Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Crappy Australian arms or not???

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2002, 09:09 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can you guys take a look at these front a-arms and tell me what you think of them? They are made locally here in Australia and are supposed to be similar in design to Lonestar arms with minor changes. I would prefer to have arms made in the US from a manufacturer I am familar with, but they are difficult to purchase here.

Here are the specs:
+2+1 arms fully adjustable
Chromoly tig welded
powder coated
Telflon lined heim joints
Lower arms have nylon bushings
"Italian" made balljoints (the guy tells me they are the same as the joints used in US arms)
No reaming required

Cost is about $1450 Australian (about $650US)

Let me know what you think. Do you see anything to be concerned about? Do they look like quality to you? How do you think the compare to other arms you have seen/used?

Try these links

http://us.f1.yahoofs.com/users/38814470/bc/raptor/Adjustable+%2b2+A-arms+(1).jpg?bci0TP9AZBvsvFwC

http://us.f1.yahoofs.com/users/38814470/bc/raptor/Raptor+A-arms+(1).jpg?bcysUP9AGPJ_gf6h

Thanks all

Old 06-23-2002, 10:20 AM
Pro Rider

It look good to me. It look like same type of Timmy Boy Design which have same look to Lone star.
I don't have any concern except the price. It the your dollar higher then USA? Pricey for sure.

Old 06-23-2002, 07:25 PM
Pro Rider

they look alright to me.

Old 06-23-2002, 10:37 PM
Pro Rider

Components and fabrication look good, but the welds look sloppy, a little cold, not great technique, with too much filler for TIG. They look more like a MIG weld to me, which is not appropriate for Chrome Moly unless heat-treated, and generally not the way it is done. TIG is usually a very pretty weld, MIG is harder to get a clean finished product in one pass. Hopefully this is just an early pre-production pair and the pair you get will have cleaner welds. There shouldn't be a problem, I'm sure the welds are plenty strong, but for that kind of dough the welds should be excellent. TimmyBoys by contrast, have impeccable welds, with a tight fit-up needing very little filler rod.
Side by side anyone can see the difference. I am an amateur welder with 30 years experience. I am not good enough to work for TimmyBoy, but it looks like I could get work in Australia!
.....For less dough you can get a better product from the U.S.

Old 06-24-2002, 09:10 AM
Trailblazer

Yeah the welds look like MIG to me as well, although I am told they were TIG'ed. If the price was a bit lower I would buy them. I want arms from the US but if they get caught at customs, duty is EXPENSIVE!!!! I am from the USA and I miss being able to pick up the phone and get parts the next day. Quads are not as popular here as they are in the USA and parts are hard to get.

Fourlix, No problem getting work here, especially a welding job, job market is booming here. Build me a Raptorette and I will hook ya up.

another question for you, I have Works pro-series triple rate fronts (5/8 shaft), fully adjustable with adjustable compression and rebound. After I put on the +2 arms, do you think I compensate for the added width by tightening up the spring and adjusting the compression or will I have to re-valve? the shocks have always seemed a bit on the stiff side and I usually run the compression on the lighter settings. What do you think.

thanks all

Old 06-24-2002, 05:34 PM
Pro Rider

Sounds like you should just try your shocks the way they are. There aren't that many springs to choose from, mainsprings for triple rate works shocks (7.6&quot jump from 170 lbs to 215 lbs, and a slight increase in dampening should be right there at the end of your screwdriver.
.....Whoever is selling these A-arms may not be that well informed. A lot of "sales" people have no idea what the difference between TIG or MIG is, or know what Chrome Moly is either. I would suspect the welder knows, and if he is buying the tubing then using a MIG welder, it might be mild steel instead of Chrome Moly. I think a little furthur investigation is called for. Find someone in the organization that knows what they are talking about. It don't add up.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img]

Old 06-25-2002, 01:06 AM
jmc
Trailblazer

Good luck finding anyone in that "organisation" that knows what they're talking about.A couple of blow-ins that have had quads for 5 minutes,think they're experts and copy imported parts without knowing if or even why such parts work.
Give me a call.I've got 27 years ATV racing,riding and accessory sales under my belt.Remember,experience counts.
www.jmcracing.com.au