have heard some of you guys say that it is really simple to do. So now I am asking for your help and guidance on the install. What kind of tools do I need, anything I need to look for while doing it, any problems I might have?

Old 03-08-2000, 03:05 PM
Range Rover

It is quite easy to do with very little tools required. Block the rearend up in the air and remove both rear wheels. Remove the rear brake caliper by removing the two 12mm bolts securing it to the bracket.Let the caliper hand from its line be careful not to kink the brake line. You can tie it to something with a piece of wire if it makes you feel safer. Then remove the right rear centre cap by pulling it off with your hands. You may have to pry it off with a lever or an ols screwdriver. Then remove the right rear cotter pin and centre hub nut. then slide the brake disc off the axle. Then take a block of wood and put it on the right end of the axle. Give it a couple of good hits with a hammer and the axle should slide out of the left side of the bike. Reassemble in reverse order. Make sure to grease the large spline in the centre of the axle before reassembly. It helps with wear on the spline. Also grease the hub before reassembly too. Make sure you get the hub bolt real tight when you put it back on. You may want to get a torque wrench and torque it to the proper setting . The dealer can tell you the torque on it. All in all it is quite easy to do.You should be able to do it in less than half an hour.

Old 03-09-2000, 12:59 AM
Trailblazer

Any type of mechanical knowledge and you can do it.

If you can change oil, you can definately change the axle.

Good Luck, :P

B.T.W. If it was me, and it's not! Sell the new "Yamaha" axle while it is still straight:O and put that towards a new Durablue. Unless of course you can tell if it has been re-designed or fattened up on the leveraged end.

I absolutely did nothing but ride in the woods for 3 hrs., jumped minimal, and bent the darn thing.