Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Raptor VS DS650

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2002, 06:48 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does any one know which is faster the Raptor or the DS 650, I'm courious to know because the engine size is close 660 VS 650 and I have yet to race a 650 DS on my Banshee but would like to. Please don't FLAME this message I'm just trying to find out if anyone has raced one up comp hill or on flat ground.

Old 06-17-2002, 07:08 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

This might not say who which machine is faster but this is the way it happend to me. I went to LA Dunes and saw the first DS so I wanted to race bad. I had on Sand Shark he had on knobbies it was about50/50. He went and put on paddles, some kind of vee type, and its was about 60/40. So I decided, after a leaky tire, to put my knobbies back on and we raced again. To my suprise I won 75/25. I have now found out threw trail and error that I am faster on the stockers in a drag. Hope this helps a little. By the way mine was stock and he modded his end cap, but I don't know about jets or filters.

Old 06-17-2002, 07:52 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I raced a friends 01 Raptor against my 01 DS650. We raced on the street first to throw out wheelspin as a factor. First race he bogged bad so I stopped immediately and we lined up again. Then he got a great launch, but was still behind through every gear. The gap widened with every gear and halfway through 5th I looked back and guestimated 8-10 bike lengths. We tried multiple times with the same result. We also raced on some hard packed dirt but from a 2nd gear roll. It was pretty much the same result. His raptor is bone stock and I had the airbox removed with the stock filter and a slightly modded encap. I now have the end cap modified even better and have a UNi filter for it. I think with a pipe on the raptor it wouldve been a lot closer. I really liked the raptor a lot and we traded bikes throughout the day. Both bikes have some shortcomings but we both had a blast on both bikes. Thumbs up for both.

P.S. I really don't like hearignt eh 6,8,10 bike length deal. How accurate is that really. Drag racing with real numbers are a lot more accurate. I'm going to try and take my DS to the trackt his week for some real world results.

Old 06-17-2002, 08:07 PM
Elite Pro Rider

ah nevermind

Old 06-17-2002, 08:54 PM
Pro Rider

Yzfbansheeking.....Let me know next time you take a trip to florence! Ill bring my ds and we will do some racing up comp? Sounds like fun to me![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 06-17-2002, 11:10 PM
Range Rover

( Sand 45 ) I'll let you know man, it will be great, we'll have a blast I love ridding at the South Jetty. P.S Email me and well hook up, I pretty much go every weekend that's it's in the 70's or the sun is out.

YFZBansheeking@Aol.Com

Old 06-18-2002, 12:12 AM
Pro Rider

For what it's worth, here's my experiences with all kinds of machines:

My stock DS vs stock Raptor on pavement-DS got jump off the start. Raptor stayed close until 4th gear, then started falling. On top end, DS was at least 3 mph faster.

My DS w/modded endcap vs stock Raptor on pavement- DS got jump off the start and kept pulling ahead through the gears. Top end was still only about 3 mph faster due to the DS's stupid rev limiter.

My stock DS vs piped 400ex on pavement- DS jumped to the lead off the start and pulled ahead very quickly through the race. Top end had the DS atleast 5 mph faster.

My stock DS vs stock Banshee on hard packed gravel- Dead even on start and until 4th gear. DS slowly started to pull ahead until top end where it was maybe 2 mph faster. Gravel was very whooped out towards the end of the race and the DS's suspension definitely gave it an advantage.

My DS now has 22/23" razr's, modded endcap, jetted, and airbox lid removed.

My DS now vs piped/jetted 01' Banshee on pavement- Again, dead even on start and until 3rd gear. Once in 4th gear, DS very slowly pulled ahead and stayed about 1 length ahead until topping out where DS slowly continued to pull ahead. With 22/23" tires, the DS was topping out about 82 mph, still hitting the rev limiter.

My DS now vs stock Polaris Indy 500 on frozen field- DS had studded tires, Snowmobile had non-studded track. Fairly close for first 20 feet, then Indy 500 walked away and things just got worse for me as the race lengthened. BUT...on frozen lake, Both machines were about dead even on top end! Snowmobile still had the advantage by maybe 1 mph.

My DS now vs 95 Chevy cavalier 2 door in 1/4 mile- DS got BIG jump off the start, kept pulling ahead until about 65 mph, then Cavalier started gaining. DS still won in 1/4 mile by about 30 feet[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 06-18-2002, 12:33 AM
Pro Rider

<< For what it's worth, here's my experiences with all kinds of machines:

My stock DS vs stock Raptor on pavement-DS got jump off the start. Raptor stayed close until 4th gear, then started falling. On top end, DS was at least 3 mph faster.

My DS w/modded endcap vs stock Raptor on pavement- DS got jump off the start and kept pulling ahead through the gears. Top end was still only about 3 mph faster due to the DS's stupid rev limiter.

My stock DS vs piped 400ex on pavement- DS jumped to the lead off the start and pulled ahead very quickly through the race. Top end had the DS atleast 5 mph faster.

My stock DS vs stock Banshee on hard packed gravel- Dead even on start and until 4th gear. DS slowly started to pull ahead until top end where it was maybe 2 mph faster. Gravel was very whooped out towards the end of the race and the DS's suspension definitely gave it an advantage.

My DS now has 22/23&quot; razr's, modded endcap, jetted, and airbox lid removed.

My DS now vs piped/jetted 01' Banshee on pavement- Again, dead even on start and until 3rd gear. Once in 4th gear, DS very slowly pulled ahead and stayed about 1 length ahead until topping out where DS slowly continued to pull ahead. With 22/23&quot; tires, the DS was topping out about 82 mph, still hitting the rev limiter.

My DS now vs stock Polaris Indy 500 on frozen field- DS had studded tires, Snowmobile had non-studded track. Fairly close for first 20 feet, then Indy 500 walked away and things just got worse for me as the race lengthened. BUT...on frozen lake, Both machines were about dead even on top end! Snowmobile still had the advantage by maybe 1 mph.

My DS now vs 95 Chevy cavalier 2 door in 1/4 mile- DS got BIG jump off the start, kept pulling ahead until about 65 mph, then Cavalier started gaining. DS still won in 1/4 mile by about 30 feet[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
>>

Cool info ! have you raced a piped raptor yet, and what was the results?

Old 06-18-2002, 12:37 AM
Pro Rider

velocityraptor~
Sorry, I haven't found a piped Raptor on the trails yet. I've seen many on trailers, but none on the trail yet. One of my riding buddies has a 02' Raptor and should be geting a pipe very soon. I can't wait!!

Old 06-18-2002, 12:48 AM
Pro Rider

Doesn't seem like the piped and jetted Banshee was any faster than the stocker...what's up with that? If a stock Banshee was very close to your DS, then the piped machine should have killed it! Pipes and jetting (done correctly) are worth at LEAST 10 hp on a Banshee. I'm sorry, but a modded Banshee will lay to waste any fairly stock DS.(or Raptor for that matter) I either have owned them all, or have ridden each, and NONE of the above even approaches the &quot;pucker-factor&quot; of the Banshee. A well rounded machine it is not, but yes she's FAST in a straight line! No badmouthing of the DS here...I think that it's an OK quad also.

Quick Reply: Raptor VS DS650