Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Raptor VS DS650

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2002, 01:05 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Scottd~
The stock Banshee was slightly slower than my DS on gravel that was whooped out. The piped/jetted Banshee was slightly slower than my endcapped/jetted DS on pavement. These were 2 different Banshees that I raced. One may have been jetted better than the other. One may have had a better break in period than the other. The race surfaces were different. Even the temperature was different. There were many factors that could have contributed to the results. That's why I stated at the very beginning: For what it's worth.

Also, I remember just a little while ago one of the magazines did dyno runs of many different Banshee pipes. I am pretty sure the best pipe added about 5 hp on top end. It may have added 10 hp at one point through the power curve, but certainly not on peak power. Are you saying there is a Banshee pipe that will add about 10 hp on top end? Better reveal the secret to the world!

Just like you, I am not badmouthing the Banshee. It is a wicked machine with a thrilling ride! I could have got one instead of the DS650, but I just didn't want to deal with the pre-mix fuel, kick start, or top end maintainance. I also do not like the Banshee's suspension or the fact that many things on the Banshee come in TWO's.

Old 06-18-2002, 02:22 AM
Trailblazer

i raced a stock ds650 against my stock 02 raptor
both on sand skate 2 paddles up sand mount & i beat him numerous times by 3-4 bikes

Old 06-18-2002, 08:40 AM
Pro Rider

The answer is - Stock for stock, the DS has a slightly higher top speed.
Raptor has more torque, so is off the mark quicker.

Mods is a different story with an easy answer. The bike that is modded out more will win....simple as that.

Old 06-18-2002, 10:12 AM
Pro Rider

I've raced dozens of piped DS's and Banshee's with my piped Raptor on OLDS hill at Glamis. All 3 bikes are pretty close. It usually comes down to the holeshot.

Old 06-18-2002, 11:42 AM
Range Rover

(I'm gonna get buchu flamed here)
But I raced my buddies new DS650 (had maybe 20 miles on it when he bought it) with my 86 ATC 250R, with a 1 tooth smaller front sprocket, and 1 tooth larger rear. Top speed was flippin identical. Absolutely could not gain 1/1000 of a MPH on him, nor him on me. We could have ridden wide open till we ran out of gas and we would have been dead even. It was amazing.
And my R is pretty beat up. Ran her pretty hard the last couple of years.
Now, in all honesty, I'm surprised how fast the DS was, and yes, if he didn't have the rev limiter, he would've been able to beat me. I don't doubt that at all.
I guess I posted this just cause after reading all these posts about how close the Shee, Raptor and DS are in drag races, it made me feel good that my $850 3 wheeler (all I can afford now) can hang with da boys. Now, a top end rebuild, pipe, v force reeds, and return my stock sprockets, and well, I'll end up wrapped around a tree somewhere off a trail. (But i'll have a smile on my face when they find me!)[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

So.....my point....don't have one. Let the flaming begin.......

Old 06-18-2002, 03:48 PM
Pro Rider

<< The answer is - Stock for stock, the DS has a slightly higher top speed.
Raptor has more torque, so is off the mark quicker.

Mods is a different story with an easy answer. The bike that is modded out more will win....simple as that.
>>

It is all about who has the most mods win. In theory the Raptor with it's displacement and weight advatages should smoke a DS but it doesn't. Whe mine was stock and My bro's Raptor had a slip on WB's can, He would take me every time but just barely. We were both very supprised by this. Now with my mods and his mods being about equal, I beat him pretty bad. I think my pipe VS his slip on is why though. I really like both quads and like his Raptor even more now that he has put on a wider axle, but not more thn my DS. Mod for mod though, NOTHING will touch a Shee!

Old 06-19-2002, 05:11 AM
Pro Rider

Its all about gearing. My brother-in-law has a stock DS. I have a Raptor with full Yoshi system. I have also widened it to have the same width as the DS. When we drag over 100 or 200m, I always win by a few bike lenghts. But if we keep running, the DS always starts to pull me in. I still beat him because of my mods.
He needs to add a CDI as well as a pipe and then we will be neck and neck. Then I can change the sprocket and he can change something else.....and so it goes on. At the end of the day the bikes we choose says something about our personalities, just like our cars. I personaly am not interested in who is fastest in a straight line. Im interested in who gets through the whoops, berms, table tops....the quickest.
I am obviously pro Raptor since I bought one. Lets face it, you are not going to spend all that cash on something that you are not crazy about. I ride the DS a lot and love it, but once you widen the raptor......Hmmmm....power WITH control! Nothing else comes close for me.

Old 06-19-2002, 10:14 AM
Trailblazer

That's exactly what I was thinking. I like to live a little close to the edge so I picked the DS. It's kind of like comparing a Buick Grand National(DS) and a Z-28(Raptor). Both are fast but the Z handles a little better but you don't see every other person with a DS. Myself I can't wait to someday get the Corvette of quads (Cannondale).

Old 06-19-2002, 10:42 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

I have an 02 Raptor with edge 8 paddles, dyno jet 160/165, R4 WB pipe and my buddy just purchased a DS baja , dyno jetted, front sprocket, Ron Woods CDI (Higher Rev Limiter), R4 pipe, edge 10 paddles and I beat him on the flat stretch at Pismo, but like people say if it were further he would have caught me but that strecth seems like a 1/4 of a mile and I love it. He is all ways trying to put mods on his bike to beat me. I start out in 2nd gear and never use my clutch and it makes a world of difference (but I didnt tell him that)

Old 06-19-2002, 10:52 AM
Pro Rider

Dude....thats great that you beat him, but if I where you, I would use that clutch....it is there for a reason. That is why the raptor looses its 2nd gear (tranny). It is not just an 01 issue....
The 02 has stronger gears, but wear and tear will eventually get you.

Quick Reply: Raptor VS DS650