Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

2nd best strait paddle tire?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2002, 10:44 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It seems the best strait paddle tire is the hauler/extreme. Who makes the 2nd best strait paddle tire? How much difference from the skat trak? TIA

Old 06-22-2002, 07:42 PM
Pro Rider

IMO the best tire is the Extreme Hauler & the 2nd best is the regular Hauler.

However since you want to know about other brands here goes,
Kenda Geckos, Bansheewarrior has them on his Warrior & doesn't like them. They tried to make a tire that has the traction of a straight paddle & the turning abilities of a angled paddles, I don't think it works good as a compromise tire.

Maxxis Roosters, they may be ok for a smaller quad but aren't for big bore quads.
A guy I race with in Atoka had them on his DS, He spun them hard. I was in 3rd gear at 6800 RPM's on my Raptor with 8 paddle 22x11x10 Extreme Haulers at the finsh line (100 yards on sand) & he was in 5th gear on the rev limiter at the same point. Their just not enough tire for big bore quads.

Sand Tires Unlimited Paddla Brats. I have no first hand experiance with these tires, no one I know runs them. I don't know if that by itself says somthing about them or not. They are built diffrent than the Skat Trak as they are a molded tire instead of a bonded paddle.

Hopes this helps.

PS, I just got back from Little Sahara & the sand was as powdery as sifted flour!! My Extremes hooked up good & I didn't have any problems climbing, doing tree shots or rim riding! They are great tires!

Old 06-22-2002, 09:12 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Thanks Moose,

Bill from the DS forum likes the padlabrats. I like the way they look but they are even more or at least as expensive as the haulers. Don't know what the extremes cost, can't ever find them. I went to chaparral today, they have haulers. Had one set of 22x11x10 left and wanted $255 + tax etc for them with douglas .125 wheels. I didn't want .125 so I asked about .160 and he said they don't sell .160 just .125 and .190. I made a joke about getting the .190 for the price of the .125 and chaparrals famous smart *** attitude came out so I left without them. I'll proly go back and get them though. Maybe. Whats your thought on .125 wheels for the sand? TIA

Old 06-22-2002, 10:30 PM
Pro Rider

Go to Jims sand toys, They are at Little Sahara, OK & they had some in stock when I was there today. I think the price was $249 on Douglass .160's. JMAC650 said he just ordered some from them Fri. The web site is still under construction but you can get the phone number there.

I also have the .160's but it depends on where you ride. At Sahara you may hit a tree root every now & then, but mostly I just wanted a little extra insurance so I got the .160's.

Don't settle for your 2nd choice if you want the Extremes track them down. You'll be glad you did.

Old 06-22-2002, 10:35 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Thanks, I went ahead and bout the 22x11x10 Haulers just a bit ago. Going to Little Sahara Utah and St Anthonys Idaho 1 week from today. I have Sand Sharks now and I will put those on my stock Raptor that I have. They work surprisingly good to me. I'm sure I'll be happier with the Haulers though. Extremes will come one day. Maybe for the 2003 Raptor that I want. Shh, don't tell the wife. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Thanks for the help.

Old 06-23-2002, 02:38 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

It might be to late since you said that you bought them already but don't get .125s unless all you do is drag. I have Sand Sharks on .125s, I didn't know any better when I got mine. They have more flat spots than a stop sign. The first one came from running over a small, like 1" in diameter, stick that was floating down the creek. It has been nothing but trouble since then, they won't hold air for more than two hours. I am not sure about the weight difference but rings would help in 125s and might still weigh less than 160s.When ever you try the new paddles out let me know how well they work, mainly turning perfomance over the sharks. I have been wanting to try some new paddles but I don't know which ones.

Old 06-23-2002, 03:34 AM
Range Rover

i am going 2 pismo in a few weeks and want eather haulers or extreams. i dont want a tire that will rip opean easy
but i want the one with the most perf. for the drags. what are u guys feelings on the two?

Old 06-23-2002, 01:08 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

No, I hardly drag race at all except between friends. I'll jump in for a run or two at Glamis or Pismo with people I don't know. My bike is not built and it won't hang with the drag banshes and ported and polished shees so after my azz woopin I move on to the fun and frolic of the dunes. I don't recall any creeks, rocks, sticks and such in the Dunes. I'm not a massive jumper either. A few feet off the ground and 10-15' long is all for me. What worries me in the Dunes is glass bottles these jerkes leave laying around. Haulers are only 2 ply and won't withstand a broken bottle IMO. My holeshots are on .190s So I don't have to re mount for each occassion. If the .125s prrove to be weak I will remount them on some .190s. I didn't want the .125s but money is tight. I shouldn't have bought these at all with the vacation coming up. The .190s are approx $30 dollars more. I may need that extra $30.00 right now for Montana fishing permits. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] I think I'll be ok with the .125s for now. I hope. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Badass,

When you going to Pismo? I might be able to make it the last weekend in July. Everyone here just about swears by the Extremes. The Haulers used to be the choice but the newer Extremes seem to have over taken that spot. Chappy can order them but they do not stock them. Also Rockymountainatv.com has them as well with decent prices.

Old 06-23-2002, 01:24 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

You should be fine for running in the dunes with the .125's. You gonna love the Haulers!

RoostKing...

Old 06-23-2002, 01:46 PM
Range Rover

I will be going out tuesday morning on the 2nd and will be comming back on the 6th. i am alwaysup for a trip. but i am only 16 so i dont have a ways to get there maybe i can con somebody into taking me. the guys i normanly ride with are all going that week so it hard for themto take off another day. I want the EXtreams but if they are going to rip open then i will just get haulers because at Glamis there is alot of glass.
peace

Quick Reply: 2nd best strait paddle tire?