Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Bogus Company, SuperiorTrails, Beware!

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2002, 12:28 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's some info I just received from our United 4WD Associations attorney here in Oregon (Carla Boucher). Thought I'd pass it on to everyone.

"Make sure all your friends who ride know that this isn't a good deal!

Subject: Use caution with new group

A company or program called Superior Trails is developing a permit scheme for all federal lands. The company is hoping to get federal authorization to institute a mandatory permit costing $35.00 as a requirement for all OHV travel on federally-managed lands. The permit would be required before any person may travel on federal land using four wheel drives, ATVs, or motorcycles. In order to obtain a permit a user would be required to take a test and pass it pertaining to appropriate mechanical requirements and user ethics. Test taking stations would be available at merchants such as auto dealers, parts places, and 4x4 shops.

In addition to the permit, the company would institute its own law enforcement regulations. Fines for violations of the regulations are ranging from $900 to $1000 per violation.

I have been discussing the program with one of the partners of the company and trying to explain to them the problems associated with this system. He has recently informed me that he intends to poll four wheel drive clubs to see whether they support the development of such a system.

One of the initial problems I have with this concept (and I have many problems with it right now) is that their website is currently set up to allow a user to take the test and if they pass, collect their $35.00 for a permit. The website can be viewed at www.superiortrail.com . However, until the program is approved legislatively through Congress the money you spend on a permit gets you nothing. Also, the website has Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) but it fails to plainly state that this program would REQUIRE every motorized user to have one of their permits to recreate on federal lands and it fails to indicate that a permit paid for now means nothing and the money the user spends to get the permit ($35.00) gets them nothing, it simply lines the pocket of the company developing the program. In short, I have strongly indicated to these people my problems with their idea.

My concern is that your member clubs will only get a part of the story when they are polled for their reaction. Please advise them to proceed cautiously with this company and their program and to ask a lot of questions if they are polled before taking a position on whether to support this program.

Thanks for taking the time to pass this information on to all your members.

Carla Boucher"
Pam

Old 06-13-2002, 12:41 AM
Pro Rider

I sure don't like it at all and where does the money got to. I bet it all profit for the company while the riders get nip nada and rip off.

Especially where all the taxes money going to? even though the land already paid for.....

Old 06-13-2002, 03:31 PM
Pro Rider

Good work Pam!! It is exactly what you say...a "scheme"!

I am sure this group plans to profit nicely from this "scheme"

Blue Ribbon and ASA etc. need to be aware of these jokers.

More government = less freedoms.

next they will set up a plan to regulate emissions....how about $50 (payable to Superior Trials of course) for a smog check on your bike every year and if your bike doesn't pass you get fined $1000!!!

In CA we have the green sticker program and adventure pass already!!

Give an inch and we lose a mile.

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img]

Old 06-13-2002, 10:52 PM
Pro Rider

Blue Ribbon and some of the agencies listed are working to get the site booted off the internet.

Hopefully, we'll get the word out fast enough that no one will fall for this!