Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Quick comparison of 600 vs 660 in the muck

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2002, 05:51 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The tank was over half full....

Yes, i have noticed if you let the tank get really low, it is even hard to keep running at start-up. I have played around with this a couple of times now...even with a FULL tank and it does it. I can repeat the sputtering on demand. I am riding with the dealership/shop guys tomarrow and will see what they say. We are taking a trip through some of the worst mud you can imagine (the type where a winch is manditory [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] )

I will post on what they think it is and if i/they can fix it.

Jonathan

Old 06-25-2002, 09:28 PM
TDS
Weekend Warrior

I have the same problem. It isn't steam or gas level.
It is somthing to do with the clutches (belt or wet clutch).
I have 26" Mud Bugs and when the bike is in the deep mud and you let the RPM's get down to low, the drivetrain just stalls and the motor misses. If you gun it it will never stop.
This is not the limiter because the RPM's or the speed don't get a chance to climb up. This is my first automatic and I don't have any recent experience with the clutch system. Does anyone have a fix for this problem or should I just play with the weights and springs for a better low end combination.
I have seen the steam problem several times and notice that if you go through the water at a high RPM or the motor is cooled enough the steam doesn't seem to cause the motor missing. I think this is because there isn't enough water to cause much loss of power when the motor is firing much faster.
I have had the low end power problem in cases where there has been no steam comming of the motor so I am pretty sure that it is two different problems.
If anyone has any info it would be a great help.

Old 06-26-2002, 12:43 AM
Pro Rider

TDS,

I have been reading about different clutch applications. The only things that i have found, is a clutch kit for the 600 (which they say will work) and another company that is making a clutch kit for big bores. If you would like, i could email you the company (competitor) and tell me what you think?

I too, think that this just may be a clutch issue.

THANKS

Jonathan

Old 06-26-2002, 01:13 AM
Pro Rider

Guys~

I dunno...you have me stumped on this one. I've been in the thick of it, stopped, well you know the story, and haven't had something like this happen to me. Please keep us posted if you figure it out.

SilverBear

Old 06-26-2002, 05:26 PM
Pro Rider

Will do, buddy.

I am going to try and get all limiters bypassed first, before i start dumping money into it.

Jonathan

Old 06-26-2002, 05:30 PM
Pro Rider

Theres been lots of talk about this over at Highlifter as well. I shared this spark plug boot info (thanks frogman) over there but so far it hasnt stopped anyones bike from sputtering. Im anxious to hear what the dealer has to say after ya'll go riding together.

Old 06-26-2002, 05:59 PM
TDS
Weekend Warrior

Frogman28

I would be great if you sent me that info.
I have to try something. It's the last mod to make this thing go like it should.
Email: smithto@telusplanet.net
Thanks

Todd

Old 06-26-2002, 08:51 PM
Pro Rider

HAY FROGMAN,
Did you try your wife's Grizzly? Does it do the same thing?

Old 06-27-2002, 12:12 AM
Pro Rider

OK, here is the deal (from the mouth of a LOUD mouth dealer...) hehe

We tested my bike/wife's bike/two other grizly's. 1 with DD's, 1 with ITP's, and 2 stock.

NO MODS besides the tires and storage stuff.

The bikes with the big tires did the exact same thing in the mud...SPUTTER'd. BUT the bikes with the stock tires were able to turn them over, NOT all the time though. Sometimes yes, sometimes no. We tried the bikes in just 4x4 without dif lock and they would spin them "easier" than with the dif lock on.

After looking into the schematics of the bikes, we have "jointly" decided that the 22 mph limiter is somewhat a rev limiter too. The reasoning behind this is, when comparing the bikes, all of them sputtered at different speeds and not at the exact 22mph. Some, it was as soon as you tried to get a peak on the rev's. Also, we checked this while in reverse too. THE EXACT same sputter/loss of power. Concluding that they must be somewhat the same type of limiter.

I know that silverbear has not had a problem, but he is also bypassed on both limiters. This is now the next project and i will let you know the out come. I might be doing this as soon as tomarrow, if not, this weekend. TIME ALLOWING. I have alot of riding to do!!! hehe

TDS: the clutch kit that i am talking about is at highlifter. You can find them at the name with a .com after it [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Just look in the catalog and you will see the clutch kit that they offer. Right now, you have to go with another company/engine shop for port/polish/blueprint, boring, pistion, and cam. At the moment, they are not making the piston/cam for the 660, only the 600.

I will be posting another post on Warn winch and MOOSE mounting bracket that ya'll might want to check out.

STICK TOGETHER! We learn more!

Jonathan

Old 06-27-2002, 02:26 AM
Pro Rider

Frogman~

Thank you for a very informative post! I can't confirm this, but I do remember hearing about a "tork limiter" on the Grizzly. Never knew what that was, and have never been able to track that down if it does exist. But...it would also fit into this scenario.

SilverBear

Quick Reply: Quick comparison of 600 vs 660 in the muck