Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Need Help With Banshee

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2002, 10:40 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok hopefully somebody can help me out. When I'm running my Banshee low to upper mid rpm's it runs just like a Banshee should. When I get into the really high rpm's it cuts out on me like it wants to stall, then takes a power surge, then cuts out again.....and so on. Somebody mentioned to me that the plugs might need changed. I didn't change the plugs, but when the 'shee is running, I get a shock if I touch the plug wires (not very pleasant). Just wondering if this could be my problem with the bike cutting out on me. Also the wire from the throttle assembly for the TORS was cut when I bought the machine. Besides the cutting out problem the bike runs totally awesome, until you wind it completely out, then it starts "stuttering" on me. Thank you in advance everybody, your help is greatly appreciated.

Old 06-07-2002, 10:54 PM
Pro Rider

Sounds like when they took the tors out they didnt re wire it correctly. There is a way to connect the wires back togther but i cant remember the combination. Also if your getting a shock from your plug wires you probably need new ones. You should be able to grab them while its running without them shocking you.

Old 06-08-2002, 11:19 AM
Pro Rider

If it will rev faster than a fast idle then it is NOT a TORS problem; TORS cuts it of at around 2000 RPM max.

If you suspect a problem with your plug wires do this; preferably in the dark. Start the machine give it a little gas; 3000 RPM maybe and spray around the area with a water bottle; not a stream of water but a mist. If it starts arcing and cutting out you have bad plug wires.

Remember to check out your spark plug caps too; wire in good, nothing rattling, gripping the plugs OK. You should throw in some new plugs too since you should have a spare set anyway - B8ES is what it uses.

BTW, what year is it?

Now, it's possible it's a jetting problem; if so it sounds REAL lean on top. What are your mods? Did it just start doing this or after you changed something? What are your jet sizes? What is your elevation? Any thing else we should know to be able to help out?

Old 06-08-2002, 12:00 PM
Range Rover

Its a 1999 and the only mods to it are a K&N air filter. It has B8ES plugs in it and all, and I did notice that one of the plug caps rattled a little bit when I had the plugs out. I'm not too far off of sea level, (probably not even near 1000') and the jetting is still stock. The plugs seem to be burning nicely though, not too lean or rich. Just as you said, I believe I need new plug wires and caps because I shouldn't get shocked. Also, I don't think it is a TORS problem because it will rev like crazy. Oh yes, I should also mention that it doesn't do this ALL the time. Once in a while it will run very good wide open, but the next time I open it up, it spits and sputters on me.

Thank You again guys, I really appreciate your help.

Old 06-08-2002, 06:36 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

MAke sure your harness has not been cut into and grounding out on the frame. Check your harness, especially around your air-box.

RoostKing...

Old 06-08-2002, 08:22 PM
Pro Rider

bigred, I rememebr reading about somebody with rattling spark plug caps. Apparently there is some type of spring in there to keep the plug wire in contact with the clip that goes on the plug. Sounds like this might be a good area to investigate. Also, while you're digging around you should do like Roostking said and check your harnesses and wiring in general for anything that may have rubbed through and coming in contact with the frame.

You just bought this right? It's probably wise to go through the whole machine - check bolts, wiring, air filter, clutch/throttle cables etc to avoid any more surprises.

Old 06-09-2002, 07:33 AM
Range Rover

Thanks Guys, will do. I got new plug wires for it anyway. I noticed that when I washed it, it was hard to start afterwards. I actually went all over the machine with the guy I got it from before I even bought it (I've known him for quite a while).
One of my friends came up yesterday and I let him take the 'shee for a little drive in my yard. He was grinning from ear to ear when he got off the machine [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img].

Old 06-09-2002, 11:01 AM
Pro Rider

You'll be ready to roll in no time. Let us know what you find out.

Old 06-16-2002, 09:51 AM
Range Rover

Sorry for being so long to reply back, I've been busy driving my Banshee! I changed the plug caps on the machine and now it revs and revs and revs some more without missing. Once again guys, thank you very very much for your input. Time to go play on my toy!