Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

MY MX RAPTOR PICS

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2002, 01:33 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, gentlemen....i have finally found a place on the internet to post my pictures of my 2001 MX raptor....go to the addresses below and check out the two albums I created....Thanks goes out to THEMOOSE for showing me where I could post my pics for free.....take a look and tell me what ya think.........herbdon out.....

http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4291710605

http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4291711531

Old 06-19-2002, 11:56 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Nice pics. I like the ones where the bikes are all tore down. I'd never have the huevos to break things down that far. Good job. How does it run in the MX world? Win any events?

Old 06-20-2002, 12:26 AM
Pro Rider

nice looking raptor

Old 06-20-2002, 12:51 AM
Pro Rider

Very nice!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
I like how you split your albums in to before & after, I just threw all kinds of pics in one album! I may have to start over & split them up so you don't have to look at all 60 pics to see what you want.

How do you like the 690 kit? I'm thinking about a 690 from Sparks but I'm not going into my motor till I have to do a valve or ring job.

Do you havea Sony camera? I have a Sony DSC-S75 & it numbers the pics the same way.

Old 06-20-2002, 03:31 AM
Trailblazer

Yeah I don't know what good breaking the down into thumbnails is ..lol it takes just as long to load the page ..so might aswell have the whole picture out in front :-)
My 2001 MX/Trail Raptor

Old 06-20-2002, 02:04 PM
Range Rover

Question to the dude wit the sweet raptor. How long did it take u to get the raptor engine out and everything else, Because I want to powdercoat my frame that color? And how much did the powdercoating cost? Its very sweet and like the color scheme.

Old 06-21-2002, 01:40 PM
Range Rover

ok....it took me 2 full days to get the bike stripped down...i was very maticulus in doing the tear down....actually **** is a better word to discribe how i did it...put all the bolts a marked bags....made notes on things as i did the tear down....if you take your time and be organized it's not hard at all...the paint job on the frame is a silverview powdercoat with a silver glitter clearcoat....i had the frame reinforced /welded at some points that i cracked the frame....stock suspension was not even close to handling how i ride and jump...i had the metal bracket that holds my DG nerf bars to the frame also painted the same....it made a huge difference on how my raptor looks...total cost of paint/welding $300....had it done in about a week....local paint shop in connecticut....

second question.....how do i like the sparks 690 kit....two words....no equal...the motor rocks....really fast and powerful....you cant believe how much horsepower and torque it has now....and i havent even got it tuned properly...i have been increasing the jets sizes....going to 150/152 main jets on the 35mm FCR carbs...right now my motor is still breaking up when i get am around 3/4 to full throttle....when i power shift... i hit the rev limiter really easy....the motor rev's like no other now....and i got the mid range cam......the raptor with a +2 swingarm will wheely when the tires hook up in 3rd gear....the motor has enough torque that when the tires are hooking up and i shift from 3 to 4th...the front end will go skyward quickly.....i can pass guys on the track...just by rolling on the throttle.....so far this season...i have take (2) 4th's, (1) 5th, and a 17th..in the four races i have competed in, in the NEATV-MX season here in New England....i race in the open B class.....this class is very competitive and hard to finish in the top 5....i will do much better once i get the suspension and motor tuned properly...everytime i ride it ..i get faster...i am very happy with my raptor...and if you know him....just ask MIKE WALSH of Walsh Racecraft....he has ridden my raptor....he told me it was the fastest MX quads he has every ridden....THEMOOSE...i highly recommend the sparks 690 kit...you wont be disappointed.........more pictures to come...i am going to take some more high resolution pics of the completed raptor...so they look good as the rolling chassis ones.....thanks for the commments......
herbdon out........

Old 06-21-2002, 04:04 PM
Range Rover

Whats the site for the swingarm You have ? And i htink its sweet but how long did it take You to take out the engine?

Old 06-21-2002, 10:28 PM
Trailblazer

Well figure on a good 3 hours to take the engine out ..that is with catalogging everything and making sure you remember what goes where ..because it doesn't matter how many engines you have taken apart you always forget little things and it's nice to be able to just see where you went wrong rather then trial and error..drain the coolant/oil.then you need to take off the motor mounts,exhaust,gastank,front plastic,carb's,chain,footpeg,(brake side or shift side up to you which side you want to take the motor out), Head stay,swing arm pivot bolt (don't take it all the way out as it is a bitch to bet back in ,just enough to get the motor out)Clutch cable,coolant and oil lines ..that's about all i can think of without being there and looking at one ..I don't know how much trouble it is to get the engine out with the head and valve cover on since everytime I have pulled mine they were already removed (I would assume not much harder)now if you are going to get the frame powder coated then we are talking some work .. you need to have it sand blasted .you have to remove all of your bearings and put a new bolt in every hole of the frame. (NOT THE GOOD ONES unless you want all bolts to be powder coated the same color.)this keeps sand out of your frame and when you get it powder coated keeps the paint out aswell.

I have a 686cc piston in mine aswell It's only called a 690 because it's "Curtis Sparks 690 kit" but mine is NOT a Curtis Spankey kit. .It was ported and polished by a friend of mine who owns his own shop..He installed lager valves and did a 6 angle valve job.ported the case's and matched gaskets and all that ..well anyway the 686 piston is a great buy .it totally changes the machine into something would normally be average and makes it a torque monster that is hard to control (keep the front end down and pointed the right way) you literally have to have the Quad pointed the way you want to go because sliding is very hard to do, if it hooks up at the wrong time you will go the way it's pointed ..like it or not..I trial ride and I ice race mine and had a problem of the rims spinning inside the tires (beadlocks this year will cure that) but I took 6th in open B out of 8 races and missed 3 of those 8 races (out of town)..Racing against stroked and completely built to the hilt banshee's ,I would out pull most of them on the straights (boy talk about making someone mad) but loose in the corners, that was my fault since it was my first year racing with second or third year racers and I didn't have my handling set right. there was and still is No other class you can race a Mod Raptor in for a first year racer. Guess it was my fault for having the money to build it for my first year of racing. Well anyway my point being I'm VERY HAPPY WITH MY 686 RAPTOR and would recommend it to anyone.It has proven to be very reliable and FAST!

Old 06-22-2002, 12:42 AM
Trailblazer

herbdon how old are you????I saw one of picture with little kid....is it you????

Quick Reply: MY MX RAPTOR PICS